General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-11-04 9:10 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

First training session of the plan for me today.  just a short 1 hour bike (eSpin Bike at the gym) followed by weights.  No running for awhile so that means i will be alternating the bike and the swim with weights in the mix as well. 

2013-11-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: Gitterdone

Originally posted by Gitterdone

Same here...just really trying to get some base work done as well. Getting some good trainer rides in, and some runs. I will admit, I'm lacking motivation right now, and REALLY need to get a swift kick in the boot soon.

Anyone ever have to deal with Extensor Tendonitis? It's been flaring up (again) in my left foot, and really is making me concerned for when I need to start ramping up my run training. And suggestions? I've been icing and doing calf stretches, but not getting anywhere.

Happy Halloween folks!

I don't start ramping up my training until May, so you'll have plenty of time to get healthy. Focus on that first. Don't cheat the process and jump ahead too quickly.
2013-11-06 9:10 AM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

over a barrier
I'm starting to slowly add running back. Basically took 18 months of from running. Not a wise choice. Runs finally stopped hurting but will continue to roll and strengthen the hips/butts to get the ITB issues awayl

I have another 6 weeks left of cyclocross season and then will shift focus. Starting a new masters program in December basically to help lose 15lbs since I normally don't start swimming until Feb/March.
2013-11-06 5:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Green Bay
Dave, how come no running?

Edited by wisconmd 2013-11-06 5:33 PM
2013-11-08 9:01 PM
in reply to: daviddclough

User image

Atlanta
I'm in for my second IM Moo. So here goes:

Tell us a little about yourself
Technology business development for a Finnish company is my profession. I started doing triathlons in 2004. Racing has helped me get weight off and keep it off. I also love being around other like minded people, motivated by their own experiences to achieve something that they never thought they would accomplish

What is your IM/Triathlon Experience?
IM CDA, IM Moo, and IM FLA

Why did you choose IM WI?
Loved the venue and the crowd support

What are you most looking forward to?
Seeing my family during the race cheering me on and hearing those words "you are an Ironman"

What is your planned training strategy?
Build up the endurance over time and enjoy the ride getting to race day.

What tips can you offer to first timers or those who are new to triathlon?
Get your hill training in to prepare yourself for the bike. The concrete on the run was hard on my shins. Be ready for it!
2013-11-10 7:40 PM

User image

West Bend, WI
So, we had beautiful weather here in Wisconsin today and I was looking forward to riding outside. I was scheduled to do a 2 hour ride and I'm wasn't ready to commit to 2 hours on the trainer yet, especially when it's so nice outside. Unfortunately, I was reminded how early it gets dark now. Good thing though, I would have been out in the dark at 4:30 this afternoon. Guess I need to work on getting it done earlier in the day. How is everyone managing the time change?

2013-11-10 8:06 PM
in reply to: JKreuzig

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Hello everyone!!

Tell us a little about yourself:
I am 50, married have 3 grown kids and I own a salon & spa

I have been doing triathalons for 7 years now but I feel like Iam just starting to really learn what I need to know. I attempted IMWI in 2012, when I only made it to mile 85.

Redemption.......and it's only a couple hours from where we live.

Training and seeing how much I can improve. And finally getting to hear that I am an Ironman.

I am doing a 16week bike building program, I am add more running and have got to get back into the pool I haven't swam in forever then I will be following the Iron fit program.

Make sure you are on with your nutrition! And eatting enough calories! This was my mistake the first time around I didn't log my calories and I way under ate and got really sick

I signed up for Racine too, looks like there are a bunch of us doing Racine!
2013-11-11 6:29 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Darkness is definitely the enemy right now.  Set up the trainer and slog out those miles. 

2013-11-12 10:08 AM
in reply to: wisconmd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
I am back at it.. I was out for a week with the stomach flu. Well, I guess you could say I was running. maybe I should have logged my trips to the bathroom.
2013-11-14 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Name is Chris, teacher but currently stay at home dad. 4 kids 1 wife Currently live in Memphis TN. Just convinced my wife to get back in the sport so we'll be doing the New Orleans 70.3 in April. Super excited about that. I'm trying to hit that magic #12 in 2014 and start my bidding for a legacy slot in 2015.

