General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM on Saturday -- Might Have a Cold - No Meds? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-17 9:09 AM

User image

New user
Subject: HIM on Saturday -- Might Have a Cold - No Meds?
I started feeling symptoms come on last night -- could be a cold, could be allergies. My first HIM is this saturday and my plan is to kill whatever is making me feel this way before it grows. Last night and this morning I took Vit C, Zinc, and Dayquil. I was about to go to the pharmacy and pick up either some daytime Theraflu (which I've had good experiences with) or claritin.

I just did some searching here and read some advice that you shouldn't take symptom suppressing meds. I'd search more but need to get work.

I'd really like to hear more opinions from others about taking that stuff. Anyone have experience with it that can weigh in? I'd love to knock this thing out, but not at the expense of completely draining me for race day. If I do take the meds, i would plan to not take anything after tomorrow (if that much) so that I have thursday and friday to get it all out of my system.

I'm in a very light taper week and have already decided not to train at all and get as much rest as possible. Work is going to keep me from getting a lot of sleep, but I'll do my best.

Thanks.

2013-09-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: RE: HIM on Saturday -- Might Have a Cold - No Meds?
I know it sounds weird, gross, whatever...but try to get to the pool and swim a few laps. Nothing hard just swim and let the water and chlorine get in there and wash out your sinuses. It may just be me, but I find it helps break up all that stuff and recover quicker. Then an easy bike ride leaned over in aero with a few good snot rockets to clear the pipes to top it off. Also like to sweat it out in a sauna if one is available , but do the sauna thing at least a couple of days before race day as it will zap your strength. Just my 2 pennies.

Edited by mroger82 2013-09-17 11:25 AM
2013-09-17 1:44 PM
in reply to: mroger82

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by mroger82

I know it sounds weird, gross, whatever...but try to get to the pool and swim a few laps. Nothing hard just swim and let the water and chlorine get in there and wash out your sinuses. It may just be me, but I find it helps break up all that stuff and recover quicker. Then an easy bike ride leaned over in aero with a few good snot rockets to clear the pipes to top it off. Also like to sweat it out in a sauna if one is available , but do the sauna thing at least a couple of days before race day as it will zap your strength. Just my 2 pennies.

As long as I am not actually sick (like flu sick, running a fever), jumping in the pool works wonders. If its a cold, I find thats the best medicine ever. Clears the sinuses right up for the whole day.
2013-09-17 4:54 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Expert
Dayquil and Theraflu have a lot of of the same components, so be careful taking them together (you definitely don't want extra acetaminophen).  If you have allergies claritin might help.  None of these will stop a cold or shorten it.  The evidence for zinc and vitamin C is marginal, but it probably won't hurt (besides the risk of losing your smell with zinc sprays).  I like the idea of swimming, and a little running can be immune boosting.   Chicken soup is always a good bet. 
2013-09-17 5:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
NW
Originally posted by noofus

Originally posted by mroger82

As long as I am not actually sick (like flu sick, running a fever), jumping in the pool works wonders. If its a cold, I find thats the best medicine ever. Clears the sinuses right up for the whole day.

And now I know why I catch colds after swimming in the pool!! :-)

Edited by tamason 2013-09-17 5:09 PM
2013-09-17 5:09 PM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

New user
I went with Claritin and Halls. The Claritin has dried me up some. Throat feels better than it did yesterday too. Had some chicken soup, drinking lots of fluid including copious amounts of water, OJ, and green tea. I want to stay away from activities -- I have a history of ignoring these types of symptoms for too long and then they turn into bronchitis or sinusitus and i end up on antibiotics, which is really what i'm trying to avoid here. i feel like any exercise, even very light, would be pushing it for me. hopefully this will pass by thursday. i only plan to take the meds today, and tomorrow if necessary.

