General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacific Grove Oly - Good, bad, and ugly Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-14 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Pacific Grove Oly - Good, bad, and ugly

Did the Pacific Grove Oly today for the second year in a row and boy was it a mixed bag:

The Good:

Swim 7:29 better than last year

Bike 7:10 better than last year

Run 4:10 better than last year

Overall - a 19:41 PR!

The Bad:

Rookie mistake at the end of the ride and didn't quite get unclipped on my left side.  Went down and dislocated my left ring finger and had to self-adjust in T2.

The Ugly - and I'm blaming this on the Bad distracting me.  I went out of T2 with my bike helmet still on my head.  I knew I'd catch a lot of good-natured ribbing on the run as a result, and I did, but took the position it was making me more aero - and based on my run time, maybe it did.

Race report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=500862

2013-09-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Pacific Grove Oly - Good, bad, and ugly
Forgot to mention - I was second in my AGLaughing
2013-09-14 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Wow great job! That dislocated finger was significant distraction!! I'm impressed you stayed as focused as you did and great job in the AG.
2013-09-15 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I've done a good, bad and ugly thread before but yours is better, badder and uglier! Congratulations on your podium.
2013-09-16 3:44 PM
in reply to: blynott

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Health-wise this race was cursed.  Last weekend thought I'd really injured my back, turns out I got hit with Shingles and the pain was all nerve related to that; more than once considered a DNS.  Dealt with (and continue to deal with) that throughout the week, then the finger incident.  Finger has has gotten worse since the incident, kinda looks like a sausage that went bad last week, so went to the doc this morning and it turns out it was a dislocation and fracture.  Good time for the off season to arrive . . .

2013-09-16 6:35 PM

San Jose
Great job Tom! I had a similar dismount three years back, but fortunately no injury other than my ego! To have improved that much in all three areas, completely awesome.

Hope your hand heals quickly and completely!

2013-09-16 6:53 PM

User image

Congrats.

Did you actually run the whole time with your helmet on? 

2013-09-16 7:20 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Jason - Considered taking it off but rules is rules, no abandoning anything on the course, right Wink.  Kept it on until about 100 yards before the finish line as I really didn't want to have the finish video/photos immortalize my domination of the Dork category.  I had to have placed first in that group.
2013-09-16 7:33 PM

User image

wow...I for sure wouldn't have dumped the helmet (for simple fear of not getting it back)...but at the same time I'm really not sure what I would do.  Do you run back to T2?  I wish I was there to see it though...LOL.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacific Grove Oly - Good, bad, and ugly Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Tri This Weekend - The good, bad, and ugly

Started by MarkL2
Views: 845 Posts: 2

2010-09-20 9:36 AM ToeKnail

biker looking for swimmer and runner for Pacific Grove Triathlon

Started by johnrsims
Views: 576 Posts: 2

2009-07-13 10:37 AM johnrsims

New bike: bad news, good news, bad news, good news

Started by jonathan22
Views: 2012 Posts: 12

2007-02-05 6:33 AM jonathan22

Bike manufacture, good, bad or ugly?

Started by tdebeers
Views: 851 Posts: 5

2006-09-24 8:33 AM tdebeers

Pacific Grove Oly - Sept 10

Started by madkat
Views: 456 Posts: 1

2005-03-02 2:10 AM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.

date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.
date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?