General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The cyclocross Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-15 11:18 AM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: The cyclocross Thread
Disappointed in YOU people, we've had two weekends of UCI races and nothing!

Feel free to post your race reports and talk cross here. I'm coming back from collarbone surgery and will not be cleared to race until early October.

Tim Johnson and Jeremy Powers both took wins this weekend on opposite sides of the US.

Ben Berden hoping the planks last night ..... https://vine.co/v/hng7zmH7YJV

2013-10-21 8:57 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: The cyclocross Thread
Well after 8 weeks of waiting on my collar bone plate to fully heal, I started racing cx with power down 10% and weight up 10lbs

On Sat, our series featured a power course, included a triple barrier section and a fly over.

Finished 29th grabbing two series points (helps staging). Ended up in no mans land but had a teammate a few secs ahead that helped me keep the gas down. No dabs or crashes but I am very rusty.

Sunday. A mix of power and tech course. Lots of slight off camber rooted turns, a barrier w creek crossing, and a pump and rhythm section. Put the power down when I could but struggled through the rooted turns. Just rusty. Some laps I could find the line others I was a mess. Finished 30th. Grabbed a series point....

ITB and quad were a mess this weekend. Woke up and couldn't straighten my leg. I was powered by Advil this weekend. Feed to roll all week and keep moving forward. Trying to peak and be ready in December.

****In Intl news****

Lars Van Der Holeshot grabbed his first pro win at the World Cup. Great ride and Vos made it a Dutch double taking the womens race.
2013-10-21 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I'm glad you're all healed up!

I may be doing my first cross race this weekend after doing a skills camp last weekend. I'm borrowing a friend's bike since I don't have my own. What's the deal with the cat 5 now? Are the cat 4 races that packed? And how do you upgrade? It's like a whole new world...
2013-10-21 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I raced on Saturday. I get to race with the open women and it only being my second race, it's pretty tough. There's a couple of women in the same boat as me, so I mostly race at the back with them.

I haven't really ever practiced cyclocross, so I have no idea how to dismount and mount. I guess I can work on that.  I'm not bad with the rest of the course, but I always try to stay on my bike where possible because I am so bad with the dismounting and mounting and I don't have a cross bike, so I use my touring bike which is heavy. I can barely lift it.

Still it's fun though and I'll keep racing just for fun. Also the photos from the race are always really cool.

(lionscross_2013_1.jpg)

(lionscross_2013_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lionscross_2013_1.jpg (248KB - 15 downloads)
lionscross_2013_2.jpg (93KB - 16 downloads)
2013-10-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by MonkeyClaw

I'm glad you're all healed up!

I may be doing my first cross race this weekend after doing a skills camp last weekend. I'm borrowing a friend's bike since I don't have my own. What's the deal with the cat 5 now? Are the cat 4 races that packed? And how do you upgrade? It's like a whole new world...

10 races gets you out of the C5's w/ a mandatory upgrade . CX has such hot beds, that races sell out way quickly and then needed to had the extra race for more beginners. We have a Cat 4 and Cat 4/5 that will each approach 100 on course.

2013-10-21 2:54 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by running2far
Originally posted by MonkeyClaw I'm glad you're all healed up! I may be doing my first cross race this weekend after doing a skills camp last weekend. I'm borrowing a friend's bike since I don't have my own. What's the deal with the cat 5 now? Are the cat 4 races that packed? And how do you upgrade? It's like a whole new world...
10 races gets you out of the C5's w/ a mandatory upgrade . CX has such hot beds, that races sell out way quickly and then needed to had the extra race for more beginners. We have a Cat 4 and Cat 4/5 that will each approach 100 on course.

200 people on the course at once. Wow!

2013-10-25 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Who's racing this weekend?

2013-10-25 11:39 AM
in reply to: jeng

User image

over a barrier
Racing Saturday in Wisconsin in the Cat 3 race (coffin barrier for Halloween) and Sunday in my normal CCC series 30+ open. Hopefully can grab at point for two in the Sunday race, currently predicated out of the pts.
2013-10-25 12:01 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

My fingers are crossed for you. Do you dress up for the Halloween race. I'm racing pumpkin cross on Sunday and pretty much everyone dresses up. Here's my pic from last year.

