General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Signing up for HIM without knowing how to swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-19 7:42 PM

Subject: Signing up for HIM without knowing how to swim
Hi everyone, newbie here. Long time lurker, first time posting. So I'd like to sign up for HIM Racine 2014. I'm an otherwise fit 32-year-old. I run marathons and half-marathons regularly. And I've done a few metric centuries on my road bike. All I need to do now is learn how to swim. I thought this would be easy, but good lord it is really difficult. I'm not afraid of the water. I just fail miserably at the breathing aspect. Things that I've tried:

1) Joined a masters swim class -- It was embarrassing. They were very nice about it, but all I can do is doggy paddle. I can run a 3:30 marathon, but I'm getting my butt kicked in the pool by someone's grandma in the next lane. They suggested private lessons.

2) Hired a swim coach -- I've only had one lesson so far, but I've improved a bit. I can stick my face in the water and blow bubbles out my nose. But I can't rotate and breathe. I tried finding the pocket and breathing in the bow wave, but I feel rushed and end up with a lung full of air plus pool water. I empty out my lungs completely underwater and I don't lift my head. Coach suggested I practice some drills at the gym and then schedule our next lesson when I've had some practice.

3) Practiced in the pool -- I went to the pool everyday for a week and I still can't do the body rotation to breathe. I spend 30-45 minutes in the pool before work. I'm relaxed, but continue to fail. After a week of no progress, I decided to try TI.

4) Bought the TI DVD (10 steps perpetual motion) -- I watched the whole thing, took some notes, and tried them at the pool. I tried rotating around "sweet spot" but I sink like a rock. I'm a fairly lean 5'11", 155lbs. I can float on my back and kick my way all the way across the pool. And I can float on my face or my side. But once I start rotating 360 degrees like the exercises suggest, I sink. I've continued to practice both the TI exercises and my coach's drills every morning before work for about 30-45 minutes. It's been a week of practicing rotation the TI way, and I still stink. It's not just my legs that are sinking. I sink chest and legs together. It's like I'm made of lead. I try to "hide my head" and keep a long body line. Terry makes it look easy.

5) Bought the Swim Smooth 'learn to swim dvd' -- I won't get this in the mail for another week, but I'm willing to try anything. I also bought the Swim Smooth book, but it's focused primarily on improving your freestyle, not on starting from scratch. Has anyone tried their learn to swim dvd?

As you can see, I'm motivated. My question now is regarding time frame. It's only been about two weeks since that first private lesson. I haven't given up on any of the above methods. I will continue to go to my private lessons and I'll give the swim smooth dvd a shot. But how long should it take for an otherwise fit 30-something to learn to swim from scratch? A month? Two months? Three months? I understand that everyone is different, but I'd feel better if I knew I wasn't an outlier. More importantly, the registration for HIM Racine opens in a few weeks. Should I sign up with the assumption that I will have figure it out by then? The race is in mid-July 2014, so I have about 10 months. My plan is to do an Olympic distance in early June as well, so technically I have 9 months. Thoughts? Anything I should be doing differently? I'm sure I just need to be more patient, but I'd feel better if I had a sense of how long it should take.

thanks!

2013-09-19 7:55 PM
in reply to: jimjones80

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Signing up for HIM without knowing how to swim
I am an adult onset swimmer myself and was a solid runner before starting tris as well.

With that said, it took me 6 months before having a successful tri swim, and it was miserably slow. I was completely self taught and never had anyone coach me. I've been going to the pool consistently for a little over 18 months now and I'm starting to consider myself an average swimmer for the tri world (I can do sets of 10x100 at 1:40 per 100)

I'm gonna say what everyone else will say: stick with it. It takes awhile. I felt completely unnatural in the water as well, and it was weird coming from a running background where running felt so natural and easy. It takes time. Keep going to the gym 3-4x a week and stay in the water for 45-60 minutes. Keep at it. It will come if you stick with it. It does take awhile and think in terms of months.

How long does it take? It depends on each person. I'd give it 2-3 months with a coach before you feel ok with swimming.
2013-09-19 7:59 PM

User image

Pro

look on the bright side.

when you finally do get out of the water... nobody will pass you on the bike.  (they'll all be in front of you)

you have no idea how demoralizing it is to come out of the water FOP and spend the next 5 hours being passed by people like you.

2013-09-19 8:19 PM

User image

Bronze member

Gosh this sounds very familiar. I am working with a friend right now who is also a very experienced marathon runner and can hold her own on the bike but swimming is not coming natural for her. She is planning a local HIM next June and she has been at it swimming for about 4 weeks now with lessons 2 x a week.

So, you are not alone.

How long will it take? No one can answer that. But there are lots of threads on BT from people just like you who stuck with it and eventually something "clicked".

I would not keep purchasing all of these different plans though. I think your best input is going to be from time spent with an experienced swim teacher who can look at your stroke and provide feedback.

