General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lone Star Sprint in Galveston- Wet suit? Run to Transition? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-18 3:14 PM

User image

Subject: Lone Star Sprint in Galveston- Wet suit? Run to Transition?
Ive never swam or worn a wet suit before. This race will only be my second triathlon. Its only a 400m swim and they are reporting water temp is currently 80 degrees. Am I crazy for trying to do this without a wet suit? Should I swim in one? Im starting to get a little worried since others are talking about renting them or that they may be needed.

Also... what does the run to transition look like? Am I gonna wish I had shoes as I run over hot lava? lol

Any thoughts?

Edited by LSUdreamer 2013-09-18 3:21 PM

2013-09-19 8:47 AM
in reply to: LSUdreamer

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Lone Star Sprint in Galveston- Wet suit? Run to Transition?
I did the Firethorne in Katy last year as my 2nd tri ever. It was wetsuit legal and about 45degrees out that morning!!!!!! The water wasn't near that cold, but it was still chilly. I was one of just a few without a wetsuit, but I lived and had a good time. The worst part of that race was my feet froze (as did almost everyone's) during the bike segment. Have fun.
2013-09-19 9:37 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pro
CyFair
Really??  Wetsuit legal.  Wow.  My wetsuit is in Connecticut.  Speed suit it is.
2013-09-19 9:39 AM

New user

Seriously? 80 degrees is NOT cold! That's why it's not wetsuit "legal" by USAT rules at that temp. It is permissible, but I personally think it would be more trouble than it's worth for a sprint. The run to transition isn't bad at all. I've raced at that location many times before. You're fine. Quit worrying....and have a super race!! It's a great course.
2013-09-19 9:45 AM
in reply to: sweatnbullets

User image

Pro
CyFair
I agree.  Especially for a sprint you're not going to get that much extra speed.  Honestly it will probably be all lost in stripping the suit.  The run to transition is slightly up hill and on grass until you hit the parking lot (transition)
2013-09-19 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
You won't get cold in 80 degree water, especially once you're swimming. I'm a cold weenie, am racing the 5150 on Sunday, and certainly won't be wearing a wetsuit if it's 80.

I'd also advise against wearing a wetsuit for the first time in a race.

Good luck!

2013-09-19 1:21 PM

New user

Houston
No need for a wetsuit. The water temp is going to be great.
2013-09-19 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I don't know where you saw 80 degrees, but I'm actually seeing 84-85. (Galveston Pier 21 bouy)).

Even if the water drops to 83 and is legal, it could get too hot with the swim cap and a wetsuit. I raced Bridgeland in August - the water was 85 or so and I was getting hot with the swim cap on after about 400m. (Luckily it was only 600m).

The saltwater is going to provide at least 50% of buoyancy of a wetsuit , so even if you are a poorer swimmer, you'll gain some of the buoyancy advantage.

I'd say your friends are crazy for wanting a wetsuit in this race, not the other way around.
2013-09-19 10:15 PM

User image

Thanks for the info. I was planning to go without one... Im not afraid of cold water This will only be my second Tri and my first OWS so should be fun.

Now I am stalking the weather...
2013-09-19 10:46 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

I did the Firethorne in Katy last year as my 2nd tri ever. It was wetsuit legal and about 45degrees out that morning!!!!!! The water wasn't near that cold, but it was still chilly. I was one of just a few without a wetsuit, but I lived and had a good time. The worst part of that race was my feet froze (as did almost everyone's) during the bike segment. Have fun.

Justin Cold feet!!! LOL!!

Bro During cold bike rides other than wearing socks try applying duck tape to the vents of your tri cyclingshoes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lone Star Sprint in Galveston- Wet suit? Run to Transition? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lone Star Sprint - Galveston Sept 2013

Started by LSUdreamer
Views: 1214 Posts: 4

2013-09-01 1:26 PM kati_lh

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by famelec
Views: 6494 Posts: 49

2013-09-19 10:16 PM LSUdreamer

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Pages: 1 2 3

Started by famelec
Views: 6930 Posts: 61

2008-03-31 6:33 PM docballer

Longhorn Sprint/Oly in Galveston

Started by TexOma
Views: 818 Posts: 6

2008-02-14 7:24 PM KEJ

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Pages: 1 2

Started by Ron
Views: 3939 Posts: 27

2007-03-27 9:33 AM Doughboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?
date : May 1, 2006
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.