General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2014-02-10 12:01 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

New user
Kenosha
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by Farlig

For those of you working off of Don Fink's 'Be Iron Fit' plan, everything kicks off today. Tomorrow is a pool workout and a 30 minute run. The wakeup temp is forecasted at -11F. I sure hope I don't freeze off anything I'm going to need later.

This winter has been brutal on the training schedule! The good news is that we are in for a warm-up. Amazing how we consider mid-30's to be warm! But I'll take it! I haven't done a training run outside since Thanksgiving. The treadmill and I have become a little too close this winter.

2014-02-12 8:40 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by papson14

My first month has gone well. You?

Everything is going great. I had a bit of a head cold that forced me to take a day off on Monday, but aside from that I have been getting in all my scheduled workouts.
2014-02-12 9:12 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

over a barrier
Rock n' rolling myself. I'm slowing getting speed back in my legs after basically taking 18 months off of running. Trying not to run to 'old me' speeds but running at current fitness.

Its going to be above freezing next week and I can't wait to take the bike out or go for some runs.
2014-02-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Car thermometer said 44 degrees today! That almost felt, dare I say it, warm?

Counting the days until I can start riding the bike course. Soon enough. Soon enough.
2014-03-06 10:45 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
Does anyone have a good hotel recommendation? Looked at IMWI Block of hotels? What is decent quality, short distance to event, location of other amenities, price? How is parking at event?

Thanks,
Kurt
2014-03-06 10:54 AM
in reply to: kweezen

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by kweezen

Does anyone have a good hotel recommendation? Looked at IMWI Block of hotels? What is decent quality, short distance to event, location of other amenities, price? How is parking at event?

Thanks,
Kurt

We are staying at the Best Western on the Park. But I have heard that anything near the event location is now requiring a 5 night stay. Just heard that someone who is staying near the event paid $1500 for the 5 nights.

Folks on the FB page are recommending the Hampton Inn on the West side. Someone also mentioned possibly staying in Middleton (only 10 minutes or so from the event).

Someone also booked a house for $300 for the week on airbnb.com

Cyndi

2014-03-06 11:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Another option is to bring your camper or pitch a tent for $62 a night at Lake Farm Park.   https://www.countyofdane.com/lwrd/parks/lake_farm.aspx    I just checked and there are still sites available.  It's  about 4 miles from Monona Terrace along the bike path.  It's a clean county park with a nice bathhouse.   It'll have a fun atmosphere come race weekend with either IM participants, volunteers or Badger fans there for the football game.  

Edited by bswcpa 2014-03-06 11:28 AM
2014-03-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Middleton is a good option if you want to save on a hotel room and don't mind a little bit of driving. You can save $100+ per night over the downtown hotels. My wife and I stayed in this area in 2010. The driving and parking was a bit of a chore, but it was worth it for the money saved. Parking can be found for a reasonable fee within a mile of Monona Terrace, but you have to get there early on Sunday. You can also catch a shuttle from the Alliant Energy Center throughout race day. Some Middleton hotels also offered shuttle service to Alliant on Sunday

In 2012 I stayed at the Madison Concourse, which is just across the capital grounds from Monona Terrace. It was excellent to park the car for the whole weekend and have everything I needed within walking distance. Plus, since my wife couldn't make it to the race that year, I just hobbled back to the hotel room after the race, took a shower and returned back to the party at the finish line.

For this year, I managed to reserve a 3-night stay at the Concourse for $229/night while waiting in line at registration last September. In the IM block, both the Hilton and Best Western required 4-night stays. Both of their websites indicate that they're sold out that weekend. But, you never know what might open up later.

So, if you want to be close to the action for the whole weekend or don't have a spouse or buddy to drive you back to the hotel, I highly recommend spending extra for a room downtown.

If you don't mind the drive, and have a race day Sherpa, save your cash and spend it on some celebratory fish and chips at Brocach.
2014-03-14 4:51 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Farlig, I just reserved a room at the Concourse for ~$290/night for a double queen. I surprised they still had anything. Thanks for the tip!

2014-03-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
My wife and I, along with some incredible friends will be at Lake Farm....our usual location. Quiet and away from the action...wouldn't have it any other way!
2014-03-25 11:16 AM
in reply to: Gitterdone

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I made my reservations at Lake Farm yesterday. Camping will be our way to keep the already high costs from going over the top.

Secondly, I'll be having knee surgery in one week. I believe I'll be having yet another piece of meniscus removed from my left knee and I'll be sidelined for 4 weeks from running following the surgery. Swim and bike training are on track and actually probably above what I thought they might be at this point in my training, so those aspects of my preparation look very good right now. I'll take the surgery in stride (as much as possible) and keep on rolling.