For me swimming came easy but I've been at this whole running deal for over 20 years with not much to show for it Wink.

Good luck

2013-09-19 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Given where you are with your swimming at the moment, I would not sign up for an HIM.  Wait until you have some faith that you are making progress and can realistically expect to complete the swim.

A girl at the local run shop signed up for the Muskoka 70.3 - couldn't swim.  A few months of practise, some 1 on 1 with a coach, and they pulled her out after 400M during the race and she went home with a DNF.  Sign up after you know to swim - my 2 cents.

2013-09-19 8:53 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I think your expectations for these past 2 weeks (ONLY TWO WEEKS!) are artificially high. It takes a lot of adults months to be proficient in the water. Be patient and keep going to private lessons. 

And not to scare you, but when you master the pool you will also want to practice in open water. That's a whole 'nother beast for some folks.

2013-09-19 8:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

I started swimming in November of last year and completed Steelhead 70.3 in August. I had run two full marathons prior to taking up swimming, but nowhere near a 3:30. I think it really depends on your expectations, i'm perfectly fine with being in the BOP and my only goal for the 70.3 was to finish.

I didn't hire a coach, just read articles, watched TI and a couple other swim vids, and I went from swimming a 100 and being out of breath to my first 2.4 mile swim in February (granted it was in a lap pool) after swimming 3-4 times a week for that duration. I definitely picked it up faster than normal, It took about a month for me to get breathing down, and by no means am I fast, but I don't have any concerns with race cutoffs or fear of open water/distance.

If I remember correctly, Racine did not sell out last year. I'd give it a couple months in the pool, then swim in open-water with a friend (definitely a different experience) and re-evaluate based on your progress, it's certainly possible.

Edited by AHanrath 2013-09-19 9:01 PM
2013-09-19 9:37 PM
in reply to: AHanrath

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I honestly had no frame of reference for how long this should take. You watch a 60-minute video and you figure it couldn't be that hard. I'm ok being BOP for the swim leg of the race, I can make up for it elsewhere. My fear is to DNF or be in a life-threatening situation, as Neil mentioned above. It's good the know that Racine doesn't sell out early. I may reassess based on my progress. Hopefully something will click soon. Worst case scenario, I keep doing marathons next year and I'll fulfill my HIM dreams in 2015. Thanks!

-jim
2013-09-19 9:51 PM

Chicago

FYI Racine is open for registration. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/racine/register.aspx#axzz2fBzmK2IV It did sell out last year, but not for awhile. I'm thinking of doing it this year so I've been watching for it to open.

2013-09-19 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Swimming is very technical, stick with it and it will click. If you have the option it might be a good idea to find a swim coach with experience teaching adults to swim.... From your earlier post I wonder if that is the case with your current coach or not.

I was in your shoes about three years ago, I tired all the videos in the world and just couldn't figure it out. Finally after a week of group lessons it clicked for me and I was suddenly able to swim lap after lap.
2013-09-20 12:18 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by morey000

look on the bright side.

when you finally do get out of the water... nobody will pass you on the bike.  (they'll all be in front of you)

you have no idea how demoralizing it is to come out of the water FOP and spend the next 5 hours being passed by people like you.

i love passing elite swimmers

2013-09-20 1:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Only two weeks into training? I think it is counter productive to get both swim smooth and TI videos and go to master class and have a private coach. Each have different approaches and may just leave you even more confused. Leave the videos and ask your private coach if he thinks you should keep up with the master class or practice on your own.

You need to be patient, swimming is both about continuous improvement and then sometimes it just needs to click. You should see large improvements over the coming months if you stay consistent with your training, but just how far you'll get is impossible to predict.

Second, for your own safety, and everybody else's, don't sign up for a race until you know you can swim the distance, you should be confident in the water and be able to do the distance in the pool and then some more. You should have some OWS experience at least with shorter distances. I've seen people getting rescued after less than 50m, they might be able to swim the distance in a pool, but OWS is different and some people just panic when they can't see the bottom.

Set your target for a shorter distance first, a supersprint is a great learning experience.

Don't collect failures.
2013-09-20 5:37 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite
Originally posted by lisac957

I think your expectations for these past 2 weeks (ONLY TWO WEEKS!) are artificially high. It takes a lot of adults months to be proficient in the water. Be patient and keep going to private lessons. 

And not to scare you, but when you master the pool you will also want to practice in open water. That's a whole 'nother beast for some folks.

X2 on what Lisa said, so based on your lack of technique you need more lessons...good luck fortunately you still have more time
2013-09-20 5:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-20 5:58 AM
2013-09-20 6:25 AM

I'd hold off on signing up until you are more confident in the water.

