United States
The Nation's Triathlon
85F / 29C
Total Time = 2h 47m 26s
Overall Rank = 846/
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/
Pre-race routine:

Got there very early to ensure I'd get a parking spot. Did not want to park at the hotel and take the shuttle because I was worried about having to ride my bike with all my gear back to the hotel after the race. So got a good parking spot and intended to just hang in my car but my body said it needed a potty break so ended up in the transition area an hour and a half early.
Event warmup:

Race ended up not being wetsuit. I had decided that I was going to wear the wetsuit either way. The suits started in an additional wave at the very end. So I after getting to transition very early, sat and waited for two hours before my wave got into the water. Very long day even before I got my toes wet.
Swim
  • 36m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

I've been thinking about a new wetsuit. Pretty sure I would get one prior to the IM. Today I put a rather large hole in it so now it is not optional. Thinking about an Orca 3.8 but will have to order one.

Tried to hit the swim a bit harder than I normally do and this is a pretty good swim time for me. Found myself thinking a lot about the IM swim while I was doing this. It isn't that I can't do the IM swim I was just getting so bored and wanted to take a break just to break up the boredom. Love my swim MP3 player in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 05m 9s
What would you do differently?:

I have never been able to get this wetsuit off without issues. Even races that have strippers it causes problems. It probably cost me 3 minutes today in T1. Of course it save me that in the water.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 9s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.94 km/hr
Comments:

Since I opted to wear the wetsuit and started in the last wave, the course was full of slower cyclist when I got there. I spent the entire time saying "on your left" some people did not seem to understand what that meant. Had I not worn the wetsuit and gone with the F50-54 AG, I think it would have been impossible to NOT draft if you were a strong cyclist. The results from my AG show some very fast bike splits so I'm thinking that was probably the case. It was the first female group to start so there were some fast cyclists out there when they hit the roads. All groups also have some slower ones and with that many people if you are riding in the 20+/- range there is no way you can stay to the right. The alternative is going to at times put you into drafting whether you want it or not.

I thought this bike course was extremely dangerous and I will not do this race again.

After saying all that: I am rather happy with my bike time. I have been working hard on my bike and I seen those results today.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

I was a bit surprised how well my T2 time compared to others. I felt it was a bit slow. I ran well with my bike but got a bunch of grass on my foot and had to remove my shoe, clean the foot and try again.
Run
  • 48m 35s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 52s  min/km
Comments:

Did not wear my Garmin so really just ran off perceived effort. I did not want to really hammer the run. The plan had been to work hard in the swim and bike but then dial it back a bit for the run. I think I succeeded pretty well with that. I kept thinking how it took me so long to recover after running the Frederick half marathon at a 7:30 pace and I didn't want to have that kind of recovery again.

Once again, with starting at the end of the swimmers, there were no fast participants on the run course. I did not see a single person that was even close to going my pace. I truly seemed like a rock star out there running. I passed literally hundreds of people on the run. It makes it kind of hard to stay with it mentally when you have no competition. However, I was able to stay mentally focused and in a happy place throughout the run. The last mile got a bit tough but overall this was a pretty comfortable run and very evenly paced.
What would you do differently?:

My run time includes a 30 second potty break. Coming out of T2 and starting the run there was a bank of porta potties. If I wanted to be able to push the run without getting a side stich I didn't have any choice but to stop.
Post race
Warm down:

They ran out of medals so I did not get one. They said they will mail them. I really don't care but to a lot of people this was a big deal. A bigger deal to me was they ran out of water in the food tent and only had Gatorade which I don't drink. Got some food and packed up my gear and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If the water had been just cool enough so that it was wetsuit legal and I could have started with my AG it would have been a completely different day. I wonder how it would have played out? Either way, I am happy with my effort and results today.

Event comments:

Due to the logistics of this race and the bike course, I definitely would not do it again.

Last updated: 2013-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:47 | 1500 meters | 02m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Zoot Zeneith
Course: This is definitely a very well marked course but I still did not swim straight. Not horrible but definitely went further than I needed to.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:09 | 40 kms | 31.94 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: 2 lap course with a lot of turns. three hairpin turns in each lap. For a race with 4000 participants that was just crazy. Seen a few people down even one accident that appeared to have been a cyclist taking out a course monitor.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:35 | 10 kms | 04m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 1/
Performance: Good
Course: Single loop course. Again, starting in the last wave changes all of the elements. It was in the upper 80's by the time I got to the run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-08 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2013-09-10 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4850281

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon

Hi,

Saw your comment on my race report.  Yes...we were pretty close in times.  I had a good race except for the run.  Am still sore!  Like you, I won't be doing this race again if they keep the same bike course.

Nice run pace for you!  I bet you were flying past everyone.

Are you doing the Olympic or Half for the Half Full?  I am doing the Olympic.

Melanie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by klassman
Views: 1781 Posts: 1

2007-09-30 2:13 PM klassman

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by stuartjeff
Views: 2223 Posts: 3

2007-09-30 6:08 PM Artemis

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by Stake
Views: 2360 Posts: 12

2006-09-22 9:06 AM mcbill98

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by mcbill98
Views: 2158 Posts: 3

2006-09-19 12:13 PM rollinsw

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by witteb
Views: 1916 Posts: 2

2006-09-18 4:16 PM mcbill98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 31, 2011
author : hoffsquared
comments : 1
Battling nervousness and limited training for a surprisingly good finish
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : April 13, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 3
Every year thousands of triathletes spend excessive amounts of time and money on training, only to show up to the biggest race of the season with little to no plan.