General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have experience with hip arthritis? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-07 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Anyone have experience with hip arthritis?
Hello, all. So after a few years of hip/groin pain flare up on my right side, I had the same issue on the left side. I had an MRI arthrogram done on my left hip and it came back showing mild arthritis in both hips. Thankfully no labral tear or serious cartilage loss. I have not been able to discuss with my doc yet as he did not have my results when I went for my follow up appointment. I know I need to talk to my doc but I was wondering if anyone has had this diagnosis also. I am only 38 so seems a bit young to me to start with arthritis. I wonder if I need to quit running. Good grief, I have never been able to get any decent weekly mileage due to my hips. My longest run race was 3.7 k. :-( I really want to do longer distance run races and triathlon. May not be in my cards though. I think trying some Hokas and trail running may be helpful. For now, I am swimming and cycling. Had been walking but I have a knee issue that flares with walking. Yeah, I am a mess after one lousy year of tri training. I need some deep healing and smarter training when I get back to it. Thanks for reading.

2013-09-07 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Anyone have experience with hip arthritis?
I have arthritis in my left hip......doctors say hip replacement one day.  For now I keep moving, and end up with a cortizone shot about every three years or so when I get it really inflamed.  I also receive ART (active release therapy) treatment on a fairly regular basis (about once a month).  So far it has kept me playing.  I'm 53....was first diagnosed when I was 40....so you may have more time left than you think.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-09-07 9:56 AM
2013-09-07 10:21 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks, LB. This is encouraging. I was doing AR also for a bit prior to really knowing what was going on. It was helpful but our budget is a bit tight right now. I will have to get back to it when the money is better.
2013-09-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Expert
Not hip arthritis, but general joint arthritis experience (neck, back, ankles, knees, fingers, toes...)

what has been working for me really well is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_dose_naltrexoneat night

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrexin the morning
2013-09-07 3:31 PM

, Alabama
Yup I have osteoarthritis in both hips. I am 53 now was told about 4 years ago when I got xrayed for something else. Was told it was the worst loss of cartridge the dr had seen in someone my age and I would need hip replacement in 5ish years. Was told to stop running, which I did for three years. Then decided stuff it I miss running and I am getting fat I might as well trade in totally used up hips as well preserved news. This is one of the reasons I took up triathlon, I accept that I will never be able to do marathons, and the other wo disciplines are low impact. I got myself a pair of Hokas recently and they have really helped. I also run on the treadmill as much as possible to reduce impact, and just ease off and take ibuprofen when it gets really sore.
2013-09-08 7:38 AM

I am 38 and just found out I have the beginning of hip arthritis. I have some impingement and probably a small labral tear and am recently signed up for my first Ironman next year. He told me to go for it, but that we would probably meet again when the pain became worse and surgery will probably have to happen. My hip hurts now just sitting here. Oh well, off to run.

2013-09-08 7:55 AM

Yep-I have great deal of it in my R hip that has been going on for a couple years( I thought it was referred from my bad back). MRI in April shows bipolar cartilage loss, labral tear and muscle tears/bursitis. Lots of "remodeling" from chronic issues.
Things I have done the last 6 months to keep running: Lost weight(22 pounds-I am a big girl now weighing 137 at 5'6"). I only run 3 days a week and try not to run 2 days in a row. I use ice all the time. I have a TENS unit I use after each run, I hang on an inversion table after every run. I strengthen glut med as much as I can(those are the muscles that are torn a bit). I kinesiotape and use biofreeze PRN. I also take Mobic and occas Tylenol.
As I write this, it seems crazy to have to do all this to run a few miles but it is all worth it to me. It is for my mental health.
I know at my age, 55, that once I start poking inside my joint, it is a slippery slope to surgery and then no running. So I figure my hip is already trashed, so I will get as much mileage out of it as I can then think about surgery which probably will be a hip replacement.
Oh, I just bought my second pair of Hokas! I also changed how I run and it has helped.I do 4 min run, 1 min walk for anything over 45 min with a tight ab contraction to support the pelvis. I have also tried ART and acupuncture both I cannot afford right now.
Last weekend I finished a 2 hour run/walk with this routine. I have 2 races coming up in Oct ending with the Army Ten Miler in DC.

LB,You say you get cortisone every couple years. Do you still run a bit? Did they suggest surgery ie debridement?

Good luck, I hope this helped.
2013-09-08 7:56 AM
in reply to: kjspedrn

User image

I went to see an Ortho after my knee injury thinking I tore a ligament and would need surgery (as I couldn't walk up the stairs) but the MRI came back with arthritis. At 39 I was pretty surprised because I've always associated arthritis with the elderly. However, the Doctor said its pretty common to show early signs of arthritis when your middle aged.

