General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2014-04-28 11:42 AM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Originally posted by Farlig
Originally posted by rdailey1

Since this is wetsuit legal, do people do full changes after the swim into bicycling (bib shorts, jersey), then running gear for each segment, or just go with a one piece tri suit for the whole thing and deal with sweating through the same smelly kit for 10-16 hours? I'm on the fence at this point, but probably could be convinced to err on the side of comfort, even if it costs me 3-4 minutes in transition time.

I wear a 2-piece tri kit all day, starting with under my wetsuit. Trying to put on shorts and a jersey coming out of the swim is a pain in the neck. Ditto after 112 miles on the bike. The key is finding the right tri short that can go the distance and provide comfort and support all day. I would also avoid a 1-piece suit. Peeing in the lake or on the bike is a topic for another thread. But, unless you're shooting for a Kona slot, you're not going to want to wrestle with getting the suit off if/when an emergency trip to the port-o-john is called for.

So i imagine bibs would be a bad idea in this scenario as well. peeing isn't a problem with bibs, but I would imagine #2 could be an issue if it was an emergency, short of a full zip top that could easily be taken off (I haven't seen full zip tri tops, only cycling jerseys). The bibs would be no different than the one piece trisuit in that situation.

And of course I'm shooting for a Kona slot! Who isn't?!

2014-05-01 11:26 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

Since this is wetsuit legal, do people do full changes after the swim into bicycling (bib shorts, jersey), then running gear for each segment, or just go with a one piece tri suit for the whole thing and deal with sweating through the same smelly kit for 10-16 hours? I'm on the fence at this point, but probably could be convinced to err on the side of comfort, even if it costs me 3-4 minutes in transition time.

I wear a 2-piece tri kit all day, starting with under my wetsuit. Trying to put on shorts and a jersey coming out of the swim is a pain in the neck. Ditto after 112 miles on the bike. The key is finding the right tri short that can go the distance and provide comfort and support all day. I would also avoid a 1-piece suit. Peeing in the lake or on the bike is a topic for another thread. But, unless you're shooting for a Kona slot, you're not going to want to wrestle with getting the suit off if/when an emergency trip to the port-o-john is called for.

So i imagine bibs would be a bad idea in this scenario as well. peeing isn't a problem with bibs, but I would imagine #2 could be an issue if it was an emergency, short of a full zip top that could easily be taken off (I haven't seen full zip tri tops, only cycling jerseys). The bibs would be no different than the one piece trisuit in that situation.

I do a full change for cycling and a full change for running. I'm mainly a cyclist, so I find cycling shorts much more comfortable. Plus, the longer shorts provide more compression for my quads and hamstrings.

You'll see every different way to dress, so do what makes you most comfortable. Don't worry about what will make you fastest in transition if it will make you slower and more uncomfortable on course.
2014-05-22 1:05 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
An apparel trick I learned at IMFL was to wear a 2 piece tri suit from start to finish but slip on a pair of bike shorts over tri bottoms for the ride then remove for the run. I also wore compression legUsually a smart idea to put a long sleeve dry tech shirt in special needs bag for run in case you get cold.

On the subject of bike gearing - I've been reading some opinions on the IMOO facebook page about preferred gearing for all the climbs. I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. I am riding a Cervelo P2 carbon with a 50/34 front ring and a 11/25 cassette. I'd appreciate any suggested gear changes from you IMOO veterans out there.

Thanks,
2014-05-26 1:08 PM
in reply to: kweezen

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by kweezen An apparel trick I learned at IMFL was to wear a 2 piece tri suit from start to finish but slip on a pair of bike shorts over tri bottoms for the ride then remove for the run. I also wore compression legUsually a smart idea to put a long sleeve dry tech shirt in special needs bag for run in case you get cold. On the subject of bike gearing - I've been reading some opinions on the IMOO facebook page about preferred gearing for all the climbs. I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. I am riding a Cervelo P2 carbon with a 50/34 front ring and a 11/25 cassette. I'd appreciate any suggested gear changes from you IMOO veterans out there. Thanks,

I'll bump this because I'm interested in hearing responses to the gearing question. I'm currently running the exact same setup (P2, compact front and 11-25 on the back). 

2014-06-02 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by kweezen An apparel trick I learned at IMFL was to wear a 2 piece tri suit from start to finish but slip on a pair of bike shorts over tri bottoms for the ride then remove for the run. I also wore compression legUsually a smart idea to put a long sleeve dry tech shirt in special needs bag for run in case you get cold. On the subject of bike gearing - I've been reading some opinions on the IMOO facebook page about preferred gearing for all the climbs. I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. I am riding a Cervelo P2 carbon with a 50/34 front ring and a 11/25 cassette. I'd appreciate any suggested gear changes from you IMOO veterans out there. Thanks,

I'll bump this because I'm interested in hearing responses to the gearing question. I'm currently running the exact same setup (P2, compact front and 11-25 on the back). 