2014-03-25 12:23 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

New user
Kenosha
Good luck with your surgery! Glad to hear that you can still swim and bike. Let us know how it goes!

Cyndi
2014-03-26 11:28 AM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Thanks!  Only a few days before I get to see what our couch looks like for longer than I would like too.  I'm ready to get it done and over with!

More good news related to my IM training;  My coach told me this morning that, based on last night's long swims (2000, 1000 and 1000 w/paddles) that he thinks I may be able to get my swim on race day done in an hour or just over.  That would be almost 10 minutes faster than I would have imagined.  Obviously there is a lot of time before race day and race day itself will show for what I really can do rather than what someone thinks I can do.  Moral: Don't count your chickens........

2014-04-01 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by DirkP

Thanks!  Only a few days before I get to see what our couch looks like for longer than I would like too.  I'm ready to get it done and over with!

More good news related to my IM training;  My coach told me this morning that, based on last night's long swims (2000, 1000 and 1000 w/paddles) that he thinks I may be able to get my swim on race day done in an hour or just over.  That would be almost 10 minutes faster than I would have imagined.  Obviously there is a lot of time before race day and race day itself will show for what I really can do rather than what someone thinks I can do.  Moral: Don't count your chickens........

If I found a magic lamp and a genie I couldn't get my swim done in an hour. Congrats. Personally, my swim goals are (a) make the cutoff, (b) under 2:00, and (c) under 1:45. If I see 90 minutes I'll be happy as an otter with a clam on my tummy (though decidedly slower).
2014-04-13 12:02 PM

Hooray for, dare I say it, SPRING! The snow is 99% melted. I thought winter would never end. Went for a slow 9.75 mile hilly run in perfect conditions. Temp was around 44 degrees F, cloudy and slight wind. Perfect for shorts, a warm top and headband to keep my forehead and ears warm There is much to be done between now and September but I'll take this small victory.

Swimming is going great.

Biking is all KK at this point. Probably won't get outside until next month.
2014-04-14 7:51 AM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Originally posted by sthoresen

Hooray for, dare I say it, SPRING! The snow is 99% melted. I thought winter would never end. Went for a slow 9.75 mile hilly run in perfect conditions. Temp was around 44 degrees F, cloudy and slight wind. Perfect for shorts, a warm top and headband to keep my forehead and ears warm There is much to be done between now and September but I'll take this small victory.

Swimming is going great.

Biking is all KK at this point. Probably won't get outside until next month.

• ...as it's snowing out the window currently....argh!

• But yes, I agree. Yesterday was a great day for a run, and surprisingly spriteful one I might add! Looks like a wet week ahead......but, as my plan officially kicks off on 4/22, I will be taking this week to collect myself one last time. Why am I so darn anxious to start my plan?

2014-04-14 12:43 PM
    in reply to: Gitterdone

User image

Master
    Fort Wayne

I got outdoors for my first ride of the season yesterday and it was a doozy.  It was slightly breezy with sustained winds of 22-24 and gusts to 31MPH according to the national weather service.  I was still able to manage a ride with a 20.3 average speed over 50+ miles.  Now, before any assumes I should be riding in the Tour this year, I was riding with some of the best cycists in the area including a national champion time trialist for his AG.  the winds were out of the SSW and we were headed due south and then west for the first 25 miles and we were holding 18-20 MPH speeds throughout this first half.  The turn back north brought speeds of the upper 20's and low 30's.  Man I love that feeling!!!

Anyway, we had a quite a group of riders so we could all take turns pulling.  Although this was slightly above the threshold (85% FTP) I was supposed to be riding since my 2 week old knee surgery, it was fun and my knee seemed to experience no ill effects from riding at this intensity.  It was a heck of ride and an equally hard one at that.

2014-04-17 6:26 AM

Wow, that sounds like a great ride, Dirk! Outdoor riding in my area probably won't happen anytime soon since it's pretty cold (at least for this gal).

It's back to winter. Snow, rain, clouds, dreary wetness have descended again. Hopefully this is winter's last gasp until November.

Plan to run six on the mill this morning and try and get to yoga tonight.
    2014-04-22 4:13 PM
    in reply to: sthoresen

@sthoresen - Have you been able to leave your house or your driveway yet? Look on the bright side, at least you have three more months of quality cross-country skiing.

