General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot pain during long rides.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-13 5:43 AM

User image

Subject: foot pain during long rides....
Anyone else experience this? Only after about 25 miles I get a very bad mid foot to toe box pain/cramp type pain where I have to stop walk, flex and stretch my feet. Both feet and annoying as I am training for a century next Saturday. Have had these Specilized SPD shoes for 1.5 yrs. They seem roomy enough to wiggle foot/toes. I don't think they're too tight as I was fitted for them from reputable Bike pro fitter. I have tried thick and thin socks and gel inserts...seems a little lessened w/thinner socks.....Any help would be appreciated!!

2013-09-13 5:54 AM
in reply to: joyct32

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: foot pain during long rides....
Could me multiple things, but these are the ones I would suspect from your description.

First, cycling shoes should be tight, so if they are loose, which allows your foot too much movement, then you could easily get sore feet like you are describing. In cycling shoes, too large is worse than too small.

SPD's are made for mountain biking and although you can use them on the road, they do present a small platform, which can cause hot spots (i.e. concentrated pressure in a small area causing the pain). I would honestly recommend a pedal with a larger platform... something like Shimano SPD-SL (if you want Shimano), or my favorite would be Speedplay (don't get fooled by the small pedal, the cleat is the shoe interface and represents a sizable platform).

Gel inserts would more than likely make it worse since they offer no support at all. I've had great success with Specialized BodyGeometry insoles (my wife has them in all her shoes).

Finally, bike fit... could be your entire fit being off causing this issue, or something small like the cleat position being off causing it. Make sure the center of the cleat is inline with the center of the ball of your foot.
2013-09-13 7:14 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Thanks for the response as I have a 65 mile group ride tomorrow and wondering do I wear thick or thin socks. I think the shoes are a lil big as I can wiggle toes very easily. I did have a prof bike fit from awesome LBS and got larger shoe as one foot is bigger than the other (no ones perfect!)
My budget restricts me from making any big purchased changes although the wider pedal base makes sense. Think I will play with some changes with insoles/socks and see how it goes. I will also go back to shop and see what they advise.
Joy
2013-09-15 7:53 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Thick socks is the fix! So obviously shoes are a lil too big. I wore my fav running socks "feetures" which are thicker and after 75 mile ride NO foot pain!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot pain during long rides.... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Feet burning during long rides

Started by keepitup
Views: 485 Posts: 2

2012-05-21 3:09 PM lisac957

Feet burning during long rides

Started by keepitup
Views: 792 Posts: 2

2012-05-22 10:40 AM gleser

Hip Pain During/After Long Runs.

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 3983 Posts: 11

2008-09-29 5:53 PM cadmus

Tri or Rode Bike during long rides

Started by onefastswimmer8
Views: 2980 Posts: 5

2008-01-28 6:12 PM sty

foot ache during bike ride?

Started by charles81
Views: 456 Posts: 3

2004-09-18 12:14 AM econway
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : March 23, 2011
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 12, 2008
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.