HFP Racing
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 29s
Overall Rank = 113/242
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Rush, rush, rush.... my alarm did not go off. I woke up 25 minutes past when it was set for - the time I was targeting to walk out the door. Got dressed, took the dog out, fed and watered the dog, grabbed my stuff (thank God I was fully packed!) and ran out the door food in hand. Ate during the hour+ drive to the race.
Event warmup:

A few strokes in the water and a ton of wading around, chatting with my tri-club friends. The races started late, and the water was a good 20+ degrees warmer than the air, so we stayed submerged as long as possible.
Swim
  • 16m 33s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Haven't been thrilled with my swim times this season, but I haven't spent enough time working on that sport to really justify why I should be getting any faster. I had a rough start and got a couple of really big mouthfuls of lake water, some of which went down the wrong hatch. I actually stood up a one point and hacked for a good 10 seconds to try and clear it all out. Once that was sorted out, I got into a nice rhythym. Probably the best navigation and sighting I've ever done in a race.
What would you do differently?:

I should have started more towards the front of the pack. I ended up behind a bunch of flailers and I think that's how I ended up swallowing so much water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Super slow T1 because I had to fight my way into a long-sleeve cold gear shirt and a pair of gloves while dripping wet.

I probably should have bunched up the sleeves of the shirt before attempting to shove my soaking wet arm down the sleeve. Both sleeves got all kinds of stuck on my arms.
Bike
  • 49m 52s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy hills Batman! I've done this race the past three years, and I still didn't remember how crazy hilly this is. There's one short, steep section with chip seal that is particularly nasty.

Not much. I went as hard as my lungs and legs would allow. The hips and glutes were pretty well toasted by the end of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I stayed pretty warm on the bike, all except for my feet. I don't have shoe covers and I seriously could not feel my toes at the end of the bike. I had a very hard time getting my running shoes on, despite the fact that I had the bungee/race laces in.

Not a whole lot to be done about frozen, numb toes. Perhaps I need to invest in some shoe covers.
Run
  • 33m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Sigh... again, very obvious where I need to focus this off-season... run, run, run.

Bring different shoes. I had my minimalist shoes and not being accustomed to trail running, my feet took a beating.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, chatted with some tri friends and grabbed a couple of cookies and a water. Then headed to the beginning of the finishing chute/turn around for the OLY and cheered for everyone until the last of my tri friends doing the OLY made the turn.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of fresh legs (duh!) on a tough little course.

Event comments:

Kind of disappointed in the organization of this race. Typically this race company puts on a good race, and while things weren't horrible, they started very late and were desperately lacking volunteers. All that being said, I will likely do this race again next year, as this is an anomaly with this company.

Last updated: 2013-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:33 | 750 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 69/242
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Full wetsuit & CTC racing kit
Course: 1 lap counterclockwise loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:52 | 14 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 85/242
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: One loop on an outrageously hilly course. There is some debate on the actual elevation gain, but my Garmin (which is supposed to be fairly accurate showed 984 ft of elevation gain.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:33:11 | 03 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 176/242
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop course, with the first mile on asphalt (a constant, slow uphill) - "F" you course designer... that sucked! - with the second and third miles on trails in the park. The trail part was new this year and I was not expecting it. Completely wore the wrong shoes, as the trails were pretty technical, not some flat wood-chipped walking trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-16 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: Portage Lakes Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Portage Lakes Sprint Triathlon - Akron Internation

Started by LukeAT21
Views: 1563 Posts: 4

2007-09-18 12:14 PM willie05

Started by ezfast88
Views: 1609 Posts: 4

2007-09-18 1:01 PM ezfast88

Portage Lakes Sprint Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival

Started by smeiser
Views: 1322 Posts: 3

2007-09-18 11:46 AM JChristoff

Portage Lakes Sprint Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival

Started by willie05
Views: 1965 Posts: 10

2007-09-18 8:07 PM Kazho

Started by lfohl
Views: 1451 Posts: 2

2006-09-19 2:29 PM drdi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.