General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very interested in Triathlon - Care less about IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-20 1:36 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Very interested in Triathlon - Care less about IM
How common is it for Triathletes to be into their sport but have little or no interest in moving up to HIM or IM distance?

or to phrase the whole question another way:

Do you think it is the most natural thing in the world to always want to progress up the scale, from Sprint -> Oly all the way to full IM?

This year I have been having a lot of fun getting in shape to run 5 and 10 km distances, and can see myself really wanting to push my PB times over the next few years. However currently I am training for a HM and it leaves me cold. Too much time away from family. To many dull miles on the road.

In a similar way I got a massive buzz from doing my first mini-sprint Tri this year and see Sprint and Oly as a real test of how good I can be. Is it inevitable that Triathletes always just want to go further? Is settling at a distance frowned upon?

Opinions please.

Edited by badmo77a 2013-09-20 1:43 PM

2013-09-20 1:41 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Very interested in Triathlon - Care less about IM
nothing wrong with short course racing.  its fun to go fast and still be able to fit in a long ride or run later the same day.
2013-09-20 1:43 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Is it inevitable that those who enjoy hiking will always want to climb Everest?  No.  Some of them are sane.
2013-09-20 1:46 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

It's an individual sport, do what makes you happy - remember, this is about having fun. I think that I'd like to try an IM one day, but doubtful I could ever commit to the training required (and the thought of running a marathon w/o music makes me crazy).
2013-09-20 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by badmo77a  Do you think it is the most natural thing in the world to always want to progress up the scale, from Sprint -> Oly all the way to full IM?

For some, yes. For others, no. 

It's your thing, do what you wanna do.

2013-09-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Bronze member

I've been racing triathlons for 5 years and I have no interest in IM. I did race a HIM a couple of years ago as timing was perfect as far as the least impact on my family. I'm glad I did it but I crossed the finish line and told my friends "I never want to do that again!"

I volunteereed and trained with my best friend when she raced IM LOU a couple of years ago. I had a blast but it did not rub off on me like my tri friends thought it would . I'm stubborn like that. I always said I don't want to run a marathon and I sure as heck don't want to do it after I've been on my bike for over a 100 miles!

In fact, I just posted a little while ago that I've been running for fitness for over 20 years. I started in college to get in shape and let's just say college was a long time ago. I've had bouts of injury that required time off but other than that I've been a steady runner for all of this time and the longest distance I've ever raced was the HM that was part of the HIM!

Do what makes you happy. Running on the trail and experiencing the change in seasons with my best four legged friend makes me happy. Slogging (that is what I call my attempt at running) along pounding mile after mile on the pavement - not so much.

2013-09-20 1:57 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Is it inevitable that those who enjoy hiking will always want to climb Everest?  No.  Some of them are sane.

But is it inevitable that all mountain climbers would take the opportunity to climb everest if given to them?

Hiking and mountain climbing are two different things with a huge crossover in gear, skills and training. but someone does not automatically progress from one to the other.

2013-09-20 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm perfectly happy limiting myself to sprint and Oly distance races, along with an occasional half marathon.

I started doing tri's ten years ago at age fifty.  I had little background in endurance sports and was three years post-op from open heart surgery. 

One of the things I've learned along the way from watching others is how much of a commitment it takes to do HIM and IM distance races.  I certainly respect and admire those who do.

I'm 60 now and question whether my body would hold up for the volume required (primarily due to chronic knee, back and Achilles issues) to do HIM or IM distance races (or a full marathon).

Plus, I have other interests in my life that I wouldn't want to give up to train for longer distance races.

I'm not saying that I don't have my Walter Mitty moments and daydream about doing Kona, but I'm perfectly happy doing what I'm doing.

Mark

2013-09-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
Originally posted by badmo77a

Hiking and mountain climbing are two different things with a huge crossover in gear, skills and training. but someone does not automatically progress from one to the other.

Short course racing and long course racing are two different things with a huge crossover in gear, skills and training, but someone does not automatically progress from one to the other.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-09-20 2:00 PM
2013-09-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by trigal38

I've been racing triathlons for 5 years and I have no interest in IM. I did race a HIM a couple of years ago as timing was perfect as far as the least impact on my family. I'm glad I did it but I crossed the finish line and told my friends "I never want to do that again!"