If it starts becomeing more severe you can get monthly injections for your affected joints that helps lubricate them. I personally decided not to do this because the injections themselves have side effects. Since my issue was mild I have resorted to using the supplement Glucosamine and its been working really well for me.
2013-09-08 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks for all the replies. It is good to hear that running is still possible. I also am having trouble with my knee which is actually worse than my hips right now. I know from past experience with the hips that they get better with enough rest from running. This knee thing is new this year and is goofy. Sometimes it feels better after cycling but sometimes worse. Running is out of the question right now. I also had an mri of the knee which showed a whole bunch of things but nothing major. My GP orderd the knee mri and had her medical assistant call me with the results. The medical assistant said my knee was normal. I got a copy and was surprised to find that I have a small bakers cyst, popliteal tendinopathy, mild degeneration of the meiscus and acl. No tears but not what I call normal. At this point I think some serious rest is in order. I am still trying to wrap my head around that. I absolutely hate not running but I can manage if I can cycle. I think I need rest from cycling too though. Swimming is not my favorite at all. Oh well. If I can get strong for next year maybe I can actually manage to get in more than 1 sprint. This year has sucked big time!
2013-09-08 2:37 PM

User image

Melon Presser

YUP. I had a (then rare, not so much now) tropical virus that destroyed a lot of the cartilage in my joints.

Here's what's helped me (and a lot of other ailing runners, FWIW):

- Much easier and shorter but more frequent running. Like, as little as 10min a day sometimes (and this would be for Ironman training) ... but I try to run 6 days/week. I really believe, and the enormous amount of anecdotal evidence on this, that runners looking to build, or build back, are better served by running 5min/day most days of the week than two separate runs of 15min / week when starting out, for example. And build back very, very gradually. Short, frequent, easy, but be comfortable where you're at for a couple weeks before increasing. And consider increasing by LESS than 10%/week (taking both duration and intensity into account).

- Run/walk intervals (sometimes even 1min:1min).

- I've replaced up to a third of running with aquajogging.

- Running in soft sand. It's a lot harder, so probably even less time (if you're going to run more frequently, like, 5min or less)

- Glucosamine/chondroitin in the recommended ratio, with added MSM (a good bit of it, many joint formulas just have a touch).

- Astaxanthin is a great natural anti-inflammatory.

- As others have said (ART, PT, whatever) some kind of therapy. Chiropractic and sports massages have helped me tremendously.

- YOGA and STRENGTH TRAINING (can be done through yoga or Pilates or a number of other ways, including weight training). Keeps bone mass good, keeps joints lubricated, builds up and strengthens other soft tissues (including muscles) to be able to support joints with reduced cartilage.

Good luck!

2013-09-08 4:32 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by desertchica Thanks for all the replies. It is good to hear that running is still possible. I also am having trouble with my knee which is actually worse than my hips right now. I know from past experience with the hips that they get better with enough rest from running. This knee thing is new this year and is goofy. Sometimes it feels better after cycling but sometimes worse. Running is out of the question right now. I also had an mri of the knee which showed a whole bunch of things but nothing major. My GP orderd the knee mri and had her medical assistant call me with the results. The medical assistant said my knee was normal. I got a copy and was surprised to find that I have a small bakers cyst, popliteal tendinopathy, mild degeneration of the meiscus and acl. No tears but not what I call normal. At this point I think some serious rest is in order. I am still trying to wrap my head around that. I absolutely hate not running but I can manage if I can cycle. I think I need rest from cycling too though. Swimming is not my favorite at all. Oh well. If I can get strong for next year maybe I can actually manage to get in more than 1 sprint. This year has sucked big time!

Interesting......I'm 10 days recovering from knee surgery for a torn meniscus....with permission already to ride 10 minutes per day and looking to be back running in about a month.  It's my left knee....same as my hip arthritis....same side I get all most running injuries on....as far as I'm concerned, it starts with the hip. 

Someone above asked if I still run a bit ..... yeah, before my knee injury I was at about 870 miles for the year....last year I battled PF and ended up at about 870 miles as well.  I'm looking to get back on my feet and get to 1000 running miles for the year......at least salvage that pre-season goal.

I look at it this way......I'm not stopping.  I don't know when my hip will say enough and need to be replaced, but I don't worry about it.  I deal with the injuries as the come up, keep doing what I can outside of running, and then get back to running when I get healed up.  It's not about triathlon......that's just the pay off.....it's about staying able to play.

2013-09-08 6:20 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Depends what kind of arthritis it is. I was diagnosed with hip arthritis pretty young also. I kept running whenever it wasn't too painful and kept exercising. I lost some weight and now it's better than it was 12 years ago. By building up muscle strength and keeping your weight down as low as you can, you put less pressure on the joint. I haven't found any cures (glucosamine, gluten free) that work. They didn't seem to make any difference to me. Sorry. It's not something that seems curable but there are a lot worse things.
2013-09-09 1:03 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by TriAya

YUP. I had a (then rare, not so much now) tropical virus that destroyed a lot of the cartilage in my joints.

