General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 WC Age Group Winner Suspended Previously From Cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-08 3:03 PM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: IM 70.3 WC Age Group Winner Suspended Previously From Cycling

Today in the IM 70.3 World Championships, the overall age group winner had the second fastest bike split of the day including pros.  His bike split was faster than overall pro winner Sebastian Kienle by over 3 minutes and he was 14th overall inclduing pros.

The man who put up all these impressive splits is Antonio Colom, former pro cyclist for Katusha and Astana.  In 2009, he was suspended for two years after a positive EPO test.

Obviously his time is up, and he's served his suspension from cycling but now taking his talents to triathlon.

My attention was brought to all this from Patrick Evoe's tweet earlier today:

Although he's now clean (supposedly) again, how do you feel about him competing in triathlon?  Evoe certainly doesn't like it.

Edited by C_Hassard 2013-09-08 3:06 PM

(evoe.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
evoe.PNG (16KB - 15 downloads)

2013-09-08 4:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: IM 70.3 WC Age Group Winner Suspended Previously From Cycling
he payed his time. Test him again... if he passes, nothing to do but congratulate him.

Just goes to show the difference between even mediocre pro cyclists and the uber-biker triathletes.

* more importantly, does anyone know anything about Bryan(CD)?

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-09-08 4:33 PM
2013-09-08 4:35 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro
He served his time.....I have this to say, "welcome back".
2013-09-08 4:46 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

NC
This best thing about a two year suspension is the EPO-fueled training it allows.

2013-09-08 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by Leegoocrap he payed his time. Test him again... if he passes, nothing to do but congratulate him. Just goes to show the difference between even mediocre pro cyclists and the uber-biker triathletes. * more importantly, does anyone know anything about Bryan(CD)?

Bryan was in a crash on the bike, is okay less some skin but broke his pedal and thus unable to continue on the bike.

2013-09-08 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Leegoocrap he payed his time. Test him again... if he passes, nothing to do but congratulate him. ?

Agreed!

2013-09-08 4:55 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Champion
MA
Let him race as he served his suspension. Let the anti doping system run it's course and he is either clean or not.
2013-09-08 4:58 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by KathyG

Originally posted by Leegoocrap he payed his time. Test him again... if he passes, nothing to do but congratulate him. Just goes to show the difference between even mediocre pro cyclists and the uber-biker triathletes. * more importantly, does anyone know anything about Bryan(CD)?

Bryan was in a crash on the bike, is okay less some skin but broke his pedal and thus unable to continue on the bike.

thanks Kathy!
2013-09-08 5:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-08 5:15 PM
2013-09-08 5:20 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

Originally posted by Goosedog

This best thing about a two year suspension is the EPO-fueled training it allows.

I often wondered this myself. If you use drugs to build up a base but then go clean like a month before the race would that help or hurt the person? They built up a awesome base and then just need to call on it during the race or is it a giant crash? Either way, I think it's cheating. I never understood why people use drugs for athletics. Well I understand but not so much for triathlons. It's *supposed* to be for personal bests but I can see the sponsorships and money corrupting people.

I'm one to say that past behavior dictates future behavior. In a world of designer drugs all over the news, it seems like there's a lot lower risk of being caught, which is a shame.
2013-09-08 5:26 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Leegoocraphe payed his time. Test him again... if he passes, nothing to do but congratulate him.Just goes to show the difference between even mediocre pro cyclists and the uber-biker triathletes.* more importantly, does anyone know anything about Bryan(CD)?
. Chris, I know that your answer is the 'correct' one, but at another level it stinks. A former PRO cyclist and CONVICTED DOPER comes in and takes the AMATEUR 70.3 AG championship title. I know that this is the way it is so to speak, but it doesn't sit well with me at all. Sorry it doesn't.

I know. Nobody wants to line up with a former pro cyclist (doper or not) that can run a pretty stinking good (actually... really, really good) 1/2 marathon afterwards, especially considering he's an Age grouper.

I think the things should be addressed separately though... he *was* a doper that paid his dues... if a 2 year ban is what he got, he is ok to race again. People can learn a lesson (sometimes) personally I think former convicted dopers should be tested pretty regularly in any sport... but that's a bit of a dream in triathlon currently. (as is testing in general)

The fact that he's a former pro that crushed the 70.3WC means he should not be allowed to continue racing as an AG'er imo. He's strong enough to be finishing well within the money at pretty much any 70.3... at a certain point a mandatory upgrade seems necessary.

but... none of that changes that as the rules currently stand he's able to freely race AG.

2013-09-08 5:31 PM
in reply to: Blastman

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Blastman

Originally posted by Goosedog

I often wondered this myself. If you use drugs to build up a base but then go clean like a month before the race would that help or hurt the person? They built up a awesome base and then just need to call on it during the race or is it a giant crash? Either way, I think it's cheating. I never understood why people use drugs for athletics. Well I understand but not so much for triathlons. It's *supposed* to be for personal bests but I can see the sponsorships and money corrupting people.

I'm one to say that past behavior dictates future behavior. In a world of designer drugs all over the news, it seems like there's a lot lower risk of being caught, which is a shame.

the common hive mind thinking is that epo boosted past performance drops off after quitting, which (sort of) accounts for less amazing TdF races from past dopers that are now clean. (or cleaner)

PEDs are alive and well in triathlon. Colom is certainly not the only person in Vegas today that has had dealings with PEDs.
2013-09-08 5:33 PM

Champion
marietta

Originally posted by Goosedog This best thing about a two year suspension is the EPO-fueled training it allows.

+1  what a f'ing joke. 

