General Discussion Triathlon Talk » recommended experience and pace before beginning IM Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-11 11:37 AM
in reply to: CurvyJew

Subject: RE: recommended experience and pace before beginning IM Training
Rather than quoting the entire thread in my reply, I want to agree with everyone who has posted already. There is some very good advice from experienced people, and I hope you take it to heart.

You shouldn't do Ironman next year. You're not ready to do Ironman and you very likely won't be ready in 10 months to have a good chance of finishing. You haven't attempted an Olympic triathlon, let alone a half Ironman. I think you should train for a half Ironman next year, and if you finish in 8 hours, then I think you'll be on track to finish an Ironman.

Having time to train and actually going out daily to train and put in the weekly 10-15 hours up to 20+ hours takes discipline and mental toughness, and you haven't challenged yourself yet and shown you can train 10-15 hours a week. The mental aspect of Ironman is something that gets overlooked. It is mentally draining to get out and train six days a week, as well as being mentally strong during the race for when it starts to get very painful (and it will).

I'm not saying you shouldn't race because you're slow, and the cut-offs are a very real possibility. Knowing that you're close to the cut-offs means that you have much less room for error than someone else, and you have to be better with your race execution than someone else. Taking the time to train and ramp up slowly is very important so you don't get a setback you can't afford to have.

I'm not trying to sound rude or dismissive, but I am trying to be blunt and honest. What have you done since your races and since you first posted a month ago? Have you kept your fitness and improved? Since you've had your dream of racing Louisville, have you been training, anticipation signing up? If not, then I really don't think you're ready.

I was an exception to the rule that you should have some triathlon experience before signing up for Ironman. I had never done a triathlon, let alone a running race of any distance before signing up for Ironman. I was a collegiate cyclist for a few years before I signed up, I swam a year in high school and a little at a youth, and I was 23 when I signed up too. I was experienced putting in the training hours for cycling, and I was mentally tough, so I knew I could finish. IMWI 2005 was very hot and I came down with a cold that week, but even though I walked the last 18 miles of the marathon, I still managed to finish in 14:17. It can be done, but it is very rare.

Now that you've had input from many people on this forum, what are your thoughts? If you had to justify to a jury of your peers, why should you be 'allowed' to race Ironman? Hopefully this gives you some food for thought in deciding when is the right time to race.

2013-10-11 11:46 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by tarmac52

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by tarmac52
Originally posted by lisac957

What are your current paces for swim/bike/run? 

I am also slower, finishing my three IM races between 15 and a little over 16 hours. Slow is okay, assuming you are not in danger of missing cut-offs, as long as endurance is there. 

For reference in the IM distance I am about a 1:20 (1:55/100yd) swimmer, 7:30-7:45 (14.5-15mph) biker, and 6:00-6:15 (13-14 minute miles average) runner. 

lisac957, what training plans did you follow for the IM?

For my first I followed a plan from Matt Fitzgerald's book "Essential Week By Week Training Guide" - it offers 10 levels of plans for every distance of race. I think I did the IM level 3 or 4. The 2nd one I hired a coach and he wrote a custom plan for me - and I followed that one again for my 3rd.

great thanks!! I 'might' be interested in a coach, but geez, totally overwhelming on how to find one, ugggh! I'll check that book out though. thanks!

You don't necessarily need a coach, but it is a big help for a first-timer. If it is cost-prohibitive (or you just don't want to spend $100-300 every month), a good training plan and a local tri club with experienced Iron(wo)men can take the place of a coach too.

I don't know if you've riden in SW Wisconsin or on the loop yet, but I highly recommend it at least one (hopefully often) since you so close. Especially with Ironman Wisconsin, it will make a world of difference. Good luck.

Edited by pnelson 2013-10-11 11:47 AM
2013-10-11 10:54 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
There is a lot of advice here, much of it being good. Do I think you could do it, absolutely! Will it hurt? Probably. I am slow. I had done 10 or so sprints with one oly but then took 2 full years off of anything physical aside from a run every few months and some occasional mtn bike rides. After my 2 year hiatus I did a couple sprints and signed up for IMTX 2012. I used the 20wk plan from BT and I will admit that I realistically did 30ish % of the prescribed training. I had a long race. 1:59 swim, 7:56 bike, 6:17 run, throw in transitions and my finish time was 16:36:12. It was a long day and it hurt but it was a ton of fun! I am now considering doing IMTX 2014 and have little base to build on but think that I will actually have time to train properly this year. I will still be slow but know I am capable of <15. I wish you luck with whatever you choose. Just be sure and have fun along the way!
2013-10-19 10:55 PM
in reply to: #4853688

User image

Veteran
+1 'respect the distance'. It is a very long day. It is very hard.

You don't have to train 15-20 hours a week, but even 10-12 week after week, constantly tired, hungry, hurrying to 'get in a workout' is tough. If you're newto it, the training is very hard.

Finally, running your first marathon well is a 'mountain top experience'. It is not required, but why miss one of the greatest thrills in life. Train properly and finish your first 26.2, then think about starting to run one after an hour and a half swim and seven hours on the bike.

Respect the distance. Prepare sufficiently. Set yourself up to succeed, not to suffer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » recommended experience and pace before beginning IM Training Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Running an ultra at beginning of IM build?

Started by LittleCat
Views: 1199 Posts: 8

2009-09-22 12:39 PM Steve in IL

IM marathon training pace

Started by moabrunner
Views: 1002 Posts: 2

2008-10-13 10:30 PM splerph

Recommended first IM

Started by millarg
Views: 1816 Posts: 16

2006-04-10 6:50 PM T in Liberty Lake

IM Wisconsin Training Begins Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by O2BFast
Views: 9556 Posts: 179

2006-08-28 8:38 PM ladavidson

? for all you experienced 1/2 IM regarding training distance

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 2011 Posts: 10

2005-04-19 12:09 AM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.
date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.