I volunteereed and trained with my best friend when she raced IM LOU a couple of years ago. I had a blast but it did not rub off on me like my tri friends thought it would . I'm stubborn like that. I always said I don't want to run a marathon and I sure as heck don't want to do it after I've been on my bike for over a 100 miles!

In fact, I just posted a little while ago that I've been running for fitness for over 20 years. I started in college to get in shape and let's just say college was a long time ago. I've had bouts of injury that required time off but other than that I've been a steady runner for all of this time and the longest distance I've ever raced was the HM that was part of the HIM!

Do what makes you happy. Running on the trail and experiencing the change in seasons with my best four legged friend makes me happy. Slogging (that is what I call my attempt at running) along pounding mile after mile on the pavement - not so much.

This resonates with me. I think I would much rather do a dozen 10k events with some variety (snow run, trails, fast&flat, hill climb, different countries etc) than always be climbing the ladder.
2013-09-20 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by JohnnyKay Is it inevitable that those who enjoy hiking will always want to climb Everest?  No.  Some of them are sane.
But is it inevitable that all mountain climbers would take the opportunity to climb everest if given to them? Hiking and mountain climbing are two different things with a huge crossover in gear, skills and training. but someone does not automatically progress from one to the other.

everest isn't the hardest climb, but it is the one that all non climbers identify with and would be impressed by the most... hence the pressure to do a full IM branded race.

2013-09-20 2:05 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Goosedog

Short course racing and long course racing are two different things with a huge crossover in gear, skills and training, but someone does not automatically progress from one to the other.

Short course racing and long course racing are two different things?
2013-09-20 2:06 PM

User image

I think it's perfectly natural and in our human nature to be curious about things that are new to us, and also to try things that other people seem to make a big deal about.

It's not to say that everyone thinks that way, I just don't blame anyone that is intrigued by a HIM or IM even if they are better suited towards shorter races as far as performance and enjoyment.  Sometimes we put ourselves through things that we may not want to do all the time just to experience them.  Like sky diving...lots of people jump out of the plane as a tandem jump and just close their eyes and scream.  But they just wanted to do it because it was something on the bucket list and other people said it was fun.

So I do think a lot of people naturally progress to longer distances eventually, but not all of them stay there once they realize it's not something they want to do long term.  Some people are much more wise and can tell that longer distances are not for them even without trying them, or have no desire to do them. 

2013-09-20 2:13 PM

User image

Expert

Yes. The training for and execution of short course vs. long course is very different - including the kind of athlete that excels at each, Chrissy Wellington started out wanting to race ITU, but her coach realized pretty quickly that her talent lay in long course racing. There is a reason why there aren't many successful crossover athletes that race both distances. I was going to post the exact same thing as Goosedog.
2013-09-20 2:18 PM

User image

I just wanted the tattoo.

Now I'm back to OLY and shorter and a lot of century rides

2013-09-20 2:20 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Daffodil

Yes. The training for and execution of short course vs. long course is very different - including the kind of athlete that excels at each, Chrissy Wellington started out wanting to race ITU, but her coach realized pretty quickly that her talent lay in long course racing. There is a reason why there aren't many successful crossover athletes that race both distances. I was going to post the exact same thing as Goosedog.

The difference is clear. Just like the basic motions for runners are comparable but the difference between a 100m, 1500m and marathon runner are dramatically clear.

So why the almost inevitable climb of most begginer triathletes to want to complete a HIM or IM event?

Is it just bucket listing? "i'd sure like to do an IM one day, just to see what it is like?"

2013-09-20 2:23 PM

User image

NC

So why the almost inevitable climb of most begginer triathletes to want to complete a HIM or IM event?

I don't think this is accurate.

2013-09-20 2:35 PM

User image

Nope. Most that I've met are a lot like me

"Damn, that's some stupid distances"

Then realize a few years down the line you'd only need to increase your running a bit and your biking a buttload and you can do one.

THEN it becomes "ahh what the hell, let's go"

Then "Glad that's done, I'm never doing a marathon again"

Then off to the tattoo parlor (a year later in my case)

2013-09-20 2:40 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by badmo77a So why the almost inevitable climb of most begginer triathletes to want to complete a HIM or IM event?
I don't think this is accurate.

