General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration set up question for you IM vets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-21 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Hydration set up question for you IM vets
I'm doing IMFL in Nov and have been using an X-lab rear wing for hydration on long rides in training. I'm using Infinit for all my bike nutrition and it will be in my torpedo BTA mount. The only thing I should need off the bike course is water. It looks like water stations are spaced roughly every 10 miles on the course.

So to my question, How many bottles do you carry for a full IM. Am I crazy to take off my X-lab and only have 2 cages (1 designated for nutrition/1 for water)?

Also does the rear wing really do that much negative damage aerodynamically? Am I over thinking this?

Thanks

2013-09-21 6:39 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hydration set up question for you IM vets
How many bottles of infinite do you plan to consume during the bike?
I use rear hydration also but live off the course, i don't think it makes much difference aerodynamically unless your worried about getting a Kona spot.
2013-09-21 6:43 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I go with two cages for IM distance. One between the arms, torped style. One behind my seat, tucked in close.

I start with two bottles of concentrated nutrition. When I finish the first bottle I drop it at an aid station and grab a water bottle to replace it. From then on I am drinking equal amounts of water and nutrition.

At bike special needs I grab two more bottles of nutrition and start the process all over.

It worked very well last year at AZ. Trying it again tomorrow at Tahoe.
2013-09-21 7:11 PM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
It's my first and Kona isn't a possibility, but I figured I have a disc and aero helmet would I be negating the 2 by having 2 bottles I really don't need behind the seat?

I'll have 2 bottles of Infinit. I'll start with one on my bike in T1 and pick up the second in special needs
2013-09-22 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Have you read this article? It's a good summary of how different hydration set-ups tested in the wind tunnel.

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/hydration-a...

2013-09-23 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
If it is your first and Kona is not a concern then I would error on the side of having too many bottles. I did Louisville this year for my first and I had a Speedfill A2 on the aero bars, 2 x-lab cages behind the seat and a cage on the frame. It may seem like overkill but I used all 4 of them. Granted, Louisville is notoriously hot so I went overboard but I had 2 bottles of my concentrate behind the seat, mixed my concentrate/water into the A2 between the bars and used the frame cage for a bottle of plain water at each aid station for drinking/dumping on my head.

I am sure the aerodynamics of my setup were not perfect but I was also well hydrated for the run that started in 95 degree heat.

2013-09-23 8:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Like this?

ETA - IIWY I would carry as much mixed Infinit as you need and one bottle of water and exchange the water at each aid station.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2013-09-23 9:00 AM

(gelbike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
gelbike.jpg (57KB - 11 downloads)
2013-09-23 8:51 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by rjrankin83 It's my first and Kona isn't a possibility, but I figured I have a disc and aero helmet would I be negating the 2 by having 2 bottles I really don't need behind the seat? I'll have 2 bottles of Infinit. I'll start with one on my bike in T1 and pick up the second in special needs

I do two bottles of Infinite as well - I just have water in my aero bottle and infinite on my down tube. Switch out the Infinite bottle at the half way. Easy peasy. Even in a warmer IM like Louisville I did not need more than one full aerobottle of water in between aid stations. 

2013-09-23 10:57 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Berkley
For IMFL last year I just used 2 bottle cages on the frame, it was my first IM so I just wanted to stick with what I was comfortable with. Once I drank my two bottles, I just refilled them at the aid stations, 1 with water and 1 with gatorade (sports drink provided). In my special needs, I packed more sports drink mix and refilled.

Suggestion since it is your first: during my training sessions I drank all sorts of water/sports drinks/flavors/consistency/ combinations just so I was prepared for race day if I needed to go to a Plan B, C, D with my hydration. Do the same thing for the run, while you have just over a month to go, you can still test a few different foods to see how your stomach reacts to them.
2013-09-23 11:42 AM

User image

Originally posted by rjrankin83 It's my first and Kona isn't a possibility, but I figured I have a disc and aero helmet would I be negating the 2 by having 2 bottles I really don't need behind the seat? I'll have 2 bottles of Infinit. I'll start with one on my bike in T1 and pick up the second in special needs

Think about the two bolded statements.  Assuming you get some aero benefit by not having bottles behind the seat, but stop for a few minutes in SN....  sort of a wash, no?   And honestly, whether you stop in SN or use BTS, a couple minutes here and there are not going to overly affect your race. 

That said, I use Infinit, at Canada I concentrated 2 bottles with 2.5 hours.  One torpedo style, one in a cage zip tied close up to my saddle, I used a rubber band to make sure it did not eject.   Frame cage held a water bottle that I replaced every aid station.  Once I used up the front bottle, tossed it and took the one from BTS and put it in the torpedo.  That worked well for me, rode right by SN.

THe risk of having primary nutrition BTS is obviously ejection, but the rubber band and gorilla cage worked fine (used it a lot in training).  The risk of having primary nutrition in SN is that they may not be able to find it.

2013-09-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I hadn't really thought about how I was contradicting myself there. Perhaps I'll just plan on keeping both bottles of Infinit with me, swap out a water bottle on my frame, and skip SN. Maybe use the 4th bottle as a spare kit and ditch the bag attached to the xlab wing. Just to clarify the rubber band method: just wrap it around the cage and over the top of the bottle correct? I hadn't really had a problem with launching bottles in training but I have heard about that stretch of road on the IMFL course.

Shane my original plan was something like this:

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-09-23 1:00 PM

(Bikenutritiongonewrong.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bikenutritiongonewrong.jpg (77KB - 9 downloads)

2013-09-23 1:02 PM

User image

Yeah, I just stretched it from the bottom of the cage over the lid of the bottle.  In several long rides I only launched one bottle, but if it was Infinit you'd have to go back and get it.

That bike was at IM Canada, would have loved to have seen it

2013-09-23 3:31 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Austin
Those pictures are great. I felt like I had too much nutrition in my bento box at bslt, but ate every gel. the full distance looks crazy. I have had super long trainer rides where I ate pizza, or tacos, or waffles while riding. If we could only have that on a race day :P
2013-09-23 3:40 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I tend to live off the course.  Even for IMAZ I would have one bottle of gatorade and bottle of water on the bike - xwing...  I had a bento box with a half dozen GU and maybe a baby ruth candy bar for half way.

Even riding slow, you should get to each aid station in less than 40 mintues.  So I would try to get through 1.5-2 bottles between aid stations mixing between the two.

2013-09-23 5:20 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I wish I could live off the bike course. I don't like Preform at all and Gatorade messes up my stomach on rides. I couldn't imagine living off GU all day, although I will live off the course for the run. Infinit has been perfect for me and makes it easy to carry as I can get 3 hours (900+ cal) into 1 bottle. My top tube bento is reserved for my gummi worms

Long rides in the heat I've been averaging 1 bottle of water an hour so no problem picking that up off the course.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration set up question for you IM vets Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2012 Cannondale Slice 5 hydration set up?

Started by EKH
Views: 4547 Posts: 4

2012-10-08 1:02 PM Billyk

Easiest hydration set up to use?

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 625 Posts: 5

2012-02-03 2:09 PM metafizx

My 15 minute rear hydration set-up.

Started by cstoulil
Views: 1024 Posts: 7

2011-11-29 4:30 PM tigers75

hydration set up for HIM

Started by hayes01
Views: 1033 Posts: 14

2011-05-24 9:42 PM trix

IM vets- Deciding when/if to try IM

Started by Oldteen
Views: 1301 Posts: 11

2011-05-26 12:28 PM Oldteen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.