I just finished my 8th Ironman. I'll be doing 4 IMs in 2014 in celebration of my 40th birthday.

It's an iconic IM, and I have a ton of family that live near that location.

All of it. These races are so much fun, most people miss that aspect especially when things start going wrong.

I've already begun training for IMTX so I'm just going to take it one IM at a time and make sure I don't burn out.

Have some freaking fun out there. Only a select few in each age group have a shot at qualifying for Kona. Have fun. Whether your just trying to finish, trying to set a PR, trying to beat a buddy, or trying for Kona, remember that you started this because it is awesome. Don't forget that and have some fun.

Look forward to chatting and meeting all of you. Train safe. Chris
2013-11-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Originally posted by pnelson

Same here...just really trying to get some base work done as well. Getting some good trainer rides in, and some runs. I will admit, I'm lacking motivation right now, and REALLY need to get a swift kick in the boot soon.

Anyone ever have to deal with Extensor Tendonitis? It's been flaring up (again) in my left foot, and really is making me concerned for when I need to start ramping up my run training. And suggestions? I've been icing and doing calf stretches, but not getting anywhere.

Happy Halloween folks!

I don't start ramping up my training until May, so you'll have plenty of time to get healthy. Focus on that first. Don't cheat the process and jump ahead too quickly.

I appreciate the feedback, thank you!!!!

2013-11-18 3:35 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

My name is Ryan, I'm an ICU physician north of the Twin Cities. Married to a pediatrician who is the most beautiful woman in the world, and we have three girls ages 10, 7, 5. Trying to get the kids into the tri life. Oldest daughter is now in her second season of swim team, and she did her first kids tri last year, then did two this summer. Younger two also did swim team over the summer.

Started triathlon as a way to get back into shape in 2011. 2012 I did two HIMs and tried to do a marathon, but had to DNF due to IT band issues. Spent a lot of time that year trying to recover from various nagging injuries (foot issue, IT band, achilles tendonitis), so decided to just take it easy this summer with Olympics only. Early season fitness was good, but lost rapidly over the summer with partying and weight gain. Decided it was time to pull the trigger on IM and see if i can't get back to a good/great level of fitness and see what happens

It's obviously the closest IM to MN, and I couldn't convince the wife to let me do IMAZ where the rest of the family lives, or IMCOZ where we've vacationed...

The start...the sunrise the calm in the water, the crowd on the Terrace; then the cannon and the pandamonium

and the finish.. Hearing Mike Riley call my name has been a dream of mine since the first time I saw the NBC Kona special, maybe 10 years ago(?15)

Cycle through the sport-specific winter maintenance plans and do Jorge's winter plan beginning after the new year. Also considering joining LTF masters swim as I did last winter (except I'll actually go this time...Really!!)   I'll then role into the intermediate IM 20 week plan in April.

Soak it in, enjoy the scene, and remember that this is fun!

2013-11-20 8:19 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Originally posted by wisconmd Dave, how come no running?

Had some issues in my left foot.  there was a possible stress fracture, slight posterier tibialus tendonitis, and some plantar as well.  attempted the fall 50 on the 26th of October and got thru 26 miles (sucked as thru 23 i was at 759 pace and feeling great!  then foot said we were done).  Saw a foot doc and that was his diagnosis, gave me two cortisone shots, one in the heal and one on the top of the foot at the possible stress fracture sight.  3 weeks later and running again, shorter miles and only every other day for a few weeks.

2013-11-24 7:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Morton IL
I signed up the day after and started un-official training last week.

ABOUT MYSELF: 36 married with 1 son. I was overweight and on some pills so I decided to get in shape. Since I was training all the time I started doing races both runs and tris. I like doing the tris, runs, and time trials. During the summer I schedule stuff around my son.... Sometimes I run to his baseball games, and find other ways to get work in while not missing his activities.

TRI EXPERIENCE: Havent done an Ironman, this will be my first. I started in 2012 with a 10K, dualthon, and a 5K. In 2013 I raced a few sprints (even placed a couple times), and a 703.