I agree with Goosedog.  I know a lot of people who do sprints and 5 and 10k run races and have no desire to go longer. I don't think 'most' triathletes will ever do a full IM.

2013-09-20 2:51 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Selection bias.  Too many insane people here.

2013-09-20 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Just ask Usain Bolt when he's going to step up and run the 5,000 meters...

2013-09-20 2:57 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by Jason N

I think it's perfectly natural and in our human nature to be curious about things that are new to us, and also to try things that other people seem to make a big deal about.

It's not to say that everyone thinks that way, I just don't blame anyone that is intrigued by a HIM or IM even if they are better suited towards shorter races as far as performance and enjoyment.  Sometimes we put ourselves through things that we may not want to do all the time just to experience them.  Like sky diving...lots of people jump out of the plane as a tandem jump and just close their eyes and scream.  But they just wanted to do it because it was something on the bucket list and other people said it was fun.

So I do think a lot of people naturally progress to longer distances eventually, but not all of them stay there once they realize it's not something they want to do long term.  Some people are much more wise and can tell that longer distances are not for them even without trying them, or have no desire to do them. 

More wise than whom? The way you've put it, you are suggesting they are more wise than people who discover that longer distance are not for them long term. Is it unwise to do a long distance race, enjoy it, feel proud of your accomplishment, grow as a person from the experience, and decide that doing longer distance on a longer term is not a good fit for your lifestyle?

2013-09-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by reecealan

Just ask Usain Bolt when he's going to step up and run the 5,000 meters...

We might see 600m...

http://news.sky.com/story/1121595/usain-bolt-and-mo-farah-could-rac...
2013-09-20 3:48 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Originally posted by mrbbrad
Originally posted by Jason N

More wise than whom? The way you've put it, you are suggesting they are more wise than people who discover that longer distance are not for them long term. Is it unwise to do a long distance race, enjoy it, feel proud of your accomplishment, grow as a person from the experience, and decide that doing longer distance on a longer term is not a good fit for your lifestyle?

Doing a longer distance wouldn't be unwise if the bolded is the end result.  You could also come up with a scenario that's more along the lines of a DNS, DNF, hating the experience, feeling a sense of failure, and going into an emotional downward spiral. 

Geez...it was just a general statement about some people knowing that they don't need to try a long distance race to know that it's not for them.  If you want to jump on a high horse and nit pick people's posts...by all means...do so.  It's Friday.

2013-09-20 3:52 PM

User image

Austin

I don't like running 5k's Heck I didn't like running until I got past 6 miles. Once I hit 6 miles my run seems great, later this year when I do my first full marathon we will see if I like it still. But right now I can go out and do a HM distance before work and feel great. Have me run a 5k before work and I will just feel sore and grumpy. 

I love being on my bike also. At almost every sprint I have done in the last 3 years I was sad at the end of the bike leg. Oly's feel great, HIM distance depends on the course.

As for the swim, I am slow and stink at it. But the more I swim the more I realize that its just because I cant get into a good grove until about 3 quarters of a mile into it. The 1.2 mile Him distance by the end I am feeling great. for the full IM distance I seem to get a bit slower at the end but I still feel good.

Some of my friends just die if we run 4 miles, or bike more than about 15. For me thats when I feel like I get better when I am out there longer. So for me personally I am going to focus my next few years on Oly and HIM distance races and try to put a full IM in there sometime too.

If its not for you, thats no big deal, and you will get to race more often and spend less money on said races!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very interested in Triathlon - Care less about IM Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

The first IM race...entry fee $3.00 starters 15 interesting read

Started by kocourek
Views: 1068 Posts: 3

2011-08-08 8:09 AM RazorTri

Interesting survey results on IM race-day NSAID use

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 2019 Posts: 21

2011-01-31 12:55 PM dexter

I'm a data junkie - interesting none the less Pages: 1 2 3

Started by KirkD
Views: 3370 Posts: 53

2009-10-22 10:37 PM sand101

Interesting IM article

Started by amiine
Views: 1254 Posts: 18

2005-12-08 2:04 PM JohnnyKay

Interesting swim problem (to me at least <G>)

Started by joscon
Views: 1166 Posts: 13

2004-05-06 11:45 AM Tri Swim Coach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 0
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.
date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.