REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 52m 31s
Overall Rank = 108/249
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, ate, applied tattoos, did all the usual things. All transition bags and special needs bags were packed and ready to be dropped off the night before, but with the threat of rain, I decided to drop them off on Sunday. All went well, but I didn't expell as I wanted to. This turned out to be a good thing in the end (pardon the pun).
Event warmup:

The swim was moved to the other site, so we walked a half mile to swim start. We were able to bring running shoes, but I was too afraid of putting sand in them as I ran back to T1 so I planned on wearing my flip-flops. The use of trislide mede my feet too slippery, so I trotted back barefoot. I was slower than most, but this was going to be a long day--all was good.
Swim
  • 1h 08m 53s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Loved the time trial start. It was nice not to have mass chaos. Sighting was easy, but approaching the first bouy I kept drifting to the left. After that, navigation was really easy. The current helped us on the far side of the island. The rough part was beginning the 2nd loop and coming in due to the heavy winds and chop. I also had a very difficult time on the 2nd loop--I found a pocket of 3-4 people who I couldn't get around or out of their way. I felt blocked in. But overall, this was my most relaxed and mentally easy swim ever!
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster to go around those blocking my path.
Transition 1
  • 10m 28s
Comments:

T1 was over a half mile away, thus the long transition time. Plus, I took time to use the bathroom and make sure I had everything and lubed up again.

Bring my running shoes?
Bike
  • 6h 26m 20s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I could have gone faster on the first lap, but I was glad I held back. On the second lap, my legs were fried from all the wind. There was no escaping it. I was changing to the granny gear often on the slight hills on lap 2. Also, digestion was becoming an issue. I was eating on my schedule, but I felt like I wasn't digesting anything. It was just sitting like a rock in my stomach. On lap 2 I found my special needs bag hoping I put in a sandwich, but alas, no sandwich. I wiped off my shoes and feet because I felt like there was sand in them and didn't want to get a blister. Hopped back on and off I went to the finish. Saw Steve around mile 60 and it brought me to tears... He has helped so much.

Pack my sandwich for variety. Other than that, nothing. The bike is my worst and I survived it. I also felt pretty good after it, too.
Transition 2
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

I didn't run or jump off of the bike. I wanted to make sure I stopped securely. With no one behind me, I didn't feel rushed. I was so glad to get off of that thing!

I could have gone faster in the tent, but wanted to make sure I had all I needed. I found my sandwich and ate it on the way out.
Run
  • 5h 01m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I did exactly as I had planned in keeping the heart rate low. What I didn't do was follow my eating and drinking plan--but this wasn't a bad thing. I realized that each time I drank my formula, my stomach would bloat. Instead, i drank coke and water and each aid station while walking. After a few rounds of that, I dumped my drink and filled my bottle with water only. For eating, I couldn't tolerate my pocket fuel anymore. I ate pretzels and bananas. After a few bananas, my digestion caught up with me. (Un)fortunately, I knew I was drinking and eating enough--I had to use the bathroom often. It was more a feeling than having to go, but I at least knew I was drinking enough to produce something. That at least reassured my revised nutrition plan. I ate at about every aid station and drank something (mmm. chicken broth) to make sure my wits and kidneys were still with me. The plan was successful, but I think I could cut off about 20 minutes with fewer potty breaks. Saw Steve and the kids on the second loop so I walked with them a while and enjoyed their company. Also walked wtih a few others who I'm not sure made it or not.

1. Do not pack anything for the run. Eat on the course. I didn't use anything I packed.
2. Trust myself--I knew I didn't have to go to the bathroom that bad, but I went anyway costing me time
3. Stop at every other aid station. I played it too conservativly, I think.
4. Run faster. My pace reflects aid station and bathrooms, but I feel I could have run at a faster speed and keep it all in zone 2.
Post race
Warm down:

Used Norma-Tech for the first time. Pain! After being in there, my legs would not support me. Steve walked me over to the food tent where I almost barfed just looking at the food. Steve had already packed up my stuff, so he brought the van up to me, took me to the hotel and got me an ice cream sundae for dinner. Yum. Best dinner ever.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear of an upset stomach or exhaustion on the run. I was very conservative, but I succeeded. The first one is to get it done. All others are for being faster. I have learned a lot about full distance racing from this. Also realized that the lack of digestion on the bike prevented me from having potty issues on the run which I had lots of in training. Also, the weather really wore me down after a while, BUT, 2 days prior to the race it was in the 80s and humid. The day to 3 days after the race it was in the 90s. I'll take what I was dealt, thank you very much.

