General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-10 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Off season Training
My last race of the season was on Saturday, so now I'm thinking about what I should do in the off season. Here are my goals and plans. Let me know what you think and what has been successful for you.

Goals:
  • Learn flip turns

• Get better at bi-lateral breathing (for the purpose of evening out strokes to swim in straight lines)

• Increase ability to transition from A race in May to my other A Race in August. Lost alot of fitness between the two this year

• Run faster

Offseason Plans:
  • Spend time in pool learning flip turns

• Swim 2-3 times a week, and include minimum of 15 minutes twice a week swimming bi-laterally

• Increase strength doing Crossfit twice a week (half of the reason I'm doing this is it sounds fun, but hoping additional strength helps in keeping fitness from May to August)

• Alternate between slow long and interval workouts. Week 1: 2 slow, 1 interval, Week 2: 1 slow, 1 interval, repeat

• Slow long runs on trails whenever possible

2013-09-10 1:20 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Off season Training

Bi-lateral breathing: I did that at the start of this season.  Helped straighten out my line and eliminated soreness in my left shoulder from an unbalanced stroke.

Flip turns: Same here, although I'll "miss" that extra breath or two on the open turns.

Trail running: Definitely!  There are lots of great trails in my area that I want to run without feeling like I'm not following my HM training plan.

Fitness: I'm going to add some core work, something that is a big weakness of mine.

2013-09-10 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
What's this "off season" of which you speak?
2013-09-10 1:54 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Sous

What's this "off season" of which you speak?

It starts in September which coincides with the time I get to dedicate each Saturday morning to coaching soccer and every Sunday afternoon to Cub Scouts and runs through the time at which it is too cold that most people want to swim outdoors.
2013-09-10 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Spend a ridiculous amount of time on the trainer with Sufferfest videos or Jorge's winter cycling plan.

For me, off season is going to start around mid-October with "allow nagging injuries to finally heal".  :-)

2013-09-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Spend a ridiculous amount of time on the trainer with Sufferfest videos or Jorge's winter cycling plan.

For me, off season is going to start around mid-October with "allow nagging injuries to finally heal".  :-)

I think I will try Sufferfest in a couple of months. I did Jorge's plan last year and it worked OK, but I think I just need something different to get out of my current plateau.

2013-09-11 9:01 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Offseason is a serious consdieration here in Ontario. I am not sure I will get any cycle trinaing done between Dec and April unless I can get an indoor traininer setup.

Winter running is fine and I may even target a winter event to make sure my milage does not dip too sharply:

http://niagararunningseries.com/races/grimsby/

With swimming I need to hit:

Volume - tons more long slow swims to build some endurance for moving from sprint to Oly distance.
Drills - tons more drills to improve form and short term power

I have a chance of a short vacation to Bracebridge in October so I might scout the Triathlon route there and will have some fun on the hills.

2013-09-11 11:40 AM

User image

Montreal
Lots of indoor cycling on the trainer, swimming and yoga. I have asthma while won't allow me to run in cold weather, which totally blows cause running is my weakness. Damn you, Canada!!!
2013-09-18 10:20 AM
in reply to: Shazzy

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Your goals are almost the same as mine!

1. FLIP TURNS. I say this every year but mean it this time I got a friend to help me out already and I am just awful at them! I finally am able to do the flip and get my feet to touch the wall but still need to master the whole timing/distance/push off thing. Right now its just a weird looking semi-flip with my legs all over the place and a lot of water up my nose

2. CrossFit. Started this week! There is a prep course offered which is Mon-Thurs for 1 week to get you ready to start for real. I am on day 3 and I think I'm more sore than after I finished my Ironman. Excited to focus on strength training though which always seems to fall by the wayside during tri season.

3. Trail running. I did my 1 and only trail race back in 2011 and it kicked my butt so I'm ready to try again!
2013-09-18 10:26 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Become a better swimmer.
I recently joined a masters group that practices 3x a week at a pool I can practically see from the roof of my house.