(pumpkincross.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pumpkincross.jpg (866KB - 19 downloads)
2013-10-25 1:40 PM

User image

over a barrier
In our series, prior to using staging points, if you dressed up you got a call up....so EVERYONE wanted to dress up. Now its hit or miss. I haven't for a couple of years. There are some creative costumes though.
2013-10-25 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I'm putting together a ballerina costume for Sunday.

Good luck on your races. I'll be waiting for the race report on Monday.

2013-10-28 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I did my first CX race this weekend. It was a good time, although everyone said it was more of an MTB course than CX. Lots of loose gravel and dirt destroyed any chances I had at a good finish (considering my lack of off-road experience). I can see the appeal though! I'm going to try some more races when I can. One of my teammates lets me use her bike since she can't race right now (preggo w/ twins). I got 4th in the cat 5's.
2013-10-28 9:50 AM

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by MonkeyClaw

I did my first CX race this weekend. It was a good time, although everyone said it was more of an MTB course than CX. Lots of loose gravel and dirt destroyed any chances I had at a good finish (considering my lack of off-road experience). I can see the appeal though! I'm going to try some more races when I can. One of my teammates lets me use her bike since she can't race right now (preggo w/ twins). I got 4th in the cat 5's.

Nice work.

My Saturday race went okay. Cat 3 race in Wisconsin, very tough course. Multiple ride-able hills, sweeping decents, and one massive double barrier w/ run up. Finished in the high 20's out of 30 something racing. No dabs or crashes but didn't race w/ hair on fire. Just not ready to crash at that speed yet.

Sunday: DNF. Got put into a tree on the first lap and then washed out in a turn on lap 1. I felt like crap in warmup and after that awful first lap....finished lap 2 and rolled off course. This morning woke up sick, so that explains the dead legs and feeling like poo..

2013-10-29 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

My race on Sunday wasn't my best, but it was a lot of fun. Started and maintained a mid pack position. I am really bad at run ups and barriers and this course had both. There were also a lot of straightaways, so I could pass people in the straights, but then they'd catch me again. I should practice those barriers sometime. I never go for a cross ride though. Whenever I am not road riding, I opt to ride my mountain bike.

I wore a ballerina costume and my slippers got caked in mud and it was quite difficult to clip in. Sometimes I had to ride the course with one foot. That sucked too. 

On the last last, some of us ladies were getting caught by the men that were on the course at the same time. They were yelling at us to let them pass, but there were too many of us, too many of them and not enough room. Around a lake, I thought I could give them a bit more room and tried to go really wide to the right so some guys could pass me to the left. The grass and mud was pretty slippery all the way around on this course and I completely slid out and a couple of guys landed on top of me. I somehow managed to land on my chest, knocked the wind out of myself and now have a lot of bruising on my chest. Most people came around me at that time and it took me a minute or two to really get going again, so I'm pretty sure I finished DFL.

(pumpkincross_2013_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pumpkincross_2013_1.jpg (174KB - 17 downloads)
2013-11-20 1:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

over a barrier
Racing has been blah for me. Got sick for a few weeks and went DNF, DNS, DNF

didn't stop me from ripping some sand pits though

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Edited by running2far 2013-11-20 1:14 PM
2013-11-20 1:53 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by running2far Racing has been blah for me. Got sick for a few weeks and went DNF, DNS, DNF didn't stop me from ripping some sand pits though 

Were you able to make it out to Indian Lakes?  They had to cancel 1/2 the day due to the storms.  But they donated the remaining registration fees for the day to various charities. 

2013-11-20 2:52 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by running2far Racing has been blah for me. Got sick for a few weeks and went DNF, DNS, DNF didn't stop me from ripping some sand pits though 

Were you able to make it out to Indian Lakes?  They had to cancel 1/2 the day due to the storms.  But they donated the remaining registration fees for the day to various charities. 

