Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Sprint Events around Montreal in Nov/Dec ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-17 1:34 AM

User image

Subject: Sprint Events around Montreal in Nov/Dec ?
Hi all,

If you don't want to read through all the block of text, I basically want to find a sprint event in a 500km/300mi range of Montreal, QC, on Nov or Dec. The best I can find is the Blueman Triathlon which happens on Oct 12th, and is 750km/465mi away...

I doubt I'll be ready by then so any help finding something later and/or closer will be appreciated.

Now for those who want a little more background.

I have started training 9 weeks ago after 15 years of doing absolutely nothing.

My ultimate goal is running an IronMan in March 2015, which as you can imagine, is a serious commitment.

Right now, here's where I am with my training. I can mostly cover the distance, although very slow :
- Run : 4 reps of 1.6km (.99mi) running followed by .31km (.19mi) walking. The running part is done at an average of 6:50/km (11:00/mi), my best day being at 5:57/km (9:34/mi)
- Swim : 1500m (1640yards / .93mi) non stop in a 25m pool, at a pace of 28:55/km (46.31/mi). I have a lot of energy left at the end of the swim so I am slowly getting my pace up each workout.
- Bike : Will only be getting my bike on wednesday, so I have no idea for now what the numbers will be

So you have my evolution and level. Any help finding an event will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Simo

2013-10-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: simobk

User image

Subject: RE: Sprint Events around Montreal in Nov/Dec ?
Hi there

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, just saw your post today... First, you have to know that in November, it is very often that we see snow everywhere around here making a bike leg, let's say, not optimal.

The last sprint event was held on Sept 7th I believe, that being the triathlon Esprit de Montréal. I am not aware of any triathlon event going on in the states at that period of the year, though.

Here's my 2 cents: If you are around Qc in that time of the year, and considering your background, I would suggest you take advantage of the off-season to build a good base. You seem to be pretty at ease with the swimming part - That's good. But as you certainly know better than me, the longest part of your coming Ironman is the bike portion, and I think there could be a lot to be done there during our long, dark and cold days of winter.

Cross country skiing is also an excellent option to get that cardio going during the winter as well.

That said, I don't have a lot of experience in triathlon so maybe one would think differently. Just hope this somewhat helps.

Cheers !

Mike
2014-09-12 12:21 PM
in reply to: Frenchie_Mikey

Subject: RE: Sprint Events around Montreal in Nov/Dec ?
Look for the "Triathlon Quebec" site. They have a calendar whith most triathlon, duathlon, winter triathlon including some running races and so forth around Quebec. Quite sure it is bilingual, you may have to look for the French button if you only understand English.

I think the last triathlon is next weekend and is an offroad triathlon (mountain bike) in St-Alphonse. Maybe you will find duathlons which would allow you to practice some aspects of the triathlon (bike, run and transition)...

I too started recently and I think you are doing a very good decision in competing in smaller events before the bigger ones.

Good luck!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Sprint Events around Montreal in Nov/Dec ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Group around Montreal

Started by edfoxx.3
Views: 1794 Posts: 1

2012-03-19 11:07 PM edfoxx.3

Races around Montreal

Started by fdulak
Views: 4156 Posts: 13

2012-12-06 10:22 PM LollyR

Where to ride in montreal?

Started by bturton
Views: 1832 Posts: 4

2007-05-31 6:54 AM onbelay

Triathlon de Montreal

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 2839 Posts: 12

2007-08-06 10:44 AM soloryder

Heads up for Montreal Esprit tri this weekend

Started by p4406
Views: 2793 Posts: 24

2005-09-19 4:08 PM Opus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : October 4, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
I was filled with anticipation for this event, as it was the first in what I hoped would be many triathlons, and I had no idea how I'd do.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.
date : November 27, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Know that base training is not a component of training that is going to necessarily make you faster, but it will make you stronger and give you more endurance to last through the longer races.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Your training schedule should be based completely on the hours you have available to train, not necessarily on the number of hours you "need" to train.