Here's what's helped me (and a lot of other ailing runners, FWIW):

- Much easier and shorter but more frequent running. Like, as little as 10min a day sometimes (and this would be for Ironman training) ... but I try to run 6 days/week. I really believe, and the enormous amount of anecdotal evidence on this, that runners looking to build, or build back, are better served by running 5min/day most days of the week than two separate runs of 15min / week when starting out, for example. And build back very, very gradually. Short, frequent, easy, but be comfortable where you're at for a couple weeks before increasing. And consider increasing by LESS than 10%/week (taking both duration and intensity into account).

- Run/walk intervals (sometimes even 1min:1min).

- I've replaced up to a third of running with aquajogging.

- Running in soft sand. It's a lot harder, so probably even less time (if you're going to run more frequently, like, 5min or less)

- Glucosamine/chondroitin in the recommended ratio, with added MSM (a good bit of it, many joint formulas just have a touch).

- Astaxanthin is a great natural anti-inflammatory.

- As others have said (ART, PT, whatever) some kind of therapy. Chiropractic and sports massages have helped me tremendously.

- YOGA and STRENGTH TRAINING (can be done through yoga or Pilates or a number of other ways, including weight training). Keeps bone mass good, keeps joints lubricated, builds up and strengthens other soft tissues (including muscles) to be able to support joints with reduced cartilage.

Good luck!

Thanks this is really helpful.  I have never hear of of astaxanthin.  I read up on it and may have to get some.  My hubby and I already take a good quality fish oil and tumeric supplement.  Interesting that more frequent running works well for you.  It makes sense but doesn't seem to work for me.  The more frequently I run the more injuries I have.  Although to be fair, I have never done the 5-6 days a week starting from completely injury free.  I will be heading to my first yoga class tomorrow.  Laughing  I most definately need to get back to strength training as I have really let that go in the last month or so.

2013-09-09 1:07 PM
in reply to: kjspedrn

User image

Veteran
Tucson

Originally posted by kjspedrn I am 38 and just found out I have the beginning of hip arthritis. I have some impingement and probably a small labral tear and am recently signed up for my first Ironman next year. He told me to go for it, but that we would probably meet again when the pain became worse and surgery will probably have to happen. My hip hurts now just sitting here. Oh well, off to run.

Do you think that the impingement is related to the arthritis?  I have had a physical therapist tell me that I have hip impingement and I also thought that I would have a small labral tear.  Turns out that there was no tear.  I am thinking the impingement comes from the joint imflammation that comes with arthritis.  Not sure though.  I have been told that I don't have the bony changes that usually come with impingement and labral tears.

2013-09-09 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Well this is what I tell my active pts with arthritis regardless of age.  You need to choose how you are going to use your hip miles.  Personally I would rather see you active and healthy with some soreness than on the couch.  If you could not see the DJD on plain film and its only seen on MRI I submit its probably very early and mild.  All good suggestions as above and I would be sure to see an orthopedist if you have not as well.  Keeping a normal wieght for your height will help too if that is an issue.  Good luck
2013-09-09 1:42 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Socks Well this is what I tell my active pts with arthritis regardless of age.  You need to choose how you are going to use your hip miles.  Personally I would rather see you active and healthy with some soreness than on the couch.  If you could not see the DJD on plain film and its only seen on MRI I submit its probably very early and mild.  All good suggestions as above and I would be sure to see an orthopedist if you have not as well.  Keeping a normal wieght for your height will help too if that is an issue.  Good luck

^HUGE point

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have experience with hip arthritis? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone else having trouble logging on to USAT?

Started by jillian_o
Views: 826 Posts: 2

2011-05-24 9:29 AM riorio

Anyone else having issues with the heat?? Pages: 1 2

Started by lkc01234
Views: 3322 Posts: 45

2009-06-28 2:03 AM meblack

Anyone else having problems downloading from your Garmin?

Started by kcovert1
Views: 2281 Posts: 16

2009-01-03 3:08 PM kcovert1

Interesting experience with right hip flexor injury

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 2698 Posts: 16

2007-10-16 6:18 AM drdi

anyone else having problems with editing log?

Started by Tizzy
Views: 966 Posts: 2

2006-06-27 11:10 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.

date : April 14, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I decided that, after having a new hip put in 11 months ago, I needed a new lifestyle. Just wondering if there's anything that I should know about-especially for the running and biking.
date : May 12, 2008
comments : 0
During a "power yoga" session I noticed pain with hip adduction/internal rotation. Running and biking don't seem to bother it, as long as I don't push it. I still have achy pain with walking.

date : February 11, 2008
Is my childhood groin injury to blame for my recent pain while running? It just hurts when I'm running, not during day to day activities.
date : January 14, 2008
I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : April 11, 2007
The common conditions seen would be: a femoral neck stress fracture, a hip flexor tendonitis, or a hip joint cartilage problem such as a labral tear or arthritis of the hip joint.

date : December 18, 2006
Are there other triathletes who have compensated for lack of running due to arthritis? How is that done or how is it managed?