I was in a similar situation just 1 year ago. Did a duathlon (run, bike, run) due to my inability to swim. Last October was my first private swim lesson. 1st 2 or 3 weeks and I thought that i'd never get it. Listen to the feedback that your coach provides.

A couple of babysteps that really built my confidence.

1) Struggled so bad with breathing that I got a nose clip. Only having to worry about air into the mouth vs mouth and nose really helped me. I swam all last winter and even my first OLY tri this year with one. Eventually I've gotten used to not having it and don't use it anymore.
2) I really struggled with breathing, so I grabbed a kickboard and set a goal for myself to see if I could swim with that kickboard doing only side breathing (turn head to the side just like regular swim stroke) for 20 min. While swimming 20 min with a kickboard didn't do much for my swimming stroke, the confidence it gave me to breath really helped.
3) After I got slightly comfortable with the breathing I targeted a Friday and treated it like a race; rested couple days before, increased my sleep, and watched nutrition. I used a pull buoy and decided I was going to go as slow and far as I could. Just keep going. I was able to do 1 mile, but it took me about an hour. I was very excited about this because it was actually only about 6 weeks after my first lesson. I built my form and speed since then now I'm about in the 75 percentile for swim.

All told last OCT I couldn't swim 100 yards, by June I did my first OLY and finished about 75 percentile for swim.

So that's my progress in the last year, I think you have enough time and fitness, just getting the technique down.

TrBeau17
2013-09-20 7:05 AM

Champion
MA

You are clearly dedicated and determined to learn how to swim.

You have investigated many options and pursued them. You have not given any method enough time to work and now are mixing in various ideas from different sources. TI has one lesson a week that you do 3-4 times. The focus may be on one slight thing that you need to get before you can move one. Body position in the water and balance is key and for many can't be rushed.

My thought given what you shared you would be best off with a in person coach who will see you frequently as your start maybe weekly then as things click you can drop your frequency.

I have hired quite a few private swim coaches. I could 'swim' when I started but wanted to learn better so started from scratch the TI way one winter and took private lessons over 6 months. It finally clicked. I am comfortable in the water and have improved but continue to be a slow swimmer.

Not sure where you live but you may want to ask here on BT in your State's forum for a recommendation. Not all swim coaches are good fit for beginner adult swimmer or for you.

I have great confidence you will master the swim so you will be safe and confident swimmer for your HIM. Until you are safe swimmer please don't race for your and other's safety.

2013-09-20 7:51 AM
in reply to: KathyG

This is all great advice. As much as I was hoping to do a HIM next year, I see now that it's better to wait. The difference between OWS and pool swimming is also a good point. I'll keep hitting the pool and fine tuning the other two disciplines. Part of me is actually relieved that I have more time to train. I'll try to report back with my progress so that future newbies can stumble upon this thread.

Thanks again, everyone.

-jim
2013-09-20 9:24 AM

Regular
Levittown, PA
I have mentioned my experience to others on this board and although some people might tell you its not a good idea to learn with a snorkel, I can tell you first hand that it was a god send for me. I went to the local pool thinking I knew how to swim and boy was I wrong. It was a disaster for the first few sessions (mainly because of breathing). I figured if I could take the rotating and breathing out of the equation, then maybe I can work on my technique and stamina. I bought a Finis front facing snorkel (not the freestyle one, just the normal one) and went to the pool. The very first time I put it on I did 75 yards non stop and couldn't believe how easy it felt. I worked my way up to 1000 to 1200 yard sessions which took several weeks and then decided to take the snorkel off and try again. It was amazing the difference. Yes I still got some water down the throat the first few times I tried it, but I very quickly learned to breathe properly. Its amazing that once your body has the muscle memory aspect of swimming down, then the breathing just consists of rotating your body and head and just catching a breath. Like i said, I know some people may say the snorkel is just a crutch and will hurt you more than help, but I assure you that It helped me immensely. I got the Finis snorkel on amazon for like $30. Also, get a set of nose clips, its hard to breath with the snorkel without them. Worse case scenario is your out $35 or so if it doesn't work and best case scenario, you learn to swim and breath like me. Hope that helps.

Edited by spiderjunior 2013-09-20 9:25 AM
2013-09-20 9:36 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by erik.norgaard

Leave the videos and ask your private coach if he thinks you should keep up with the master class or practice on your own.

Well the OP said the masters folks "suggested" private lessons since all he could do was doggy paddle. IMO master's class is not the place for someone who does not have the basics down. 

I see a lot of suggesions on this board jumping straight to masters classes, which I think is poor advice until you can master a basic level of swimming. Masters is not private lessons, and treating it that way only frustrates the coach and other participants. At least in my neck of the woods.