Event comments:

With my late arrival, tents were already taken down and people went home, but the finish line was rockin'. Carried the flag as my family finished with me and I loved every minute of it. Rev3 puts on a fantastic race! Kudos to them for having a back-up swim course!!! As a side note, I wanted to get a finisher jacket upon leaving, but they were already packed up. I have the email of the person I need to contact... [email protected]

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:53 | 3862 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 46/249
Performance: Good
Garmin said it was just shy of 4000m.
Suit: volt sleeveless
Course: In the harbor, around the island to the left. 2 loops then back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:26:20 | 112 miles | 17.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 107/7
Overall: 107/249
Performance: Good
A mixed bag of zone 1-4. Tried to keep it no higher than 3, but the wind just sucked it out of me.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out, 2 loops,and back along mostly country and some city roads. Only about 4 miles on each loop were chip and seal. We had some rain as well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:01:26 | 26.2 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 108/7
Overall: 108/249
Performance: Average
HR stayed in zone 1 and 2--right where I wanted it. I wasn't sure of how I'd be feeling on the run, so I thought I'd be like a roast: low and slow.
Course: Out of the park, around a corner to 3 or 4 fingers of streets and back. 2 loops. City streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-13 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev

2013-09-16 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4855393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev
Congratulations, Robin! Well done.

What did you think of the swim course change?

I was waiting for some Full Rev race reports. I did IMMT this summer as my first full, but I want to support Rev 3 races next season. Would you do the Full Rev again? Thoughts?
2013-09-16 11:40 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Congrats!!  That's a long day, and you raced well.  Laughing

I didn't realize they'd changed the swim course.  Was that an audible/day of change?

I had never run a race with Coke before my HIM this year, and it was good stuff - glad you discovered the "black gold" as well.  Wink

Thanks for the RR - my wife has family in Cleveland (and we lived in Shaker Heights a couple times for work in the past couple decades), so this one was on my list.  I appreciate the detail.

Great job!
Matt

2013-09-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
140.6 - thats a long way

now that you have done both , which do you prefer?
2013-09-16 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4855393

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Congrats on a great race!!   You definitely put in the right amount of work for this, and it paid off well!

I was surprised that I never saw you or Steve out there, but I did finally see Zach as he headed out on the run and again as he finished the first lap.    Other than those winds, it was a beautiful day to race.

If I can do as well in my first 140.6, I'll be ecstatic.

2013-09-16 10:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
C-bus

jarvy--I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  They're laid back, family friendly, and the volunteers are fantastic!!!  Service with a smile! The swim was actually easier than the lake, I thought.  Sighting was a breeze--it was a narrow channel you had to navigate.  With time-trial start, it was my favorite swim of the year!

I'd do it next year, but I promised her we'd do a school outing that is the same weekend next year.  We had to skip it for my race.  (I'm such a bad mom.)

congratulations to you as well!!!

Edited by sungirl919 2013-09-16 11:01 PM

2013-09-16 11:06 PM
in reply to: bananatoes

User image

Expert
C-bus
BANANATOES!!!!!!  I miss squinting at your pale-whiteness at our races.  Hope things are well with you!  140.6 is a different animal.  I didn't "race" it, but planned to endure.  It wasn't a horrible experience, not even exhausting... I planned on being relaxed on race day and keeping the heart rate down, and that was by far the hardest part.  I just want to tear into races and rip them to shreads.  It was weird mentally to do that.  I enjoyed it, but you really can't compare a full to a shorter distance.  Strategy is so different.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 1394 Posts: 1

2012-07-08 10:39 PM Shermbelle

Started by ryanjleone
Views: 1549 Posts: 1

2011-09-14 7:01 AM ryanjleone

Started by sdanaher
Views: 2966 Posts: 5

2011-09-20 9:26 PM Atlas_Shrugged

Started by Blased33
Views: 2047 Posts: 1

2011-09-12 6:55 PM Blased33

Started by wannabefaster
Views: 1951 Posts: 3

2011-09-13 4:29 PM yeats
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.
date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.