General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just completed home grown full IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-18 5:18 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: just completed home grown full IM

I just did my own "half-IM on a whim" celebration of turning 50 (that happens tomorrow) last Friday -- 2.4 mi swim, 81 mi bike, 10 mi run (the real idea was a sprint for each decade, but I took some run miles and put them on the bike). Totally solo, stopping at home for a mid-ride food stop, and having T2 at home. Note: I did NOT train for this. I've done virtually NO swim training, and really only consider my run training good for a decent 6 miles. Anyway.. The sense of accomplishment was awesome. Knowing I could just pop off essentially a half-IM distance on my every-day training load, and do it with no drafting, no on-course support, just me and the road (okay, and the lake)...

Kudos to you, really. Awesome. I know I couldn't tack on another 16 miles to the "run".

Originally posted by switch

To the people suggesting that one day he could charge others  for this, I think you're being tongue in cheek.  Wouldn't it be cool to have a small long course event that didn't cost a damn thing? People just timed themselves on their watches and had friends volunteer support?  Power to the people!

Right on, OP.

The only issue becomes liability. But as for putting on an event, Hampsten Cycles put on a really nice ride this past summer on Snoqualmie Pass, using mostly dirt roads and MUT's. We had a great food stop at the half-way point, nice weather, great riders that "just showed up". It was all arranged as a Facebook event, and word-of-mouth (plus some strategic forum posts) provided the advertising. We signed standard waivers at the start. No official times, no place awards or anything, lots of friendly riding. I'm looking forward to it next year, and I'm planning to put on a ride or two of similar bent as well.

2013-09-18 8:01 PM
in reply to: k1200rsvt

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
That is awesome.  I would love to see a race report!!!! That rocks Congratulations!!
2013-09-18 8:17 PM
in reply to: completelyhis

Great accomplishment!!
Sorry in your results what does
x1 - 8:32
x2 - 7:03
mean?
2013-09-18 10:04 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

That is so much awesome!! 

I can't wait to read the RR and see the pics from the 1st ever McSmack IM Distance race!! 

2013-09-18 10:05 PM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Tripleplay44 Great accomplishment!! Sorry in your results what does x1 - 8:32 x2 - 7:03 mean?

The times represent how much time was taken for each transition...  in T1 (swim to bike) 8:32 and T2 (bike to run) 7:03.

2013-09-19 12:54 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

did a race report, called it "McSmack!" made it public. is anyone able to see it?

2013-09-19 2:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
This is what it is all about! Brilliant, just brilliant Congratulations on your first Ironman distance race, a real accomplishment, and I look forward to reading your report. Perhaps we should start calling these events "Ironman Solo" and "HIM Solo" etc?

Love the McSmack name and logo too, great art work. I think you HAVE to make that homebrew beer now, to celebrate your win?

Congratulations on your win, and give your family, friends and accompanying athletes big hugs/thanks for their help and aid during your race. Truly inspirational
2014-03-04 10:05 PM
in reply to: wartho

User image

Just put the 2nd annual "McSmack IanMan" on the calender for 09/20/2014. I'd like to invite people from this community to do it with me (especially if local). What's the best way to go about that?

Thanks,

Ian
2014-03-05 9:36 AM

User image

That is seriously awesome. I wish I had a situation like that! You have some really awesome supporters there!
2014-03-05 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by completelyhis

Just put the 2nd annual "McSmack IanMan" on the calender for 09/20/2014. I'd like to invite people from this community to do it with me (especially if local). What's the best way to go about that?

Thanks,

Ian
I would put flyers up at the LBS and any local gyms. Also, post it in your state forum.
2014-03-05 10:34 AM

User image

Absolutely fantastic! Hats off to you!

2014-03-05 10:46 AM

User image

Make this a tradition and others will join you.

If you do decide to continue, be cautious about advertising using anything related to WTC trademarks. On a long run with a local race promoter, she shared how WTC had sent her outfit a letter the Wednesday before a 70.3 distance race they were putting on, telling them that the use of the word "half" to describe the race distance implied "half-iron" and that they would have to remove the wording from any merc/awards or they would file suit. Moreover, she found out in talking to other promoters that the WTC had sent them similar letters ALL IN THE WEEK BEFORE THEIR RACE, rather than at the same time (so that they would know not to print t-shirts using the word "half." This strikes me as a clear attempt to squelch smaller promoters, who use words like "half" and 70.3 purely as descriptors and not for the purpose of branding, and who were subsequently stuck with t-shirts and merc they couldn't use. I'm not sure if the WTC would ever pay attention to a race that doesn't involve the exchange of money, but it is something to be aware of if this race does grow.

I for one hope it does.
2014-03-05 11:08 AM
in reply to: earlnc57

User image

I love the idea of this and that you had some many friends and family to help with you for the support of it.

Not everything has to be part of some sponsored race or event, I mean its nice to have those crowds and the medals and the official support an aid stations but its not needed.
2014-03-05 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thank for you sharing this! Congrats! :D
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just completed home grown full IM Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

How many IM's did you complete in April?

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 916 Posts: 7

2013-05-02 7:48 AM Sous

Riding IM courses at home -- how to?

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1553 Posts: 12

2012-09-19 8:52 PM tri808

Completing HIM or IM in alloted time?

Started by TheEdge
Views: 1014 Posts: 5

2010-08-07 12:28 AM TriAya

Completing a IM on Minimal Training.

Started by SteveinNY
Views: 2329 Posts: 25

2009-08-21 9:15 AM Steve in IL

Water Conditions at Tempe Town Lake - Home of IM AZ and SOMA 1/2 IM

Started by SwmBkRn
Views: 2652 Posts: 2

2004-10-22 6:55 PM SwmBkRn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
comments : 1
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : October 26, 2005
author : mikericci
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Here are the top 5 challenges in learning how to breathe in freestyle, along with the remedies on how to get over theme. Includes a 2250yard/meter workout.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.