General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pacific Grove, California
United States
Tri-California Events
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 21s
Overall Rank = 81/600
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

Pre-Pre-race. Found out on Tuesday I had come down with a case of Shingles. Prognosis was lots of pain and lots of itching/burning around the rashes. Good news was that I could still race if I was feeling up to it. Made the call yesterday and went for it not knowing how it would affect my performance. This morning got up at 6 had my pre-race bagel and peanut butter and down to the venue with 2 hours until my wave started, so had plenty of time to leisurely set up my transition area.and watch the first wave start.
Event warmup:

A 15 minute run and stretch routine, into the wetsuit and into the 60 degree water to get acclimated and swim ready.
Swim
  • 28m 1s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got a bit caught up in the excitement of the start, but got it under control fairly quickly. The cold water messed with my breathing for the first few minutes, but eventually settled down to be no issue at all. Having swum this last year I was ready for the kelp and got through it without much difficulty. Second lap felt much better than the first and I knew I was ahead of last year's pace when I got back in the water ahead of the wave starting behind me. Ended up shaving 7:29(!!) off my swim last year.
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to the kelp. There were definite swim lanes you could follow in many places that would avoid the kelp and allow you to keep your rhythm and pace.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

Swim ends on a low beach requiring running up stairs and ramps, but not too bad. Compared to last year, much better. Last year had trouble with balance getting out of the water, and had to walk up the steps/ramps, but this time out of the water and running to the bike.

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 12m 43s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.00 km/hr
Comments:

Wanted to achieve an average speed of 21 mph and per my Garmin, did exactly that. Timing chip says only 20.4 mph - don't get it; how could they be that different? Complete rookie error on the dismount where I failed to completely unclip my left shoe, resulting a fall that dislocated my left ring finger, leading to further issues in T2. Funny part was that the spectators were asking if I was OK and I gave them the thumbs up signal with my left hand, except my ring finger was bent in such a way that it was clearly not ALL OK! I was happy though, beat last year's bike time by 7:10.

Unclip properly! Not much else as I hit my HR and speed goals as reported by my Garmin on-course.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Well, as I said in the bike part, during the dismount I managed to dislocate my finger. Run the bike to the rack and get it on, then take a look at my finger. At the first joint the second segment was up and riding out of the socket (or so it looked) with the finger bent at a very unnatural angle. I was hoping it was just a dislocation and grabbed the top of the finger and yanked and everything went back to where it belonged and all was well - with the finger. Unfortunately the whole finger thing put me off my sequence as I could not take my helmet off until I fixed the finger. Once the finger was back in place, got my shoes on, grabbed my race belt and headed out - not noticing that I had NEVER taken my helmet off!! Yup, I was THAT GUY during the run, the one with the helmet on. I got a lot of good natured ribbing from other runners and spectators, but took the position it made me more aero. Rookie mistake #2.

Maybe take off the helmet, but otherwise satisfied
Run
  • 48m 50s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 53s  min/km
Comments:

It wasn't until I was about half a mile in I realized I still had my helmet on. All I could do was laugh at myself and be prepared to laugh with everyone else. Made a lot of people smile, that's for sure, and I'm sure the photos from the race will be memorable. At least I had the presence of mind to take it off before I crossed the finish line! I love this run as the pace was pushing my previous bests but I was feeling pretty good. Ended up beating last year's time by 4:10.

Be helmet free.
Post race
Warm down:

Visit the medical tent to get my hand looked at to make sure it was just a dislocation. Then walk some to cool down and get some of the post race nutrition in my. Neglected to stretch, which I felt in the car ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably my own lack of understanding of my limitations. I could have pushed harder on the ride and run probably.

Last updated: 2013-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:01 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 143/600
Performance: Good
Not available, but the second lap was definitely managed better in terms of sighting, finding the swim lanes between kelp, and form.
Suit: full Reaction
Course: Kelp Crawl! 2 laps counterclockwise through the kelp beds.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:43 | 40 kms | 33.00 km/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 57/600
Started out and let the HR be in upper z3/lower z4 but not pushing it. This was for about the first mile, then kept it in mid z3.
Wind: Little
Course: 4 laps along a beautiful ocean view that I never once looked at.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:48:50 | 10 kms | 04m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 127/600
Kept the heart rate in the 160's and pace sub-8:00 for all laps. I might have been able to push it a bit harder, but not much.
Course: 3 laps along a beautiful ocean view that I never looked at. Mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-14 7:01 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course

2013-09-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4855739

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course
Nice job! Way to get through with a busted finger and persevere!

Next year, I'm sure you'll have inspired others to run with helmet, for the aero benefit of course!
2013-09-16 1:53 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course

Just a great job of pushing much faster than last year - in every category!  Terrific.

Considering that you pulled out a great race with shingles is even more impressive.  My wife had them several years back and had what amounted to two weeks of the flu (symptoms-wise, at least).  That and a bendy finger?  Hardcore.

Congrats!

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course

Started by sdswriter
Views: 1125 Posts: 2

2013-06-21 5:41 PM clydecat

Started by nbo10
Views: 950 Posts: 2

2012-09-13 10:51 PM BigDH

Started by TTom
Views: 1418 Posts: 1

2012-09-09 9:33 AM TTom

The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance

Started by wieczynski
Views: 2549 Posts: 5

2006-09-26 11:05 PM Robin in AZ

The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance

Started by dutch
Views: 1579 Posts: 3

2006-09-18 6:54 AM brian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.