2013-09-20 10:09 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I did exactly what you are comtemplating doing last year. I signed up for a HIM with zero swim experience. I had 11 months to get ready to do it. Same background a runner transitioning to triathlon. I was able to do it. I did 2 sprints and 1 Oly before the HIM. I think you have plenty of time to get ready to do it. It took me 2 to 3 months to be able to swim, not well mind you but I got better as time went on. I spent a lot of time at the pool and then in the lake practicing. I also took some swim lessons early on to get me going and then was fortunate enough to train with experienced triathletes who were a tremendous help especially for the OWS. You definitely can do it, be persistent and swim alot. I think I was doing 4 days a week when I started. I swam as much as I could. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
2013-09-20 10:25 AM

St Catharines, Ontario
Private coaching will yeild the bests results, as a god 2nd pair of eyes helps to spot exactly the error in form that is letting you sink.

A few ideas:

1) Go to the pool and have a session just to play. Tread water for 10 minutes. Practice diving down to retrive items from the deep end. Practice the drill where you gently submerge, breath out all the way out of your nose, and then pause a second before coming up for a breath. All this adds to water confidence.

2) Do the one sided drill with a pull bouy. The bouy makes it virtually impossible to sink.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

This is all about keeping one arm extended out in front of you. This makes you much more balanced in the water like a nice long sail boat or speed boat.

3) Do some work on neck and shoulder flexibility (side to side). I still get some sorness from swim sessions as my flexibility to rotate (even enough to get a breath just above the surface) is poor.

You seem highly motivated. It will click as some point soon.

2013-09-20 10:35 AM

Sioux Falls, SD
I'm on board with everyone else here. I wouldn't sign up until you are confident you can swim the distance at least in a pool. Racine last year was the toughest swim I've ever done with some big swells hitting us and A LOT of people asking to be pulled from the water. The previous years the swim has been wonderful there though. So you're not exactly sure what you'll get out of Lake Michigan come race morning. Luckily, Racine in the past hasn't filled up until just a few weeks before the race. If I were you, I'd plan on doing Racine and make it your goal, but don't sign up yet. Keep it up though, you'll get more comfortable in the water.
2013-09-20 11:11 AM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

Austin

Here are a few ideas from me. Its not like you haven't had enough from others.

Last year I took some lessons myself. But instead of from a coach at the gym who stands on the side and says do this do that. I went to a kids swim school that offered some adult lessons. The teachers were in the water with you the whole time and since they were used to working with kids they didn't seem to get as frustrated when it I asked them to demonstrate the skill for the 3rd or 4th time.

I only had 4 lessons, 1 a week for a month, but every week day I was at the pool practicing what I was taught. It was great.

Once you get more confident with swimming find a friend with a gopro or similar underwater camera and have them film you while swimming at the pool. You will be able to easily see what parts you need to work on. Its terribly embarasing to see yourself from underwater I know.

Good luck and don't give up.

2013-09-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: jetsers

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Do a HIM as the first?  Reeeaaalllly bad idea, IMO.

Do what Tony did:  work like a dog to learn to swim;  if you can go the distance in the pool non-stop and a bit more, THEN do a couple sprints;  THEN, if you were OK on the sprints and can go the distance in a non-race setting in an OWS, do an Oly.  If you can do the Oly and feel good, then a HIM should be cake.

But, there are some steps to take before doing an Oly or HIM.  Without them, I'd have to say no way - too much to go wrong and too little to gain (until you get the skillz - which will come, it's just a matter of being smart about matching skills with races).

All that said, let us know how the HIM goes.  Wink

WELCOME TO TRIATHLON - IT ROCKS!!!  Hope to see you out there (maybe first at a sprint, though).

Matt

2013-09-20 11:37 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Regular
Levittown, PA
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

• All that said, let us know how the HIM goes.  Wink

• Great advice, and then just cracked up when I saw this
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Signing up for HIM without knowing how to swim Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

swim training without a place to swim

Started by jlangene
    Views: 2360 Posts: 17

2012-11-14 3:21 PM Baowolf

Started by Jeepguy2358
    Views: 1607 Posts: 22

2011-07-15 9:26 PM Jeepguy2358

swim warm ups/stretching???

Started by brooksinc1976
    Views: 1576 Posts: 13

2011-01-28 12:08 PM E=H2O

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
    Views: 1849 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

Know your mileage without gadgets!

Started by Steve-
    Views: 1283 Posts: 24

2005-07-15 11:17 AM MTBonker
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 22, 2011
    author : writingrunner
    comments : 1
    Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : April 27, 2011
    author : brumby11
    comments : 5
    An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
    date : January 1, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 0
    Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : June 29, 2010
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussions on Ironman swim training without a pool and race pacing.
    date : December 11, 2007
    author : AMSSM
    I am trying to go from being 40 lbs. overweight, however, I keep having pain in my knees, ankle, or hip that stops me from exercising for several days - killing my momentum.

date : February 7, 2007
    author : browncd
    Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!
    date : March 5, 2006
    author : TH3_FRB
    The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : Ron
    Everything you want to know (and then some).