I'm right in the same ballpark. FTP is around 240, and I'm at 172lbs, with a race weight (hopefully) of 165. I've ran the Verona Loop a couple of times this year, and first with a 53/39 and 11-28 and then again with a 50/34 and an 11-28. The compact makes a huge difference. I spent probably close to 10 minutes over the Loop grinding in the 28 tooth granny gear. The ratio spread in the 11-28 is bigger and the jumps lower in the cassette are bigger, but I don't find it to be significant enough to sacrifice the 28 tooth climber. Especially for the trio near the end of the loop, the 12% bigger 28-tooth is well worth it.

Personally, I plan on sticking with the 50/34 compact and the 11-28 cassette for race day.
2014-06-08 7:59 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN

Castelli makes a pair of bib tri shorts and a full zip tri top.

2014-06-19 1:38 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
How is the training going everyone? Twelve or so more weeks to go! I am ready to knock this thing out and sit on the couch and watch college football baby!
2014-06-20 10:27 PM
in reply to: MikeinGR

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by MikeinGR

How is the training going everyone? Twelve or so more weeks to go! I am ready to knock this thing out and sit on the couch and watch college football baby!

Feeling fat and lazy, hating the weather, adjusting to a new job - so the typical grind.
2014-07-11 10:21 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Does anyone know if any groups are doing any rides of the course on weekends? This is going to be my first IM and I live a couple hours away but I'd really like to come up and ride the course to see what I've gotten myself in to. What about swimming? Can you swim in the lake at anytime for training? Is the lake marked??

Thanks
2014-07-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by rgarcia1501

Does anyone know if any groups are doing any rides of the course on weekends? This is going to be my first IM and I live a couple hours away but I'd really like to come up and ride the course to see what I've gotten myself in to. What about swimming? Can you swim in the lake at anytime for training? Is the lake marked??

Thanks

There are groups and individuals that ride every weekend...Thursday - Sunday. You won't be alone. :-) My suggestion is to park at the Rocket Bike Shop on Paoli (just north of Bruce Street) and leave from there to start the loop. RBS will even let you shower after for $10. They kind of act like your SAG wagon should something go wrong on the training rides. They are closed on Sundays.

Gordon_mom and I were out there last weekend on Saturday and Sunday. The course is marked with painted green arrows, but I suggest you take either the map or the verbiage with you.

Couple of things to note: Verona police and Cross Plains police are patrolling to make sure we stop at all the stop signs and lights. Walen Rd is unbelievably bumpy. Racine (if you've done it) looks like glass compared to that.

If you're looking to run after the your ride, the Military State Trail is literally just around the corner from RBS. It's shaded and busy. If you run, I recommend heading toward Fitchburg. The other direction is mentally painful. :-)

You can swim in the lake anytime you want, but it's not marked. You'll be on your own out there just be careful.

Hope that helps!
2014-07-11 2:18 PM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota

Thanks

WIBA in 3 weeks is a good option. I've never done it myself, but I hear they put on a pretty good show.

http://www.wisconsinbrickadventure.com/

2014-07-11 2:21 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha

Thanks

WIBA in 3 weeks is a good option. I've never done it myself, but I hear they put on a pretty good show.

http://www.wisconsinbrickadventure.com/

WIBA is sold out right now. But open rides/runs are still an option.
2014-07-28 12:16 AM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

OK, so 6 weeks out...

Who's nervous? excited? undertrained? injured? burned out? Have people been out to the bike loop recently? It looks like parts of the "stick" of the loop have been changed slightly, but I'm not sure 'cause I've never done the course, just looked at the maps...

Are there other here who will be racing without ever having ridden the course? thats looking more and more like what I'll be doing

2014-07-28 3:31 PM

Nervous. Excited. And undertrained. Have not done the bike course yet but plan to do a portion of it in August. Managed to complete Racine70.3 and that has made me appreciate that more training is needed. And I also need to find a way to stop leg cramps during swimming! Good luck with your training and keep a positive attitude!
2014-07-28 6:22 PM
in reply to: #4857965

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I am thinking of heading up for a double loop on Sunday, 8-3. Aiming to depart Arlington Heights, IL around 5am or so. I would be happy to split gas and driving with someone. Probably going to be an easy pace, around 16mph average. Feel free to PM me if interested.
2014-07-28 7:41 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Yes 6 weeks out. Let's get this thing done with!!! . Still need some training though ...

Excited yes. Nervous, not right now. Undertrained - I would say I am feeling pretty good especially for jumping from one discipline to another - and I think I have a plan for this race that will work well.