Why IMWI? It is fairly close to me, maybe 6 hour drive. Many members of my tri club are going so there is a ton of support and many training partners. My wife and mother both like the idea of coming to Madison with me which is a big bonus!

LOOKING FORWARD TO: Training with friends. Hearing my name called out at the finish! If I beat team mates in I am looking forward to hanging around and watching them come in... If they are all in before me I will be looking forward to seeing them at the finish along with my family. Already looking forward to Post IM time off!

TRAINING: I am currently doing trainer road for bike training, and swimming twice a week. I run a few days a week and will ramp up to another marathon which is in April. After the marathon I plan to rest 1 week and start following an Ironman ramp up plan.

TIPS ON SPORT: Plan your nutrition and do a couple practice runs. Sounds simple... I know people that that didnt finish a race because of a major bonk. Also know many that did but walked the run and/or had a major bonk. Before my 70.3 I mapped out how much I wanted to eat on the bike & how many gels bike & run. I did to trial runs not full distance or race pace but pretty long. Longest was 55 miles on bike + 10 mile run. I used the race day plan and was ready come race day!

Edited by Paulford8 2013-11-24 7:21 PM
2013-12-03 8:29 PM
in reply to: Paulford8

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Looks like everyone is moving along very nicely!  Keep up the good work everyone.  Going into winter here are a few words of advice.  Don't be overdoing anything right now!  Train smart and take breaks when you need them right now.  Because once you get into those base/building sessions it's going to become very taxing!

Also plan and practice that run nutrition! 

Remember as well to just keep moving forward.  It's going to be one of the greatest feelings in your' life when you go across that finish line folks!  Cherish it!

2013-12-04 10:25 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Had my first official workout yesterday for IMWI, woo hoo!! Double - 1hour workout on the bike, then a 1600 swim.

Do we have a thread where we can bounce around our workouts throughout this training season?, or is that forum right here?

2013-12-05 6:56 AM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Does anyone know when WiBA will be held this year? Anyone planning on attending?

2013-12-12 3:44 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

New user
Green Bay
So, I'm looking to plan long range for next year...

Any particular dates next summer that stand out for this group? High Cliff? Door County Tri? Madison open water swim?

The sooner I get my requests for time off for next year the better.

thanks!

Mike
2013-12-12 4:10 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by wisconmd So, I'm looking to plan long range for next year... Any particular dates next summer that stand out for this group? High Cliff? Door County Tri? Madison open water swim? The sooner I get my requests for time off for next year the better. thanks! Mike

I am certain MOWS will be on my schedule along with a ride of a couple of loops on that same day.  Can't really beat the timing of MOWS and how it fits perfectly  with the the peak of IM training.  If I do a HIM this year, it would definitely be Door County because I know a lot of people who are racing that week and they will certainly apply the peer pressure to me.  And I am weak and will cave in like a bad pie.

2013-12-12 9:27 PM

User image

West Bend, WI
Originally posted by wisconmd

So, I'm looking to plan long range for next year...

Any particular dates next summer that stand out for this group? High Cliff? Door County Tri? Madison open water swim?

The sooner I get my requests for time off for next year the better.

thanks!

Mike

I'm definitely doing the Madison OWS with at least one loop that day; also looking at Rev 3 (moved to end of June), Racine, and a few shorter races mixed in along the way.
2013-12-13 8:29 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Originally posted by sbsmann

Originally posted by wisconmd So, I'm looking to plan long range for next year... Any particular dates next summer that stand out for this group? High Cliff? Door County Tri? Madison open water swim? The sooner I get my requests for time off for next year the better. thanks! Mike

I am certain MOWS will be on my schedule along with a ride of a couple of loops on that same day.  Can't really beat the timing of MOWS and how it fits perfectly  with the the peak of IM training.  If I do a HIM this year, it would definitely be Door County because I know a lot of people who are racing that week and they will certainly apply the peer pressure to me.  And I am weak and will cave in like a bad pie.

