General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Center
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 32m 23s
Overall Rank = 549/561
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 23/23
Pre-race routine:

Racked my bike the night before and got my transition stuff set up. Woke up around 6, drank 350 cal worth of protein shakes, and waited for my nerves to settle.
Event warmup:

Not much -- wandered around the swim start watching the intermediate waves go off.
Swim
  • 22m 29s
  • 792 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

They told us in the pre-race briefing: "First-timers, if you panic, stand up." Well, I panicked. Couldn't make myself put my face in the water, couldn't freestyle without putting my face in the water, general ick. Fortunately, the pre-race briefing was accurate -- the course was shallow enough that I (and several other people) actually walked the whole thing.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice. And cold water practice -- it wasn't that cold, but colder than the pool where I'd been training by several degrees.
Transition 1
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

Took my time here. Walked my bike out to the mount line instead of jogging with it, because I was still feeling the nerves from the swim.

More Body Glide on my calves.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 28s
  • 13 miles
  • 10.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Drove the course the day before so I'd know when to expect the hills. Did ok on hill climbs (except the worst one, which I strategically chose to walk up). Felt like I got passed by everyone and their brother, but nearly everyone passing me was shouting encouragement. Traffic was polite, mostly. Cops and volunteers were great.

It was f'ing freezing when I set out on the course, enough that I almost bailed around mile 6 because I was in so much discomfort. Had to remind myself a lot that it was _just_ discomfort, not actual pain, so I might as well push through it; then the sun started to come out and things improved drastically.

Train more on open roads rather than a trainer so I'm less freaked out by traffic. Practice fixing a flat sometime during non-race conditions -- saw a lot of folks waiting for the sag wagon.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Drank about a cup of Nuun, mostly to wet my mouth since I didn't sweat much on the bike course. No shoe switch. Snapped on race belt and headed back out.
Run
  • 47m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 15m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Did run 2 min / walk 1 min intervals with good results. Probably could have gone out harder, but since it was my first real tri I was more interested in coming in smiling than pushing as hard as possible. Bike legs not too bad -- everything shook out in the first half mile or so. Really love the first part of the run. The lagoon is pretty.

Work a little harder. Ended up not even breaking a sweat in the run, which is silly.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked 0.7 mi back to the hotel with my cheering squad and my bike. Some pain in my left hip flexor -- I think this is because of funny bike pedaling biomechanics which I'll have to address.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Laziness, simple as. Fell off the training wagon in mid June and never _really_ got back on, although I was out running from time to time and occasionally riding the trainer. Next year, more discipline.

Event comments:

Lots of great volunteers. Props to the bike marshals especially for sitting out on the course in the early-morning rain before the event actually got going.

Last updated: 2013-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:29 | 792 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/561
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:28 | 13 miles | 10.34 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Loop
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:02 | 03.1 miles | 15m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-10 12:32 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-09-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4851900

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course
OWS gets much easier with practice. You can train your body to deal with that stuff and actually enjoy yourself. Way to keep at it, even when body and brain were telling you to stop.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Ridgelake
Views: 1671 Posts: 5

2012-09-11 11:08 AM dexter

Started by robcolling
Views: 1493 Posts: 6

2012-09-11 2:10 PM robcolling

Started by kenj
Views: 1496 Posts: 5

2012-09-10 9:57 PM dexter

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 1700 Posts: 4

2012-09-11 10:57 AM dexter

Started by dexter
Views: 1608 Posts: 4

2012-09-10 8:23 AM Ridgelake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After riding my bike sometimes I will develop a very sharp intense pain in the first joint of my pointer finger. It seems to happen randomly and it lasts for anywhere from several minutes to an hour.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?