Yoga
improve flexibility and strength

Running
It appears my sfx has healed, so slowly ramp back up to a schedule of consistent miles through the winter.
2013-09-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: sbux87

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by sbux87

2. CrossFit. Started this week! There is a prep course offered which is Mon-Thurs for 1 week to get you ready to start for real. I am on day 3 and I think I'm more sore than after I finished my Ironman. Excited to focus on strength training though which always seems to fall by the wayside during tri season.

I did the fast track sessions on Sunday and had my first workout with them this morning. I didn't push it hard on the strength portion of the hour, but thought I was putting everything into it in the workout for time. Not sure what I did wrong, but not really sore or tired from it.

2013-09-18 11:01 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My triathlon "off season" goes from late October until the middle of May. 

For the last few years I've primarily worked on my running (my weakest event) by following a HM training plan culminating in running a HM in February or March.

I still ride and swim, but it's mostly longer lower-intensity aerobic workouts. 

I go to the gym more in the off-season, maybe twice a week on average.

I also tend to work on weight-loss more during the winter.  During the tri season I tend to eat more to fuel my workouts and usually maintain, rather than lose weight.

It definitely is an advantage living here in Florida where I can train outside year 'round.  In fact, this time of year (the summer/fall rainy season) is probably the worst as far as disrupting my workout schedule.

Mark

2013-09-18 11:59 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Veteran
Berkley
I signed up for a marathon in April, which will force me to keep my running up over the winter. Just checked out the Sufferfest videos and they look pretty interesting. My goals are to focus on running and keep up the workout for the bike and swim.
2013-09-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Regular
Concentrating on swimming in the offseason, but keeping focused on the bike trainer as well. I really let down this season after coming off injury layoff for 5 months last year. I really took it easy all season and looking back, I am really frustrated by it. I'm ready to turn it back up.

Help me understand......what's the drive to learn flip turns? I dont use them in open water and am loathe to use my important training time learning something that's not useful. Hope that doesnt open a can of worms, but if it does, pretend I didnt ask the question!

2013-09-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Goals- Bilateral breathing for sure
Bike trainer + Trainer road
Half marathon in early april so concentrate on run training
Get my swim time down
2013-09-19 7:38 AM

My off season will officially start after volunteering at the Presidents Cup the first week of October. I'm running the Air Force Half Marathon Saturday and then taking a full 2 week break from any training. I have a number off goals for the off season since I want to move up to Oly's next season. Swimming is the biggest area I want to improve all the way around by getting in the pool 3-4 days per week and following well rounded swim workouts. I'm gonna need to learn to love my bike trainer once the weather gets too cold for outdoor riding. I also want to add in some strength training 2 days a week with a focus on core work. Right now running is my biggest strength with all the training I've done for the Half marathon.

2013-09-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by hessma

Help me understand......what's the drive to learn flip turns? I dont use them in open water and am loathe to use my important training time learning something that's not useful. Hope that doesnt open a can of worms, but if it does, pretend I didnt ask the question!

There are several pro's such as getting used to not having the extra long breath, swimming can be smoother without the interruption, etc. The only downside for me is that when I'm working on it I do a few hundred less yards that work out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Flexibility training plans for off-season training

Started by shadt31
Views: 987 Posts: 5

2005-11-18 12:08 PM shadt31

Off season training?? - I need certainly need it Pages: 1 2

Started by cobannero
Views: 2438 Posts: 34

2005-08-11 11:31 AM JohnnyKay

Off season training

Started by mtntrainer
Views: 705 Posts: 2

2004-12-09 6:52 PM umbach

A GREAT off-season training guide!

Started by drrebecca
Views: 1222 Posts: 4

2004-11-26 10:13 PM iceit99

need help for off-season training

Started by drrebecca
Views: 1130 Posts: 16

2004-09-29 4:58 PM sherrick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 7, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Whatever your motivations for this winter are, balancing a structured plan with a good dose of spontaneity will get you in the best form ever, both physically and mentally.

date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.
date : November 17, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
At BeginnerTriathlete.com there are so many plans that there is no need to ever do the same plans twice in a row or even two or three seasons in a row!

date : February 2, 2009
author : tonyladd
A discussion on how to use the training and race logs to determine how best to improve your performance for next season.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Ron
Maintain a two-day-a-week swimming and running routine. If this happens, my 2005 times should be greatly improved in these areas.