Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 42s
Overall Rank = 71/228
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 am. Ate some oatmeal and peanut butter. Drank 8 oz. of coffee - not much for a morning. Then as we were driving for an hour, I slowly sipped on a water bottle. After I set up stuff up in transition, which was about 90 mins before the race, I ate two bananas.
Event warmup:

I jogged up and down this hill a few times, then kept my heart going with jumps/swinging my arms. About 15 mins before the start, I hopped in the lake and did a quick 5 min swim. The water was SO warm.
Swim
  • 14m 9s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

We paired up based on times, and the girl next to me told me she purposely overstated her time and that I would pass her immediately. Which was true.

But wow, I zig-zagged all over the place, to the point that my family all commented on it after the race. There was no one to draft, because my swimming "partner" was much slower. I kept sighting, and kept seeing that I was off course. It was extremely frustrating.

Had to dip into the breast stroke every now and then because I was getting flustered over being off course. I need to practice relaxing more. However, when I was in the groove, I was really in the groove. The last 300 meters or so flew by -- largely because I was finally able to swim in a straight line.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice open water swimming more. I also need to learn how to still be able to swim amidst getting flustered.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

This was by far my best transition in the history of the sport - largely because I wanted it to be part of the race, and not a break. It's odd coming back to triathlon; I'm so much more competitive than I used to be. I'm no longer meandering through the transitions, out of breath from the sports.

Nothing -- I'm very happy with my performance.
Bike
  • 46m 35s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew that this would be my fastest bike time ever -- I had put in the miles finally. And honestly, I'm surprised it was even this fast. Biking is my weakest sport by far. However, I focused on spinning the whole time, and that seemed to work. Overall, my effort was about 80 percent.

I couldn't figure out how to drink on the bike. Luckily, even during the run I didn't get thirsty, but this will have to change for next time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Again, sped through the transition because I viewed it as part of the race. I struggled a little with the bike, but my shoes and helmet flew off, and my running shoes flew on. It was great.

Nothing.
Run
  • 21m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow - this run. I had read on BT that it would be hilly, but I didn't figure that would matter that much. After all, I'd trained on hills. Still, it was a tough run. I passed a few people; I only remember getting passed once.

Annoyingly, I forgot to sing the song I had planned when climbing that first long hill. But I was so in the zone, I barely noticed the "official" race music blaring. After mile 1, I just wanted to finish. The last mile became a battle to fight against the urge to stop. But I made it through. The last part is downhill, and I kept trying to go faster, but my legs literally wouldn't move more quickly.

Oh well, I nailed the pace that I had planned (6:50 per mile).

I'm not sure. Perhaps practice sprints more, so that my legs are used to moving very quickly when fatigued.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around after the race and ate food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I only had two months to train for this, from basically being a couch potato for two months. I also didn't incorporate a lot of speedwork because I was so focused on endurance. It would have helped to have clocked a few more interval sessions.

Event comments:

This is a great course. It's hilly, but SetUp Events always does a fantastic job putting on triathlons.

Last updated: 2013-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:09 | 750 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/228
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The course is a clockwise loop with two turns. We started in the water -- which I liked because I wasn't too fond of the idea of diving in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:35 | 14.5 miles | 18.68 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: The course was rolling/flat. I couldn't make up my mind whether it was hilly or not. There were definitely some flat, fast parts, but then there were other parts that looked fast and weren't. It was confusing. It was also very windy. But the hills weren't bad at all. There was only one hill that I really had to downshift to get over. And it came after a long downhill, so I was well recovered.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:15 | 03.1 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Course: This was a tough run! There's never a point when you're not on a hill. And the uber steep climb right at the beginning doesn't do well for an easy transition off the bike.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-14 2:31 PM

User image

New user

Raleigh
Subject: Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon

Started by MJacaruso
Views: 826 Posts: 2

2012-09-18 8:39 AM japarker24

Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon

Started by ckb_nc
Views: 1616 Posts: 2

2012-09-18 8:43 AM japarker24

Belews Lake Triathlon

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 984 Posts: 1

2008-04-20 10:01 PM canadarn2001

Belews Lake Triathlon

Started by fcarter389
Views: 1237 Posts: 5

2008-04-21 2:19 PM love2tri

Belews Lake Triathlon

Started by johnkav
Views: 940 Posts: 3

2008-04-21 3:15 PM rventuri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.