General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after a busy work day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-11 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Training after a busy work day

Hi everyone,

I need some advice from those of you out there who have intense jobs that leave you exhausted at the end of the day.  I am an LPN (nurse) on a surgical floor.  When we work, we do 12 hour shifts that start at 5 am and to get to work I get up at 3:45 am.  We get done at 5:30 if we are lucky.  On average I walk a 5K on the floor taking care of my patients.  When I get home, I am pretty much exhausted.  It is not unusual for me to get home, eat dinner and be asleep on the couch by 8 or 9 pm.  I however have a lot of guilt/ desire to train.  Do other people have jobs like these?  How do you manage training?  I am lucky to get a 30 minute lunch break so lunch training is out.  Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

2013-09-11 7:47 PM
in reply to: crea0029

User image

Subject: RE: Training after a busy work day
How many days a week do you work? I have a similar schedule in the ER but only have to work 3-4 days per week. I'll sometimes have to miss several days or have only a short workout during work days, but do a lot of double workouts on my days off. Probably not ideal, but it works for me.
2013-09-11 7:49 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

I work 3 shifts one week and 2 the other... The problem is I am also in school so I fight a classroom and clinical schedule too.  Maybe I just need to double it up on the days off.

2013-09-11 7:53 PM

User image

I am an ER nurse... have been for 18 years and we hold 12.5 hour shifts. My workouts are my shorter ones... like 60 min run... 90 min spin... 45 min swim etc. It is just something you have to do and it will get easier the more you do it. The walking while working doesnt count as a workout so you have to get out and do some activity... then eat and fall asleep
2013-09-11 7:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by crea0029

I work 3 shifts one week and 2 the other... The problem is I am also in school so I fight a classroom and clinical schedule too.  Maybe I just need to double it up on the days off.

Lemme help you out here since I have worked that schedule.....you don't work 3 shifts one week and 2 shifts the other.....you work 3 days one week and 2 days the other.  It's a pretty cushy deal for training.  Don't train the days you work......pretty simple. 

You've got it easy......don't do it....I know you want to say it, but don't..... you've got it easy. Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-09-11 7:56 PM
2013-09-11 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I am a nurse also and work 12 hour shifts. The key for me is to do the workout directly after work. Bring your stuff, change your clothes at work and then do.the workout. Going home first guarantees excuses and missed workouts.

2013-09-11 8:59 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by Left Brain

Lemme help you out here since I have worked that schedule.....you don't work 3 shifts one week and 2 shifts the other.....you work 3 days one week and 2 days the other.  It's a pretty cushy deal for training.  Don't train the days you work......pretty simple. 

You've got it easy......don't do it....I know you want to say it, but don't..... you've got it easy. Laughing

you go to school as well LB?  I watched my partner work a full time job and go to school.  Not so easy

2013-09-11 9:05 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Pro
Originally posted by bzgl40
Originally posted by Left Brain

you go to school as well LB?  I watched my partner work a full time job and go to school.  Not so easy

Yeah bro.....somehow I found time to have a job, go to school, and train....... looking out for only me was really easy......it still would be.  I live in a no whine zone.

2013-09-11 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4853438

User image

Extreme Veteran
My husband worked 12 hour shifts, 6pm to 6am with a 45 minute commute for 5 years. he often was forced overtime so hed work 5-6 days a week. It was awful for his training, awful for our marriage.

He would basically do maybe a 20 minute run or a 1 hour ride in the afternoon, but try do do more on his rare days off.

Not surprisingly, he didn't race much during this time. It was enough of a challenge just maintaining basic fitness.

While you're in school, perhaps this is the mindset to adopt: just do what you can, even if it's just 20 minutes a day. Stay as fit as you can, and look forward to racing when you've graduated.
2013-09-11 9:13 PM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Shop Cat My husband worked 12 hour shifts, 6pm to 6am with a 45 minute commute for 5 years. he often was forced overtime so hed work 5-6 days a week. It was awful for his training, awful for our marriage. He would basically do maybe a 20 minute run or a 1 hour ride in the afternoon, but try do do more on his rare days off. Not surprisingly, he didn't race much during this time. It was enough of a challenge just maintaining basic fitness. While you're in school, perhaps this is the mindset to adopt: just do what you can, even if it's just 20 minutes a day. Stay as fit as you can, and look forward to racing when you've graduated.

Did he work 2 days one week and 3 days the next?

2013-09-11 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4853548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Left brain - no, he worked 4-6 days per week consistently. It blew.

2013-09-11 9:43 PM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Shop Cat Left brain - no, he worked 4-6 days per week consistently. It blew.

Yeah, it did..... I hear you. 

Hard to train through that for sure.....but that's not the OP's deal.

