General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Square Lake Triathlon - Short Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stillwater, Minnesota
United States
Front Runner
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 37s
Overall Rank = 46/96
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

*Overall is female only*

Didn't diverge from the usual system. Pack the night before, bagel w/pb for breakfast, coffee, pack lots of drinks, have a G2 on the drive and while setting up. After setting up transition, walked down to the beach to get packets, etc. Once I had everything back to transition to get my spot laid out and swim things together.

Event warmup:

I did swim for a few minutes to get acclimated. I am glad I did because the water was brisk enough to raise my heart rate for a while. I had cut about 6 inches off the legs of my old wet suit and am glad I did. It didn't seem to affect my swimming, it "felt" the same as before.
Swim
  • 18m 51s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

*Updated with official swim time*

It started out ok. I hung to the back and got swimming within a few seconds. I came up the inside and was mostly without contact or trouble. Swam pretty straight. Once I turned the sun glare became a real problem for me. The course was basically an inverted V from shore and when I made the turn buoy I started swimming back to the last buoy instead of to the next one. D'oh! The time loss, plus the disappointment, was detrimental to my overall swim. After that, with the continuing glare, I struggled with focus.
What would you do differently?:

I used to have a LOT of trouble with swims and this would have been a "good" swim overall. But I have been more successful lately, especially in the half mile range. So, it just wasn't my day! I also have let swimming take a major back seat. MAJOR.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

*updated with official T2 time - whoa!*

Transition is a run across the park and then up stairs. I walked up the stairs and even that left me very winded. It was a mental effort to jog from the top to my t-area. I think I got my stuff on fairly quickly and made it out of transition. It was a very small area, so pretty quick. Although quite a bit of traffic.

Make less excuses and execute the transition I know I can do well.
Bike
  • 57m 32s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out TOUGH! My friend, with whom I have friendly competition, got to transition right when I was leaving. She started 2 minutes behind me, so I knew this could happen but I hoped it wouldn't. I started out feeling in a rush.

After a while I settled into the ride. The middle section was moderately hilly, but not as bad as the start. The roads were rough but really didn't bother me too much. Although i didn't feel like I could drink on the pot hole section. I did the best I could to maximize downhills but totally wimped out on the big turn onto 95. Chicken! I did manage to drink the majority of my sport drink, which I felt was crucial for a successful run. Overall this bike was very average for me.

More hill experience would have helped a lot. I wouldn't have minded having my Camelbak to take the pressure of when I could drink vs. keeping my eyes on the road!
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

This is the official time, although it seems so unlikely to me! I put on tight socks and tied my shoes! I did grab my other stuff quickly and head out, so maybe... As I was leaving for my run I heard my friend's name being yelled by her family, so I knew her bike was over. SHOOT, the lead is smaller (I did beat her bike time by about 45 seconds, not enough).

I can't shake a stick at this time! I just can't believe it. Others had a matter of 3 seconds. I can't guess what might have caused a timing mistake like this, but it seems weird.
Run
  • 51m 10s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually I think this went really well. I would have guessed I did better than 51 minutes, which is why I wonder about the T2 time, but whatever.

It was hard to start out and I walked more of the hills than I felt I should have. Everyone (in my view) walked the bigger hills in the dirt area, but I walked the smallest of the them too. I had a gel about halfway through and took a glass of water at each rest stop to dump on my head. I felt pretty good overall, other than fatigue on the hills.

I looked behind me around mile 2.5ish and saw my friend. I was surprised she was not past by now. I kept waiting and waiting. Finally around 3.5ish she said from behind "I am not trying to pace you, I cannot pass you." Well, that put a spring in my step! We started a long downhill and I booked it for all I was worth. She caught up to me and we ran for a while together, then I pulled away! Then the road turned flat again and she passed me for good. The last stretch was an out/back, sort of, and I was just DONE. My friend ended up finishing :30 ahead of me at the end, so that's how much I slowed down in the last mile. Shoot!

Maybe I was a little mentally weak. I wanted to do well on the run and was enjoying myself, but I couldn't talk myself past the fatigue. I probably was low on nutrition, for me, because a race like that shouldn't have tired me out that much.
Post race
Warm down:

After regaining myself, and having a bottle of water, I jumped in the lake for a bath. That felt great! It really is a nice clean lake.

I walked around and chatted with a friend who was there on a relay team. They were first in their division and I discovered I was also first Athena, so I stayed with them until awards were called. I think I won't bother with awards for Front Runner events any more. I don't really cherish the medals and there's no real prize for winners. It takes too long.

I would recommend that anyone who wants to wait for awards should get their car and drive it back to the transition area, or at least pack their car. The awards were quite close to the parking area, so it would be easy to get packed up and then head back.

Event comments:

It was fun. The results are still incorrect after a week. It started late but there were 3!!! water stops on the run, which is amazing. The finish line food is very limited - Chex Mix and Gardettos, water. They often have Gear West making hot dogs but I guessed I missed it. And frankly I'm not into supporting the hot dog industry. It's always a mixed bag with Front Runner.

Last updated: 2012-11-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:51 | 880 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/96
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:32 | 16.5 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:10 | 05 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Good road for a while, windy and pretty trees with some hills. A long stretch of dirt (not gravel but actually dirt), then back on the highway.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-12 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Square Lake Triathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Square Lake Triathlon - Short Course

Started by trying2swim
Views: 1101 Posts: 1

2013-09-08 10:18 AM trying2swim

Started by dbrook1
Views: 1102 Posts: 1

2013-09-07 4:15 PM dbrook1

Started by GoHard
Views: 1278 Posts: 3

2012-09-16 5:00 PM Hazelmn

Started by LittleYellowBird
Views: 899 Posts: 1

2011-09-13 10:18 PM LittleYellowBird

Square Lake Triathlon - short course

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1153 Posts: 2

2005-09-15 8:36 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.