Yes, Raced Day 1 in 30+ and was pre reg'd for Cat 123 day 2 but that was cancelled. I was home by the time they made the official announcement. Tornado warnings plus looking at the doppler I assumed they would cancel and took off.
2013-11-20 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Lets talk sizing.... I ride a small road bike (Giant TCR Advanced) which I think fits like a glove. I'm buying a small TCX for the remainder of the CX season.

Do you guys set up your CX bike differently than your road bike? I'm thinking slightly lower seat (between road and MTB) and slightly higher handlebars (I have about 5cm drop from seat the handlebars). I'll also be using this bike on singletrack and fireroads. Would you suggest the upper handlebar brake levers? Or maybe just for the rear?
2013-11-21 9:22 AM

User image

over a barrier
My saddle is slightly lower but nothing drastic. Most people will keep their bars about the same but move the hoods up for better control.

I won't like the brakes on the tops. My first bike came w/ them and I don't them off after 1 week.
2013-11-25 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I picked up my new TCX on Friday night, took it out on a mixed singletrack/road ride Saturday to dial it in, and raced twice on Sunday.

Coming from a road background, I'm still getting used to off-road riding. I've been doing more MTB lately to get comfortable and it's starting to show. We had several days of rain in the Phoenix area and the 2.3 mile course was in a horse park, so it was MUDDY! It was also very CX-bike friendly, as the MTB's were caking mud and there were a lot of faster spots, some pavement, and small gravel areas instead of the deep sand that the previous races had been on. They only had one set of barriers set up, but it was in a 'horse circle' with mud up to my ankles. Most people (including me) carried the whole way instead of trying to ride.

The first race was the masters 35+. Being only my second race, I was a bit nervous. I stayed with the front group for the first half of the race, then got thrown to the side of the course and into a bush by a huge rut in the mud. I spend the rest of the race trying to gain some spots back. It was a great learning experience for me and I ended up 13th/~20(?)

The second race was the cat 5 and I had 2 teammates in it. One of them is leading the series and the other is a strong MTB'er. We were racing with the single speeders, and they were starting the women's open racers and juniors after us in 15 second gaps. I stayed on the course better this time and after entering the first corner in about 10th place I made my way up to finish 4th, with the points leader taking second and my other teammate taking 6th.

Its definitely coming together more. I've been watching vids online to watch how people handle different obstacles along with doing more off-road riding. I think there are still 4 more races this year, and I'll try to race 3 of them. Then it should be time to cat up...
2013-11-25 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
A couple pics

(2013 Horse-Lover's Cross 3 (Small).jpg)

(2013 Horse-Lover's Cross 2 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2013 Horse-Lover's Cross 3 (Small).jpg (56KB - 17 downloads)
2013 Horse-Lover's Cross 2 (Small).jpg (57KB - 18 downloads)

2013-11-26 9:18 AM

User image

over a barrier
Great pics!

We need to have a talk about your barrier technique
2013-11-26 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Originally posted by running2far

Great pics!

We need to have a talk about your barrier technique

Yeah, it got better as the race went on. Remember, that was a long slog through the mud, not a short hop over a barrier
2013-12-02 9:51 AM

User image

over a barrier
Raced in the Cat 123 race on Saturday. Got my butt handed to me. Lapped twice by a Pro (course is very short but still)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2013-12-03 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
So THAT'S how you do it :-)

Looks like a fun course. More races this weekend!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The cyclocross Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Cyclocross Skills discussion

Started by running2far
Views: 2024 Posts: 8

2012-09-02 9:22 PM running2far

Cyclocross race reports Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 10128 Posts: 85

2013-03-20 4:54 PM MonkeyClaw

Cyclocross - The greatest sport ever Videos

Started by running2far
Views: 2572 Posts: 17

2012-08-16 5:18 PM wwhisler

Hey BT, who is doing some CYCLOCROSS?!?!?!?

Started by PeterAK
Views: 2886 Posts: 16

2009-10-21 9:14 AM CHR15 TREE

What no Vuelta Thread

Started by jcjsc00
Views: 1421 Posts: 9

2006-10-26 8:36 PM run joe run