General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St Paul Classic Bike Tour- a story... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-10 10:45 AM

User image

New user
Chanhassen
Subject: St Paul Classic Bike Tour- a story...
I have found that I deal better with things, when I share them with people, and let the universe take over... and so I'm sharing my story of our St Paul Classic accident. Bruce (my mom's boyfriend) rode 5000 miles last summer (he's retired), so he's an experienced rider.

We were going down the hill on Mounds Blvd, just before the rest stop, I was going too fast for comfort and started to slow down. Bruce flew past me, and his bike started to wobble. I knew he was going to fall. I slowed, and unclipped as fast as possible, running back up the hill. It was a mess, but a guy who lived right there- Jim, was a blessing (he stored our bikes as well). Long story short… Bruce had a small stroke causing the crash. There was a LOT of blood, and some scary moments that I can’t get out of my head. Thankfully mom wasn’t there to see it (she didn't ride due to her own current injury), by the time she got to the hospital, he was pretty well bandaged. He has 4 fractured ribs, 16 stitches in his nose, a separated shoulder, and a LOT of road rash. His helmet has a chip out of the front, and a lot of scratches, and a fracture on the left side. My mom just emailed to say that they are taking him for another MRI on his hip, since he still cannot put pressure on it. The bleeding in his brain was minimal, and has stopped, and there are no side-effects from the stroke itself (just the crash).

It’s been a tough couple of days for all of us! I guess I can say he’s doing ‘ok” now, he will be at Regions until he can get out of bed and walk on his own. It won’t be today! We could use some fellow bikers happy thoughts! It's going to be a long road to recovery!

It also made me think about some things... like I never carry my insurance card (take a photo of it, and make it part of your ICE contact in your phone), but I do carry an expired ID, and wear my MED Alert bracelet whenever I work out. I hope this incident takes me out of the running of ever needing this information!

Also- a shout out to all the volunteers, and just riders, who stopped to help re-direct traffic down the hill. We had atleast 3 nurses and a physician stop to ask if we needed help before the ambulance got there. Thanks for letting me share the story, sometimes you just need to put it out there!

Be safe out there BT'ers!

2013-09-10 10:52 AM
in reply to: Dandy_Girl

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: St Paul Classic Bike Tour- a story...
Oh boy!  I am glad he is "ok" and I hope on the way to good very soon!  
2013-09-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: Dandy_Girl

User image

Regular
Bloomington
So very scary! Hope Bruce heals well!
2013-09-11 7:42 AM
in reply to: BloomingRunner

User image

New user
Chanhassen
Thanks for the well wishes.... yesterday we added Fractured Pelvic Bone to the mix. Ugh... this will lengthen recovery significantly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St Paul Classic Bike Tour- a story... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone riding the Saint Paul Classic?

Started by ericsenf
Views: 734 Posts: 2

2011-09-09 5:03 PM Climbinggonzo

Bike Commuting into DT St. Paul

Started by njk123
Views: 792 Posts: 3

2010-07-28 4:45 PM njk123

Saint Paul Classic

Started by Dancing Fool
Views: 579 Posts: 1

2007-09-05 9:38 AM Dancing Fool

st. paul bike classic

Started by autumn
Views: 943 Posts: 2

2006-08-22 10:03 AM BikerGrrrl

st.paul bike classic

Started by autumn
Views: 817 Posts: 1

2005-09-09 12:26 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
A good sport story gets better with time. Sometimes, it’s because the story has a new teller, a new listener or a new twist; a purposeful tweak that makes a little tale something of legend.

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Several years ago, I got the urge to do a triathlon. When my second pregnancy occurred almost immediately following the first, I mentioned to my sister-in-law that I would never get around to.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.