2013-09-11 10:14 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Ok, so you have work/school/life and training to manage. I'm not going to debate whether your schedule is tough or not, you've asked for suggestions/help. A great idea already offered is to work out before you get home. My personal experience with long days is that "once I'm home, I'm done." Keep a workout bag packed. If you don't have access to a gym at the hospital it can be as simple as stopping at a local park on the way home and going for a 20-30 minute run. You also need to get efficient in your daily routine. Get rid of time wasters. We all have them. Take a look at your morning routine. Maybe you need to get up that early, or perhaps there are things you can do to give yourself a bit more sleep. Use your days off not only to train but to simplify/stack things like meal planning/prep etc. Keep homework/reading material handy. If you have an unexpected 15 minute break during the day, use it efficiently for school work. If you watch TV, unplug it. Good luck.
2013-09-12 5:06 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I completely understand.... not uncommon that I put in 12-14 hr. days, but not matter how tired, try to get something in... a short 2-3 mile run will make a world of difference (and trust me, you will feel better from it as well). Exhaustion is mostly mentally drained, but physically, you can do it. Collapsing on the sofa at 8pm isn't going to do you much good and will more then likely leave you even more exhausted the next day.

The good thing is that you know your schedule in advance, so plan, plan, plan. 3 shift days, add one short run after each shift, take one full rest day (and concentrate on school work that day), then the other days do one long bike and one brick the remaining day. Then add school work to your schedule and add time for the family. Basically, every single moment should be in your schedule... that will help quite a bit for most people. It's not going to be perfect, but it will get you into racing shape. Once you're done with school, pick up your training volume.

... and I disagree with this being a "cushy" schedule... hectic days combined with school can easily fill your day.
2013-09-12 6:38 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

what others have said about taking your workout gear to work and heading out for a run from there - because i'm the same, once I get home, i'm done for the night

prep food during the week (best), or the night before (better) - if you are doing that in the am, then you lose valuable time;
when you get your schedule, sit down and figure out what workouts you are going to do on what days - so you are planning in advance. you can even use things like mapmyrun to pre-plan routes for distance (if you are looking to hit a certain goal)
2013-09-12 10:16 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Pam, seems to me that you need to find how much time you can devote to training and be happy with this. Sounds like your schedule, like a lot of ours, is a major rate-limiter a to how much you can train. Wishing for more time is not productive. This is life.

2013-09-12 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
I have worked jobs like that, and it becomes a matter of priorities and time management.

First, set realistic targets. Pick sprint or Oly races, maybe this is not the time in your life for an IM. You can do most of the training for short course in an hour per day. Save the long workouts for your shift days off. If you have a particularly long day on your feet, swim or cycle (swimming always refreshes my legs). Also understand that you might miss a day or two. Don't stress over that, just don't keep missing days.

Two, quality over quantity. When I started running five or six years ago, I was lucky enough to have had a former pro Ironwoman volunteer to run the clinic that I took. Her mantra was always quality over quantity. So make every minute of your workout count, and don't log junk miles. I keep a copy of 1-Hour Workouts, by Scott Molina, at hand. It has a lot of good options, with warm-up, workout, cool-down, all in one hour. It's laminated, so it can live in your stinky, sweaty gym bag.

Three, as others have said, don't hit the couch after work. Newton's First Law: A body in motion stays in motion, a body at rest stays at rest, unless acted upon by an external force. Pack your stuff in the morning, and work out on your way in or out of the hospital.

Good luck!
2014-01-15 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
I heard that is easy for nurses to find jobs. I would imagine that as a surgical nurse you are respected and appreciated by your employer. Maybe you should negotiate better working conditions.

You deserve to have enough time to eat ( take an hour lunch) and finish your work on time. You are a human not a machine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after a busy work day Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Busy busy 2013!!

Started by SpeedKnight
Views: 704 Posts: 2

2012-12-24 12:08 PM jbwills

Get busy living or get busy dying

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1527 Posts: 13

2010-08-05 10:13 PM tnelson23

Ironman Training Plan for Busy Family Man

Started by dave.wenham
Views: 3610 Posts: 11

2010-03-25 11:28 AM Kido

Training around a 10-day work week

Started by Nan
Views: 1057 Posts: 8

2007-08-08 12:40 PM KathyG

Busy moms/dads- finding time to train

Started by dylanslovey
Views: 1487 Posts: 22

2007-05-03 12:59 PM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Blame it on Dave Scott perhaps, a career-long advocate of strength training---that the benefits of working out with weights, mostly indoors, entered discussions on performance and training.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : July 5, 2005
author : chrisandniki
You’ll find you can work these general routines around your work and family commitments, while keeping yourself fit enough for Sprint or Olympic triathlon distances.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout