General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-12-16 10:38 AM
in reply to: doxie

User image

New user
Kenosha
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by doxie

I"ll be at MOWS as well. My club does a training weekend up in Madison during that time. I think it's 2 loops on Fri, MOWS on Sat, 1 loop run on Sun (I think). There might be another bike in there. Not sure.

I'll also be at Racine.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

When you get the details from your club, would you mind sharing? Gordon_mom and I would be interested in joining the fun that weekend (we'd be willing to pay for the support).

We'll be at Racine and the REV 3 1/2 distance. I'm doing nationals in August, as well.

Cyndi

2013-12-17 3:18 PM
in reply to: daviddclough

User image

Normal, IL
Jumping on the bandwagon a bit late...

Tell us a little about yourself
This will be my first Ironman.
Married…three daughters, 14, 12, 9. (Yup…starting to get interesting in our house!). Played sports growing up, baseball, hockey, soccer.…always been athletic. Played and coached college hockey then went into the real world after getting married. Started to run to get back into shape and did marathons (Chicago twice). Watched IM Kona on NBC (roughly 10 years ago) and was totally intrigued by it…from that point on my goal has been to do and be an Ironman.

What is your IM/Triathlon Experience?
Several Sprints, 1 Olympic and one ½ Rev 3 (Dells 2013).

Why did you choose IM WI?
Grew up in Madison…parents still live in the area. No better place that I could think of to become an Ironman in front of family and friends! Plus…as someone else mentioned earlier…no hotel costs and can have home cooked meals!

What are you most looking forward to?
Besides racing in front of family and friends…The Journey. One of my favorite quotes and that is on my blog that I set up for this adventure is…"All you've done for 9 months is build a vehicle. Ironman racing is about how you DRIVE that vehicle. It is not about the vehicle."

What tips can you offer to first timers or those who are new to triathlon?
With me being a first timer I can’t give tips….i look to those that have done IM’s previously to give us tips.
2013-12-22 11:38 AM
in reply to: JMussey17

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
Hello everyone!

We have a winter wonderland outside here in Madison, and I am heading out to do some snowshoeing.

ABOUT MYSELF: I am 46 had to stop and think about that one. I am married and we have 4 cats and no children. I am a Social Worker and enjoy my job a lot. I am very fortunate to have a supportive husband for all that I do. I did my first Ironman in 2009 and that was IMWI, and I have been hooked on the longer distance racing every since.

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: Since 2009, I have been doing 2 and 3 Ironman a year. IMWI will be my 12th Ironman. I have done IMWI before. a few 70.3's, 2- Olympic Distance and 1 relay sprint, bunch of running and biking races. I am doing my first Snow Shoe race in January and am excited about that.
WHY IMWI: I live in Madison. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I am happy to answer or help out. I enjoy hills. The volunteers and crowd support are the best of any Ironman I have ever done. I like a race with a one loop swim, and the mass start is fantastic.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: The start. It never gets old starting any race but especially an Ironman. It is the unknown of the day, the pain, the cheers, the smiles, having a fun time, and crossing the finish line that makes Ironman so much fun.

TRAINING STRATEGY: I just raced in Cozumel my 3rd Ironman this year, so December is recovery month. I race IMTX in May, so I will be building for that starting in January. I just follow the plan from my Coach.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT:
Listen to your body. If you are truly tired and not just being lazy take the day off. Rest is part of training.
It is ok to miss a work out here and there. It happens let it go and do not try to make it up by cramming it in with another workout.
Do not compare your training to anyone else's. We all have different goals and start from different place with our level of fitness.
Get your nutrition dialed in and stick to it race day.
Learn to change a tire and practice it regularly.
Do not ignore pain. You know your body, and if you think you are hurt go see a doctor. Denial is not a good strategy. A few days off is better than blowing your entire season
No one is intentionally hitting you during the swim.
Be consistent with your training.
Never forget your beginners spirit.

2013-12-22 5:23 PM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Expert
Western WI
Tell us a little about yourself :
Hi! I'm 32 and this will be my 6th year of long distance tris. Full time job, no kids - perfect time to train long

What is your IM/Triathlon Experience?
I've done IMWI three times and IMLou once. This year I'm doing WI with my DAD!! (how cool is that? It will be his first - I'm more excited for him then for me!) Im also registered for IMAZ 2014 so it's going to be my first 2 IM year.

Why did you choose IM WI?
I love WI - the course, the CROWDS (best around!), it's close enough that I can get down to ride the course a few times before the race..

What are you most looking forward to?
Spending the spring and summer training with my dad. I feel so lucky to have an active and adventurous dad!

What is your planned training strategy?
Because it's a two IM year, I'm going with a coach for the first time. It'll be a new adventure for me! I'm going to get to the course at LEAST three times - hopefully more like 6.

What tips can you offer to first timers or those who are new to triathlon?
Be consistent but also roll with the training. As others have said, you will probably miss workouts, it happens, don't stress too much about it unless it becomes a regular thing. And don't be afraid to switch training days - the plan is not concrete, it's important you do the workouts, but if life happens and you need to ride long on Sat instead of Sunday, that's OK. Ride on hills AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE so you're used to it and can come of the bike with fresh legs. HAVE FUN and get training partners - 5-7 hours is a lot of time to spend on a bike alone, but it FLIES by with buddies! When the workout gets tough think of Mike Reilly calling your name and telling you that YOU. ARE. AN IRONMAN! Enjoy the journey - it's going to get tough, but the tough is what makes it SO SWEET at the end

feel free to PM me with any questions - HAVE FUN training!!!

2013-12-24 6:00 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by Buckshot

Does anyone know when WiBA will be held this year? Anyone planning on attending?

Anyone in Madison have any idea yet? I am planning on attending and trying to finish up my race / training calendar. Thanks.

2013-12-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

Hello!

Happy New Year 2014 to everyone. Shortly we can all say we are doing an IM this year. The big day is ever so slightly inching closer. I hope everyone has settled into a comfortable training routine.

My training has been extremely interrupted since September with injury recovery and starting chemo. March can't get here soon enough when chemo will be done. I'm doing what I can to muscle through these months and keep some fitness going.

I'm curious what training plan people have settled on? Beyond that, I wonder if any one plan really is superior to another or is the benefit from structure and something to guide one weekly? I think I will make a concerted effort to follow Fink's Competitive Plan this year. I have a hard time sticking to plans and end up winging it. I would like to have more structure this year. So....is there any consensus on a printed plan that people have had success with?

Thanks!

2014-01-06 1:18 PM

User image

Wisconsin
Happy New Year everyone! I've been reading the posts since it started but I couldn't officially add to it until the new year for some weird mental reason but... it is officially the year of my first IM!

About myself: I'm very excited and nervous about this race! I'm 41, married, have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

IM/Tri experience: I've been doing tri's now for about 5 years. Started working my way up from the sprint, oly, 70.3, tossed in a few marathons to get that feel and now this! To me it was helpful to build and grow with the sport. I've learned so much along the way it's crazy! This year other than a few small local races I am doing Racine and the Dells 70.3.

Why IMWI: Only a few hours from home so the drive the day after won't be killer. Volunteered in T1 and T2 last year and have to say it was an amazing experience. Really an organized group of people volunteering so much time and energy. Saw the other side of this race which was a great way to know where you need to be and things that you may not have thought of that will be helpful come race day.

Looking forward to: I'm most looking forward to seeing that finishline and knowing that all of the hard work has brought me to that exact point. That I actually did it! You only get one first Ironman!

Training Strategy: I have a coach and leave most of it to him. We work on nutrition throughout our training so I know what works.

Tips on the sport: Random tips: check your bike brake race morning to make sure it's not rubbing, when you take off your wetsuit (or have it taken off) make sure you have your timing chip and always thank the volunteers! Get massages monthly at least!!!!! Serious tips: Be consistent, commited and determined. Believe in yourself and your training.

Looking forward to meeting you all and learning from your experiences along the way.

Amy
2014-01-08 7:31 AM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by cynner

I"ll be at MOWS as well. My club does a training weekend up in Madison during that time. I think it's 2 loops on Fri, MOWS on Sat, 1 loop run on Sun (I think). There might be another bike in there. Not sure.

I'll also be at Racine.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

When you get the details from your club, would you mind sharing? Gordon_mom and I would be interested in joining the fun that weekend (we'd be willing to pay for the support).

We'll be at Racine and the REV 3 1/2 distance. I'm doing nationals in August, as well.

Cyndi

Can you count me in on this too? I am also doing Racine
2014-01-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I see a few of you are looking for a "group ride" for the IM course.  I was looking for one too last year and wasn't able to attend any of them.  Here's my advice.  Just go park in Verona at the fireman's park and head out on your' bike on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  There will be PLENTY of other people doing the same throughout the morning.  Print yourself out a map and keep it in a pocket if you get lost but that is VERY hard to do.  The course is very well marked and as long as you studied the map a little bit before hand you will not get lost.  It is very well marked with spray paint on the ground when you are coming up to turns and such.  Ride the loop once or twice.  The ride from Verona back to Madison isn't too difficult as far as getting lost is concerned either.  I only rode about 8 miles of the stick during training rides.  There are a couple hills on that one that suck after cycling 90 miles!

In general the majority of the folks on the course are very friendly and don't be afraid to ask questions.  I'm very jealous all of you are getting to do IMWI this year.  I'll be there next year!

2014-01-14 2:24 PM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Originally posted by Bevie

I see a few of you are looking for a "group ride" for the IM course.  I was looking for one too last year and wasn't able to attend any of them.  Here's my advice.  Just go park in Verona at the fireman's park and head out on your' bike on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  There will be PLENTY of other people doing the same throughout the morning.  Print yourself out a map and keep it in a pocket if you get lost but that is VERY hard to do.  The course is very well marked and as long as you studied the map a little bit before hand you will not get lost.  It is very well marked with spray paint on the ground when you are coming up to turns and such.  Ride the loop once or twice.  The ride from Verona back to Madison isn't too difficult as far as getting lost is concerned either.  I only rode about 8 miles of the stick during training rides.  There are a couple hills on that one that suck after cycling 90 miles!

In general the majority of the folks on the course are very friendly and don't be afraid to ask questions.  I'm very jealous all of you are getting to do IMWI this year.  I'll be there next year!

Last year the wind was blowing 20mph from the east as we headed back into Madison. That and the hills almost brought me to a standstill. A guy yelled at me because I was drafting, "Hey, why are you drafting?" I'm like, "I'm frickin' tired." :D I wasn't passing anyone for sure.... just holding on for my life.
2014-01-14 3:00 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Regular
Chicago

Originally posted by cynner

I'll also be at Racine.

Melissa

Hi Melissa, When you get the details from your club, would you mind sharing? Gordon_mom and I would be interested in joining the fun that weekend (we'd be willing to pay for the support). We'll be at Racine and the REV 3 1/2 distance. I'm doing nationals in August, as well. Cyndi

I just saw this!

I'll know more toward the end of March and I"ll fill you in then.  It's no problem to have others join in, the club will set a fee for the weekend support it provides.

-M

2014-01-15 4:44 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

over a barrier
Looks like my schedule is starting to come together.

Signed up:
Galena Sprint
Pigman Sprint
Steelhead
IMOO

Considering:
Tour of Galena - Bike racing
Tour of Lawerence - Bike racing
Sugar Bottom - Xterra Tri
Pleasant Prairie - Sprint
Door County - Half. Will decide later and grab a transfer

Could be away every weekend if I'm not careful

2014-01-16 6:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Originally posted by running2far

Looks like my schedule is starting to come together.

Signed up:
Galena Sprint
Pigman Sprint
Steelhead
IMOO

Considering:
Tour of Galena - Bike racing
Tour of Lawerence - Bike racing
Sugar Bottom - Xterra Tri
Pleasant Prairie - Sprint
Door County - Half. Will decide later and grab a transfer

Could be away every weekend if I'm not careful

Wow, that's a full schedule! I'd forget where I'm going every weekend. Galena area must be hilly....beautiful country over there.

Edited by Gitterdone 2014-01-16 6:11 AM
2014-01-24 7:23 AM

User image

Normal, IL
The date has been set for the 2014 Wisconsin Brick Adventure (WIBA) ....August 1-3. Registration is open as well.

http://www.wisconsinbrickadventure.com/
2014-01-24 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Originally posted by JMussey17

The date has been set for the 2014 Wisconsin Brick Adventure (WIBA) ....August 1-3. Registration is open as well.

Wow! Great event! Thanks for posting!
2014-01-24 8:21 AM

User image

New user
Kenosha

Thank you so much for posting! AWESOME!!!!!

Cyndi

2014-01-27 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am just jumping into the group, if you all don't mind. I registered online at the opening of IMWI a couple of week as after the 2013 race.

About me: I am a 44 year old Line Crew Supervisor with a major electric utility in Indiana and have been in line work for 27 years. I have been married for 26 years and we have 2 great daughters aged 20 and 18. The youngest of which will be graduating this year.

Triathlon Experience: I began triathlon after knee injury training for my first marathon. My PT suggested I begin to swim and ride to help cross train and BAMM!! My triathlon adventure began. Since I began I have completed several of each distance with exception of the full Iron. IMWI will be my first shot at the full distance foolishness called Ironman

Why Ironman WI?: This race is as close to home as I could get and be an IM branded race..........for the tat to come following my hopeful finish. The people I train with all have said great things about this particular race and I want to make sure this endeavor is memorable and motivating, and from what I hear, the crowd support is phenomenal.

Training Strategy: Have as large a base to work from come kickoff time for my plan. The only missing piece of this would be my running. I have been fighting the rehab of a knee injury suffered running a HM in Sept that would have set a solid PR for me but 8 miles in I suffered from the old meniscus tear that occasionally haunts me. Currently I am only running 6-9 MPW but I am getting back into the swing on a very slow basis.

My IM goal: To finish with a solid time and with enough left in the tank to really enjoy the finish. This could be a challenge for me since I hold myself to a fairly high standard of personal effort. During some of my other endurance events I have suffered from total fatigue (to the point I was unable to enjoy the accomplishment) to heat related stress that landed me in the med tent for my first HIM

Finally, I'll try to catch up on the reading of the past few pages of post from all of you and then get involved in the conversation.

2014-01-31 6:51 PM
in reply to: DirkP

February 1, 2014 is my official start of IMWI training!!! Tomorrow will be a long swim and an hour or so on the KK, probably one of the Spinnervals dvds.

Yikes. Not sure I have the energy to do this.
2014-02-03 3:14 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by sthoresen

February 1, 2014 is my official start of IMWI training!!! Tomorrow will be a long swim and an hour or so on the KK, probably one of the Spinnervals dvds.

Yikes. Not sure I have the energy to do this.

So how have the first couple days gone?
2014-02-03 3:23 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
My first month has gone well. You?
2014-02-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Wow, I'm feeling like a slacker with ya'll starting your plans already. Perhaps a 20 week plan is not the right way to go about it. Cue....The Nervous Reaction.

2014-02-04 1:26 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Normal, IL
Glad to hear your first month went well. Impressive you’re doing 4 IM’s this year. IMTX is coming up quick. My official training plan doesn’t start till next week, but been ramping up from my winter maintenance from the past couple…going to be fun!
2014-02-04 1:34 PM
in reply to: Gitterdone

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Gitterdone

Wow, I'm feeling like a slacker with ya'll starting your plans already. Perhaps a 20 week plan is not the right way to go about it. Cue....The Nervous Reaction.

No matter what I do I always have that nervous reaction when I see someone else's plan. I've learned to just trust the plan, but I still worry
2014-02-04 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Glad to hear your first month went well. Impressive you’re doing 4 IM’s this year. IMTX is coming up quick. My official training plan doesn’t start till next week, but been ramping up from my winter maintenance from the past couple…going to be fun!

I was making a run at a legacy slot for 2015 and trying to do something different for my 40th birthday. We just found out that we're able to move to Italy early so the legacy slot will have to wait. I will get the chance to add some more out of the US races though.
2014-02-10 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
For those of you working off of Don Fink's 'Be Iron Fit' plan, everything kicks off today. Tomorrow is a pool workout and a 30 minute run. The wakeup temp is forecasted at -11F. I sure hope I don't freeze off anything I'm going to need later.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 66083 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
Views: 101048 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
Views: 133480 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
Views: 131482 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
Views: 103722 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.