General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I downgrading if I give up clipless pedals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-13 3:39 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Am I downgrading if I give up clipless pedals?
Its not unusual to start feeling your feet after 100mi, but after 24mi its too early.
Better (stiffer & more breathable) shoes, footbed inserts, corecctly placed cleats should all alleviate foot burn.

As for using platform pedals:
On short courses it won't affect your time.
On long courses it will affect your time but if your foot hurts, that will affect it more.

The only time I ever won my AG was a super-sprint (400m / 10km / 2.5km) where I purposely put on platform pedals on my bike to save a shoe change. I gave up maybe 15-30seconds on the bike leg but gained time in T1 and T2.

2013-09-13 3:58 PM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Andy, this might or might not apply to you, but it is something I have noticed myself.  When I get hot spots on my feet, it is almost always towards the end of a relatively long ride (relative to current conditioning).  While time on the pedals must be a contributing factor, I also find that I get lazy with my pedaling technique as I get fatigued.  Most importantly, I stop utilizing a full pedaling stroke opting to power mostly from pushing down on the pedal.  When my feet start to hurt, I remember to pull up on the pedals as well and it helps reduce the burning and I believe if I were not to have slacked off on pedaling to begin with, I may not have experienced foot pain in the first place.

2013-09-13 5:36 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Bronze member

Glad you are on the right track. I was just chiming in to tell you to try EVERYTHING first. I had hotspots a few years ago. The podiatrist placed some super thick foam on the bottom of my shoe insoles. It was cut in a u and thicker than thick but compressed as I wore them. That helped a lot. Then I got a fitting at the bike shop, that helped more.

I really think you would hate platforms or cages. You lose so much through the pedal stroke. I sold my road bike so I had an extra pair of speedplays. I had the bike shop put them on my hybrid because I hated the platforms so much.

2013-09-14 11:04 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
UPDATE 2

I rode with my new shoes in the sprint today. I didn't notice any hot spots, but between the seasickness and the solid wall headwind on the second half of the bike, I didn't have a chance to otice anything else. Seriously, though, I think I have a sense that these will be better already. Should I see problems again, I will look into wider pedals/cleats, and maybe that foam from the podiatrist. I'm ready for this to go away as a limiter.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I downgrading if I give up clipless pedals? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

clipless pedals and pearl izumi - clueless

Started by madeye
Views: 1030 Posts: 4

2004-09-21 2:50 PM ride_like_u_stole_it

Clipless Pedals – Look or SPD??

Started by Stacers
Views: 1436 Posts: 21

2004-09-09 5:06 PM Bigpikle

clipless pedals and shoes question

Started by Live2Tri
Views: 782 Posts: 4

2004-08-13 12:45 PM the bear

clipless pedals & knee pain

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 4441 Posts: 14

2004-05-08 3:21 AM Bigpikle

why clipless pedals

Started by trilover
Views: 2297 Posts: 23

2003-12-29 6:11 AM clightle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.

date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency