General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last Try at Rend Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-11 9:45 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Last Try at Rend Lake

Any BT'rs racing this one? I have always thought I would like to but I am typically wore out by October. This year I was lazy at the beginning of the tri season so I feel like I still have one more race left in me. It is such a pretty area, I'd almost just like to go to enjoy the course without worrying about how I finish.

2013-09-13 7:07 PM
in reply to: trigal38

New user

Roselle, IL
Subject: RE: Last Try at Rend Lake
I did it a couple of years ago. Very nice area of the state and you can stay right by the course at a pretty reasonable rate. If memory serves me correctly they had to make some modifications to the swim course because of the waves. The bike was 63 miles, fairly flat, and I think the roads were OK. The run takes you through a path area of the state park and gets somewhat confusing and with an uphill finish. I would do it again but a previous engagement prevents the family from traveling that weekend. It's probably the last time to race for a while so might as well get out there while you can.
2013-09-14 6:24 AM
in reply to: seanlove22

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I did it last year and it was an excellent race. There was no up hill finish last year, you run downhill and then it flattens out right before the finish. The bike is for the most part fairly flat with only a few "hills" imoo. That said the run is shaded in certain areas and all on paved trail through the park. The bike is also kinda open in areas and you can get a decent amount of wind. I enjoyed the race and placed first in my age group and took 4th or 5th overall there last year if memory serves me right. There were a couple pro's that came and went 1.2, and then I also had another guy spend 15 miles drafting off me before he went ahead of me and he was third overall I think. I called him out on it and he didn't seem to care. The swim was a tad long and we had to wait for the ambulance/rescue team to get there before the race could start. Two loop swim as well. They used to have a HIM there but last year it was just an Olympic and the other distance...I did the longer of the two. Think it was a mile swim followed by a 42 mile bike and 10k run.

That was my only experience with 3D racing and from what others have told me they put on a heck of a race. If I didn't have to work that day I would be driving down there to race it. Only thing I regret is not bringing a cooler with beer in it at the end. Saw others out that had brought cold refreshments and I was jealous!
2013-09-16 11:32 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Veteran
Illinois
This race has been on my radar as well - but it's a week before the Chicago marathon, so it isn't going to happen for me, sadly.

Next year though
2013-09-21 9:07 AM

New user
Yorkville, IL
I'll be going this year,
I have done this race once about 3 years ago and really enjoyed it.
I have not raced for just over a year due to moving and such but really looking forward to getting out there again.
Not too concerned with my time, just looking forward to participating and this is a really nice place to race.
Going to take the family and camp for the weekend, so it is nice it is on a Saturday this time around.
3D does a good job with their events, and this is a nice venue so I would recommend it to anyone.
2013-09-21 9:45 AM
in reply to: Red2sbr

User image

Bronze member

Brrr I just rode early this morning and the temps here are cooler again. I kept thinking do I really want to do this all wet AND cold.

Still not registered.....

2013-09-21 10:06 AM

New user
Yorkville, IL
Ahh Fall
Dont let the cooler temps decide for you.
I think the race kicks off at 9 this year so it will have the chance to warm up a little.
It was cool last time I did this race, but the water was decent ( and in a wetsuit it was fine)
I wore long sleeves for the bike, run and was not cold at all.
It was a pain trying to wrestle on a long sleeve shirt when wet though!
Still trying to decide if it will be worth it to wear the sleeves again, but I will see how the weather is that day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last Try at Rend Lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone doing the Last Try Tri?

Started by Bevie
Views: 556 Posts: 1

2012-09-26 7:42 AM Bevie

Last Chance Try Rend Lake, IL

Started by Sprint_DA
Views: 1998 Posts: 4

2011-09-21 7:52 AM Sprint_DA

Last Chance Rend Lake Tri Oct 4th

Started by jjjmd30
Views: 3496 Posts: 8

2010-06-08 8:55 PM ChicagoMan65

Anyone Doing Mattoon YMCA Last Chance Tri?

Started by 4mebobpandtay
Views: 1764 Posts: 9

2009-11-01 10:03 AM 4mebobpandtay

HFP Racing (Spirit of Racine)...trying to contact them

Started by nscrbug
Views: 2631 Posts: 8

2009-07-14 3:06 PM tri.chic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : October 2, 2005
author : tgurl
comments : 1
”Everyone can swim; show me what you can do.” She watched, I emerged and she said, “Oh! You really can't swim!”

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.