General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first bike and new to all of this... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-07 11:42 AM

User image

Subject: My first bike and new to all of this...
So I decided to buy a tri bike for my first bike. Road it a couple of times and loved it. Now the only thing is I haven't been riding that much because I really don't know where to go ride at here in south florida. Not really sure where there are bicycle lanes at and etc. the other thing is I'm kinda nerve starting this journey on my own. Any advice...

2013-09-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: Shanonc347

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Subject: RE: My first bike and new to all of this...
There are multiple groups that ride in the Key Biscayne area. Some start in Coco Walk, head to the Key, and do a few laps before heading back for coffee. Others pull into the first gravel lot in Key Biscayne and do a few laps to the end of Crandon Blvd and back. The first bridge looks hard, but the cross wind at Virginia Key is the real kicker. The bike lanes are wide and there are almost always cyclists on the road. So you can ride alone or in pelotons. The loop is about 14 miles up and back.
2013-09-09 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4849471

User image

vertseven thanks a lot. Just kinda nerves to start riding with others because I'm new to everything.
2013-09-10 11:54 AM

New user

I'm in N. FL and I was kind of the same way when I started with my tri bike as I had always ridden mountain bikes before. What I ended up with was a formula of sorts for deciding which roads to ride on.

First I prefer roads with a bike lane.
Then its roads with a wide shoulder
Then its side roads with a center turn lane
Avoid roads that don't have any of these - unless it's a side road with very light traffic.

I will sometimes scout roads/courses in the car.

One other thing - put a blinking red light on the back of your bike and a blinking white light on the front of your bike and turn them on for every ride. It is just amazing how much the blinking lights changes (improves) the behavior of people in motorized vehicles.

Ride defensively and after a while you'll get comfortable with it.

-Mark
2013-09-12 8:58 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Shanonc347,

This is why I brought up the Key Biscayne ride. The bike lanes are very wide and there is little cross traffic. It's also a straight line up and back so no crazy turns or intersections. Miami isn't the most cyclist friendly city, but this is a huge exception. You will encounter groups of all ability levels. From the guys that hammer at 30 mph, to the more leisurely that cruise at 15 mph. I used to live in the Grove and this was my bread and butter ride on weekends.

Just like your first group run or OW swim, it will take a few times to get the nerves out, but you'll be fine.
2013-09-13 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4851366

User image

Here it goes... Tomorrow I'm going to head out to key biscayne. So nerves going there all on my own but I know that if I don't do it I will never ride this thing! And it kinda sucks I really don't know anyone out there riding. I am so looking forward to getting out there and knowing I will love it! Wish me lucky! I will let you guys know how it goes..
Thanks so much for the advice if you ever want to ride just let me know

2013-10-03 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida
Well ? How's it going ?

Where did you buy your bike ? Most LBS will be happy to help you connect with places to ride, and other nubes ...

2013-10-16 1:40 PM
in reply to: dan king

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Check with a local bike store. I lived in Planation recently and the bike store gave me a map of broward county and it was like a ski map with GREEN for safe roads Yellow not so safe, RED dangerous etc. Weston is a great place to ride and there are lots of cyclists out there on the weekend and A1A is a good place to ride too
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first bike and new to all of this... Rss Feed