Has anyone else been able to ride the loop yet this year? I rode my first two weeks ago and my second on Saturday. Roads are in good shape overall. Whalen has some pretty cracked and broken pavement, but not really much different than last year. Hwy. 78 in downtown Mt. Horeb has longitudinal cracks like last year. They're as wide as a bike tire, so be careful not to cross back and forth across them. Stagecoach is also cracked and annoying, but the but no gaps. Other than that, there is a little sand on the outsides of a few lanes, both nothing really on the corners. They did resurface lanes in both directions on Garfoot just after the steep downhill and forest, so that's good. Not any other road work since fall. Most of the course is in good shape, except for parts on Whalen.

Hope everyone's training is going well and the warming temperatures are warming your spirits...and the snow on your driveways if you're in Minnesota or North Dakota.

-Peter
    2014-04-25 11:52 AM
    in reply to: pnelson

User image

Saint Paul, MN
    Originally posted by pnelson

@sthoresen - Have you been able to leave your house or your driveway yet? Look on the bright side, at least you have three more months of quality cross-country skiing.

Has anyone else been able to ride the loop yet this year? I rode my first two weeks ago and my second on Saturday. Roads are in good shape overall. Whalen has some pretty cracked and broken pavement, but not really much different than last year. Hwy. 78 in downtown Mt. Horeb has longitudinal cracks like last year. They're as wide as a bike tire, so be careful not to cross back and forth across them. Stagecoach is also cracked and annoying, but the but no gaps. Other than that, there is a little sand on the outsides of a few lanes, both nothing really on the corners. They did resurface lanes in both directions on Garfoot just after the steep downhill and forest, so that's good. Not any other road work since fall. Most of the course is in good shape, except for parts on Whalen.

Hope everyone's training is going well and the warming temperatures are warming your spirits...and the snow on your driveways if you're in Minnesota or North Dakota.

-Peter

I rode it about 3 weeks ago and had similar observations.
    2014-04-26 7:34 PM
    in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Veteran
    Illinois
    Just finished my first trip out for the Verona loop. Stagecoach might as well be cobbles, but everything else was decent and I didn't really have any other problems. Had a nice ride - looking forward to memorizing the course.

2014-04-27 1:08 AM
    in reply to: daviddclough

User image

Veteran
    Maple Grove

Since this is wetsuit legal, do people do full changes after the swim into bicycling (bib shorts, jersey), then running gear for each segment, or just go with a one piece tri suit for the whole thing and deal with sweating through the same smelly kit for 10-16 hours? I'm on the fence at this point, but probably could be convinced to err on the side of comfort, even if it costs me 3-4 minutes in transition time.

2014-04-27 12:48 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
    Originally posted by rdailey1

Since this is wetsuit legal, do people do full changes after the swim into bicycling (bib shorts, jersey), then running gear for each segment, or just go with a one piece tri suit for the whole thing and deal with sweating through the same smelly kit for 10-16 hours? I'm on the fence at this point, but probably could be convinced to err on the side of comfort, even if it costs me 3-4 minutes in transition time.

I wear a 2-piece tri kit all day, starting with under my wetsuit. Trying to put on shorts and a jersey coming out of the swim is a pain in the neck. Ditto after 112 miles on the bike. The key is finding the right tri short that can go the distance and provide comfort and support all day.

I would also avoid a 1-piece suit. Peeing in the lake or on the bike is a topic for another thread. But, unless you're shooting for a Kona slot, you're not going to want to wrestle with getting the suit off if/when an emergency trip to the port-o-john is called for.

Edited by Farlig 2014-04-27 12:49 PM
    2014-04-28 9:15 AM
    in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Algonquin, IL
    Originally posted by rdailey1

With over 2000 people you will see every option being tried.

I wear a two piece tri kit all day with tons of lube.

I wouldn't worry too much about things you can't control, like how much you are going to stink. Surprisingly not that bad. The smell of sunblock covers a lot.
    2014-04-28 9:28 AM

User image

over a barrier
    Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Just finished my first trip out for the Verona loop. Stagecoach might as well be cobbles, but everything else was decent and I didn't really have any other problems. Had a nice ride - looking forward to memorizing the course.

I think they could do a fund raiser and all Triathletes would kick in enough to pave the road and maintain it. Its been bad for 10 years.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
    Views: 66085 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
    Views: 101049 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
    Views: 133480 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
    Views: 131484 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
    Views: 103723 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 30, 2011
    author : mikeinlaguna
    comments : 6
    I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
    date : November 16, 2009
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 1
    Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
    author : Birkierunner
    comments : 2
    Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
    date : June 11, 2007
    author : TriDDS
    If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 4, 2006
    author : Rich Strauss
    comments : 2
    I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
    date : July 5, 2005
    author : dara
    It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
    author : trilover
    comments : 1
    TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.