Okay, help me here. What is MOWS??? Sounds Madisonish....considering you are planning on a couple loops along with it. Any info on that would be fantastic.

Otherwise, I'm planning on Door County Half, again (good to be back home), and I'm eye balling an OWS in the UP of Michigan, which is a 2.5 mile swim across this lake....featuring a US Olympic swimming, Vanderkaye. It's some Charity Event for Diabetes I believe, but this guy swam it last year in 48 minutes. It would be cool to draft off of him, for a few seconds at least. That is the last weekend in July from what I found.

Otherewise, nothing but training, and getting to Madtown for hopefully many recon rides on the IMOO course.

2013-12-13 8:44 AM
in reply to: Gitterdone

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Okay, help me here. What is MOWS??? Sounds Madisonish....considering you are planning on a couple loops along with it. Any info on that would be fantastic. Otherwise, I'm planning on Door County Half, again (good to be back home), and I'm eye balling an OWS in the UP of Michigan, which is a 2.5 mile swim across this lake....featuring a US Olympic swimming, Vanderkaye. It's some Charity Event for Diabetes I believe, but this guy swam it last year in 48 minutes. It would be cool to draft off of him, for a few seconds at least. That is the last weekend in July from what I found. Otherewise, nothing but training, and getting to Madtown for hopefully many recon rides on the IMOO course.

Shad,

When you say a 2.5 mile swim across the lake in the UP are you talking about Lake Michigan or Superior?  That sounds pretty cool and challenging and would make MOWS look like a joke. However, MOWS is Madison Open Water Swim & it is put on by Wisconsin Master's swimming.  It is a replica of the Ironman Swim course in Lake Monona and is a chip timed event.  It's a great prep for Ironman because it mimicks everything about the IM swim including mass start (although not quite as many people as IM).  I would highly recommend it and we could get a donkey caravan heading out there in August.  I don't see anything on the exact date yet online, but I would guess it will be either 8/16 or 8/23.  Here is the link the year I did it.

2013-12-13 8:50 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Most of my other races are going to be in MN.

Almanzo 100
Buffalo Tri - Sprint
Liberty Tri - Olympic
Red, White, and Boom Half Marathon
Duluth tri - 70.3
2013-12-13 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin

Okay, help me here. What is MOWS??? Sounds Madisonish....considering you are planning on a couple loops along with it. Any info on that would be fantastic. Otherwise, I'm planning on Door County Half, again (good to be back home), and I'm eye balling an OWS in the UP of Michigan, which is a 2.5 mile swim across this lake....featuring a US Olympic swimming, Vanderkaye. It's some Charity Event for Diabetes I believe, but this guy swam it last year in 48 minutes. It would be cool to draft off of him, for a few seconds at least. That is the last weekend in July from what I found. Otherewise, nothing but training, and getting to Madtown for hopefully many recon rides on the IMOO course.

Shad,

When you say a 2.5 mile swim across the lake in the UP are you talking about Lake Michigan or Superior?  That sounds pretty cool and challenging and would make MOWS look like a joke. However, MOWS is Madison Open Water Swim & it is put on by Wisconsin Master's swimming.  It is a replica of the Ironman Swim course in Lake Monona and is a chip timed event.  It's a great prep for Ironman because it mimicks everything about the IM swim including mass start (although not quite as many people as IM).  I would highly recommend it and we could get a donkey caravan heading out there in August.  I don't see anything on the exact date yet online, but I would guess it will be either 8/16 or 8/23.  Here is the link the year I did it.

Thank you for the info SS, looks like a 'must do' opportunity.

Here is the link for the other swim. I stand corrected, it's 2.25 miles. It is a local inland lake, not a great lake, so even more appealing. http://teallakeswim.com/

2013-12-13 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

I"ll be at MOWS as well. My club does a training weekend up in Madison during that time. I think it's 2 loops on Fri, MOWS on Sat, 1 loop run on Sun (I think). There might be another bike in there. Not sure.

I'll also be at Racine.

Melissa

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 66206 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
Views: 101159 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
Views: 133599 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
Views: 131596 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
Views: 103820 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.