2013-09-17 6:12 PM

User image

Oil of Oregano, seriously just a few drops will kill almost any cold. If you get a potent blend oil of oregano it acts as strong antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral. Also pay attention to the head down rule, meaning if from your head down you feel fine. Typically you can bounce back once you starting exercising.
2013-09-19 7:42 AM

User image

DC
Mama always told me to sweat it out while you sleep... like wake up w/the pillow stuck to your head b/c of sweat. Has always worked for me--assuming it's not a more serious flue. How to deal w/the comfortableness? Nyquil &/or tequila. I know the latter is highly not recommended by most.
2013-09-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4857509

User image

New user
if I was doing a shorter distance i might say F it and go with tequila. lol. i just have a feeling that's not ideal under the circumstances.

never heard of oregano oil but i might pick it up if only to put it on my pizza. if i keeps me well to that's a bonus.

i've been improving bit by bit everyday and sleeping well enough, but i'm still not 100%. i had hoped not to take any meds today, but i felt like they would still help and i'm hoping that by taking them early today it'll all be out of my system by saturday.

i stuck with claratin, dayquil, chicken soup (not home made though : ( ) OJ, water, tea, zinc, vit C, and a few occassional hits from my inhaler.

late nights (home at midnight last night) and elevated stress at work are not helping.

wtf i really needed this to just be an easy week coasting into the race. i'm going to be at the office late again tonight and then will be scrambling in the morning to pack up to hit the road for the race.

i could use some good vibes from the collective out there. BT'ers helped me get this far, can y'all help me see this through?
2013-09-19 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4859131

User image

New user
I do like the sauna suggestion but I don't have access this week. Maybe tonight i can steam up the bathroom aand sit there.
2013-09-19 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
If it's allergies, here's the recipe for a tea I have used for about 2 years now and it has always worked (should I make the "individual results may vary" disclaimer?)

1 stick of cinnamon
2-3 bay leaves
2-3 whole cloves
1/2 in of ginger
1 tsp ( or more depending on taste) of raw local honey

Steep in hot water for 2-3 minutes and drink while warm.

I know they're not your everyday ingredients but I was able to find it all at a regular grocery store. Hope you get some relief!

2013-09-19 9:44 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Get a Netipot. Netipot helps me more than anything when I'm having sinus problems.
2013-09-19 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by braciole

if I was doing a shorter distance i might say F it and go with tequila. lol. i just have a feeling that's not ideal under the circumstances.

never heard of oregano oil but i might pick it up if only to put it on my pizza. if i keeps me well to that's a bonus.

i've been improving bit by bit everyday and sleeping well enough, but i'm still not 100%. i had hoped not to take any meds today, but i felt like they would still help and i'm hoping that by taking them early today it'll all be out of my system by saturday.

i stuck with claratin, dayquil, chicken soup (not home made though : ( ) OJ, water, tea, zinc, vit C, and a few occassional hits from my inhaler.

late nights (home at midnight last night) and elevated stress at work are not helping.

wtf i really needed this to just be an easy week coasting into the race. i'm going to be at the office late again tonight and then will be scrambling in the morning to pack up to hit the road for the race.

i could use some good vibes from the collective out there. BT'ers helped me get this far, can y'all help me see this through?

As an fyi, I believe alcohol is NOT a prohibited substance during a triathlon based on the WADA site. But some cold meds may have prohibited substances, not sure.

"""
Alcohol (ethanol) is prohibited In-Competition only, in the following sports. Detection will be conducted by analysis of breath and/or blood. The doping violation threshold (haematological values) is 0.10 g/L.

Aeronautic (FAI)
Archery (FITA)
Automobile (FIA)
Karate (WKF)
Motorcycling (FIM)
Powerboating (UIM)

"""
2013-09-21 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4859132

User image

New user
folks, i did it. Crossed the finish line today in 6:31 on a very challenging hilly course. First HIM.

The last meds I took was on Thursday morning - I took a claritan and some dayquil early in the day. I got home from work about midnigh that night too.

through saturday night i still had awful sinus congeston, so i used Afrin saturday night ans this morning. I hate that stuff b/c it is addicting, but it worked like a charm. cleared me right up. I may have been miserable today without it. Anyway, a great time was had. Perfect way to end the season.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM on Saturday -- Might Have a Cold - No Meds? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

oh noes!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1502 Posts: 3

2010-09-10 8:02 AM bcart1991

noes plugs

Started by roxygirl
Views: 2332 Posts: 14

2008-05-30 2:11 AM intriathlete

How cold is too cold!?

Started by sblack
Views: 932 Posts: 8

2005-04-21 10:41 AM madeye

How cold is too cold?

Started by stevenrh
Views: 1318 Posts: 18

2005-01-15 10:33 PM kausnfxx

Breathing cold air... inducing asthma/ chest cold

Started by TriBarbie
Views: 2210 Posts: 13

2004-11-01 1:01 PM StaceyH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : December 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?
date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!
date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.

date : April 17, 2005
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.