General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Diamond Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Black Diamond Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Enumclaw, Washington
United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 54m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up, eat, drive to "the claw" - Enumclaw that is.
Event warmup:

Some day perhaps. This was my 6th HIM and 4th time racing Black Diamond course (1 Oly, 3 HIMs)
Swim
  • 41m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Some day I will really learn how to swim. My 6th HIM and I am pretty sure all 6 times are within 2 minutes of each other. All +41 and probably all <43m. At least I'm consistent. I would trade some consistency for speed though. Lake was the warmest I've ever seen deep lake - by quite a bit. No fog, sighting was good. I felt like I held a pretty good line for most of the race except the last turn. Somehow got way out of position on that last turn.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder.
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Bike
  • 2h 58m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Best result so far at Black Diamond HIM. Things went fairly smoothly for the entire ride. Nutrition, water stations etc. Felt great all the way from start to finish.
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Run
  • 2h 08m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Only part of my race I wish I had a do-over. Felt great coming into T2, felt fantastic through the first 5 miles or so, until I got to the only significant hill in the race. I don't know what it is about this hill, but every year it gets me. It's not the hill itself (or at least what you would consider the main part of the hill) but the neighborhood after that I always fade in. I think that neighborhood is a false flat because I always seem to fade just as we go into the out and back section 1/4 mile or so after peaking the main hill part. Last year I attributed it to heat, this year I also felt hot, but now I'm not so sure it was just heat. Up until that point I felt great, probably running faster than I should have but it didn't feel excessive. In any case, same story as last year. Hit the hill feeling good. Peak, not feeling as good, and by the time I hit the neighborhood out and back - wish I was back home watching TV... Stopped for a walk and from here on out it was downhill. Spent WAY to much time walking When I did run again it felt good for the most part, just couldn't keep up the pace. Last 1.25 mile or so around the lake sucked, by that point I really did whish I was home.
What would you do differently?:

I need to figure out this run fading issue. I pace my bike rather conservatively so I don't think it's bike pacing that is hurting me. Never pace my bike above what I hit regularly in training and never feel beat up after - but results are the same. Runs are not where they are supposed to be. Right now I am thinking it's either a calorie issue (not enough on the bike), a pacing issue on the run (I should have been able to hold my pace in this race - I hold close enough to this pace in my long runs on a weekly basis) or perhaps an electrolyte issue. I'll start with food first and see what happens. This sport is addicting enough, these little sort of details are enough to make me wish I could race weekly to test out all these ideas..

Finished though with my best HIM performance by far, my best bike split and tying my best run and average swim, so I can't really complain much
Post race
Warm down:

I never understand how people eat, or drink alcohol, immediately following a race. I grabbed some post race food and a beer. Had about 3 bites and 2 sips before deciding I was done. I will admit publically to dumping out a beer. Yes, it sucked that badly going down (and it's one of my favorite local producers)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Random excuse generator says: Genetics

Event comments:

While Black Diamond isn't the flashiest production race, or the most scenic course in the PNW I really enjoy racing here. Small field, well managed and a great way to cap a season before the rains/crap weather return. This is my 4th year in a row doing Black Diamond and every year they make this a better and better race. The tech shirt, race medal and Deschutes on tap after the race (even if I don't feel like having one) are a nice touch.

Had a good dinner with my family at the Mint in Enumclaw after. I'll end this report by just saying this - They have lots of good beer and homemade bacon jam on the menu.

Last updated: 2013-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:25 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 2x loop around deep lake - A never ending source of entertainment to my wife an and friends that grew up in the area. Deep lake is not considered "clean" by any means (lot's of people and ducks) I doubt it's any less clean than any other lake around here though
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:58:53 | 56 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:03 | 13.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-17 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: Black Diamond Triathlon - Long Course

2014-01-06 1:24 AM
in reply to: #4858167

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
Subject: RE: Black Diamond Triathlon - Long Course

Great report.  I'm thinking of doing this race this year so this is helpful.  Was the bike course very hilly?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Diamond Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Black Diamond Triathlon - Long Course

Started by mark.evans
Views: 944 Posts: 1

2012-09-18 12:07 AM mark.evans

Started by cnsegura
Views: 1151 Posts: 1

2012-09-17 5:52 PM cnsegura

Started by zwiens
Views: 1488 Posts: 1

2011-09-25 3:06 PM zwiens

Started by cnsegura
Views: 1228 Posts: 1

2011-09-24 11:26 PM cnsegura

Black Diamond - Long Course Triathlon

Started by blg_blg
Views: 1367 Posts: 1

2010-09-29 3:57 PM blg_blg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?

date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.