Have not done the bike course - nor will I - but have been riding a course around here (GR, MI) that many people say would be good training for it.

So, will not do any of Madison before this race. Actually, first time I have been to the place.

I plan on curb stomping this race that being said.

I am a middle of the packer so take that with a grain of salt!!!

We got this though.

Turn down for what as my friend Lil John likes to say!?!

2014-07-31 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Subject: RE: Clear google, smoke lens?
For the IM WI swim would you suggest a smoke lens for light protection or clear?

I know it depends on weather but does anyone have a legit suggestion on that, and why?

Thank you ...

Mike
2014-07-31 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For the IM WI swim would you suggest a smoke lens for light protection or clear?

I know it depends on weather but does anyone have a legit suggestion on that, and why?

Thank you ...

Mike

I'd probably split the difference and go with blue, or some other mid-range tint. The swim starts out heading southwest, so you're not going straight into the sun. By the time most round the turn for the return trip, the sun is high enough in the sky that it's still not too much of an issue.

Try to do a couple of morning OWS swims and see how you fare with all of your goggle options. I tend to only need dark/mirrored lenses on exceptionally clear, sunny days. YMMV.
2014-08-01 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Thank you ...

Mike

Sorry for busting in where I don't belong but the "clear goggle, smoke lens" topic grabbed my attention. I did IMWI in '12 and you are swimming into the sun on the backside of the swim loop if its a clear sunny day. I'd have a smokey, a yellow, and a clear on hand and make a morning of decision. Don't worry about trying to see anything in the water itself. you can't. It's dark water and likely the only thing you'll see is a foot or arm as its about to swak you.
2014-08-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: mighty mom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mighty mom

Thank you ...

Mike

Sorry for busting in where I don't belong but the "clear goggle, smoke lens" topic grabbed my attention. I did IMWI in '12 and you are swimming into the sun on the backside of the swim loop if its a clear sunny day. I'd have a smokey, a yellow, and a clear on hand and make a morning of decision. Don't worry about trying to see anything in the water itself. you can't. It's dark water and likely the only thing you'll see is a foot or arm as its about to swak you.

Huh. I did the same race and had a completely different experience. With the loop starting Southwest and then turning Northeast, I never had any sighting issues for the back stretch due to glare. Either way, the advice is sound - bring all of your goggles and make a game-time decision. There's nothing to see in the lake except other swimmers...and snakes.
2014-08-01 9:45 PM

User image

I always swim with tinted and just look for a lot of arms and follow the arms. The hundreds of arms know where they are going. I don't need to see what nasty things I'm swimming in

Hopefully everyone's training it going well. I'm burned out to say the least. I think my 70.3 took too much out of me wheres last year I was back in training mode 2 days later and more determined than other (probably because last year was a horrible race). Little worried about the sunset time in WI. Does anyone know about when the sun sets around raceday? I would think 8pm or so?

2014-08-02 10:44 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin Official Thread 2014

Originally posted by Blastman I always swim with tinted and just look for a lot of arms and follow the arms. The hundreds of arms know where they are going. I don't need to see what nasty things I'm swimming in Hopefully everyone's training it going well. I'm burned out to say the least. I think my 70.3 took too much out of me wheres last year I was back in training mode 2 days later and more determined than other (probably because last year was a horrible race). Little worried about the sunset time in WI. Does anyone know about when the sun sets around raceday? I would think 8pm or so?

Officially 7:22, but won't really be dark until around 8. I've said all along that I just hope to finish before sunset. We'll see.

2014-08-03 2:45 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin Official Thread 2014
Yeah I should be able to but things happen. I was freaking out last year since I met up with some BT people at Vineman and they were talking about all the stuff and extra cloths they brought for the running special needs bags. I didn't even think about that stuff until they said it. I was freaking out and just told myself that I'm finishing before sundown and that's just the way it's going to be. Luckily it worked out. That course had zero lights on it so I'm glad I pulled it off. I imagine this one would have lights since it's a city run.
2014-08-04 7:35 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Great week of training for me just concluded with a solid 19 hour week....awesome!  Kind of an easier week on tap now followed by the crescendo (20+ hours) coming up the week of 8/11.  Starting to really look forward to 9/7 now as it is really entering the radar screen.  Hope everyone else is feeling good, strong and healthy!  Keep up the good work.

2014-08-04 9:01 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Two days off this past weekend due to family camping and came back feeling stronger than i have in about a month!  Big couple of weeks for me on the horizon,  will be in Madison with a BUNCH of others on the 16th for some shwimmy and bikey and maybe also some run!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 66082 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
Views: 101048 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
Views: 133479 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
Views: 131482 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
Views: 103722 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.