2013-09-08 5:34 PM

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocraphe payed his time. Test him again... if he passes, nothing to do but congratulate him.Just goes to show the difference between even mediocre pro cyclists and the uber-biker triathletes.* more importantly, does anyone know anything about Bryan(CD)?
. Chris, I know that your answer is the 'correct' one, but at another level it stinks. A former PRO cyclist and CONVICTED DOPER comes in and takes the AMATEUR 70.3 AG championship title. I know that this is the way it is so to speak, but it doesn't sit well with me at all. Sorry it doesn't.

I didn't think about the "pro" status..... I was locked in on the now served doping suspension.  I think I agree.....his former pro status as a cyclist should make him ineligible as an AG'er.......but right now it doesn't, at least according to the rules.

2013-09-08 5:35 PM
in reply to: fattyfatfat

2013-09-08 6:24 PM

Elite

the question in my mind is does the use of EPO mean that this person's body has changed?  I know this was discussed a while ago re LA.  His body is fundamentally changed - because of drug use.

So this guy served his time and congratulations to him on his win.  He served his time within the current rules.  Maybe it's the rules that are wrong.?

2013-09-08 7:39 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Originally posted by jobaxas

the question in my mind is does the use of EPO mean that this person's body has changed?  I know this was discussed a while ago re LA.  His body is fundamentally changed - because of drug use.

So this guy served his time and congratulations to him on his win.  He served his time within the current rules.  Maybe it's the rules that are wrong.?

I think this is the "right" answer. He served his time under the rules as they are. I think its a bit much to expect someone to self ban themselves for a longer period of time than the rules say. But, that doesn't mean the rule doesn't need to be revisited. I do think a longer suspension should be handed down.
2013-09-08 8:01 PM

I can see both sides "he served his time" vs. "this doper doesn't belong in our sport."  But just as long as we are consistent about it.  If a pro triathlete tests positive, we should have the same reaction once his 2 year ban is up.  Same with AGers, Kevin Moats, etc. 

I think people are getting wrapped up in the fact that this guy was a former pro cyclist, and somehow his doping is far worse a crime than the other doping that goes on in triathlon.  IMHO, you can't pick and choose who learned their lesson and deserves a second chance and who should be black listed.

ETA: But I agree with Chris that it just goes to show the difference between a mid level pro cyclist and the fastest cycling pro triathlete.  Doesn't matter if the mid level pro cyclist is doped or not...that level of cycling is just a whole different world.  But it makes sense when an athlete devotes his life to riding...vs splitting time with swimming and running.

Edited by Jason N 2013-09-08 8:04 PM
2013-09-08 8:06 PM
in reply to: KathyG

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Originally posted by KathyG

Ouch, rough day for Bryan  

2013-09-08 8:09 PM

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-08 8:10 PM
2013-09-08 8:13 PM

Elite

Maybe it's the rules that are wrong.?
. Maybe. I don't lose sleep over this stuff as there is enough doping in the regular AG athletes that singling this guy out and no one else seems silly. It's the Internet so some people may misinterpret my post.... The guy 'won', but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Both the former PRO cycling angle and the DOPING angle. Reminds me of the 'TUCK RULE' which let the pats beat the raiders years ago. It was the 'rule' and the 'right call' but most people (non New England fans lol) felt it didn't sit right. Eventually they changed the tuck rule after more than 10 years. What rule would I make? Well last time I checked I don't own WTC so it doesn't really matter, but I would favor something along the lines of what they did for Moats.... Where allegedly he is allowed to race but isn't eligible for Kona or awards. That might not be the exact way it is for moats but that would allow the guy we are talking about in our thread to race, but not the 'age group win' at a championship race. Just my useless opinions.

I'm BOP this is never going to impact me personally - but if i'd come second in that age group in Vegas i'd feel very differentli I suspect.  I'll never knowCry

2013-09-08 8:33 PM

He was racing an an amateur, why should we care? He's just another guy doing this as a hobby. All he won today was a $4 medal, a pat on the back, and a bit of prestige, although the prestige is questionable since this is a subject on ST and here.

2013-09-08 8:36 PM

NC
Originally posted by jobaxas

I'm BOP this is never going to impact me personally - but if i'd come second in that age group in Vegas i'd feel very differentli I suspect.  I'll never knowCry

I'm slow, and a stickler. If a cheat stops me from breaking the top 25%, then I'm not happy. I think this BS about rules only apply to podium finishers is BS.

2013-09-08 9:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
If the rule is two year suspension, and he's following it, then who are we/USAT/WTC to decide what rules to follow? Sounds like the two year rule should be looked at if it isn't discouraging doping.

Don't the pros do some bio-passport thing now, where they keep taking samples, comparing them so there aren't any suspicious jumps in blood chemistry? I thought that was cleaning this up. Maybe anyone who's suspended needs to go in that program for life.

2013-09-08 9:18 PM

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I do have to say that I like the response though. The only hope that we have of cutting down/eliminating doping is for more of the collective to publicly say that its not acceptable, that if you do it, you are not welcome. If that makes even a few think twice, then that is a good thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 WC Age Group Winner Suspended Previously From Cycling Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

70.3 Las Vegas WC

Started by BigDaddyD79
Views: 786 Posts: 2

2012-09-09 7:59 AM Curtisb

70.3 WC moves to Vegas....

Started by Fastyellow
Views: 1733 Posts: 16

2010-10-09 2:39 PM Lilac J

TiVo Alert - 70.3 WC Next Sunday (6-13)

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 2248 Posts: 19

2010-06-14 2:32 PM pschriver

Age group winner denied medal

Started by johnmck
Views: 1914 Posts: 20

2007-09-03 5:28 PM chirunner134

Age Group Winners to Race in PNW

Started by NightOwl
Views: 587 Posts: 2

2006-10-09 5:16 PM briderdt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.