Pursuit Racing
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 21m 43s
Overall Rank = 102/287
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15, so tired from being at a wedding the night before. Got about 5 hours of sleep. Had a bowl of oats with whey and stopped on the way to have a coffee, bagel and red bull. My stomach was not having anything. Too much booze and weird food last night, but it was a good friends wedding. His first wedding, not my first Tri, so his needs trump mine, and it's always fun to see family and friends. People did think I was insane for doing a tri 6 hours after saying good night though.
Event warmup:

Rain. Lots of it. It was pouring when we got there. They cancelled the swim and put in a 1.5 mile run instead. Never done that before but I guess that's what was happening,
Swim
  • 13m 14s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

1.5 miles, 13:14, 8:49 pace. I went waaaaay too slow on this run. I started out towards the back because it was the biggest wave of the day (Clydes and 44+ I think), so I figured I'd just settle in. I could have gone a lot faster, it was drizzling and nice and cool, I just didn't throw it out there.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster and learn my pace. I was cautious because of the run/bike/run setup since I've never ran before the bike before I didn't want to cook my legs too early.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Took my shoes off, but my bike shoes on and walked my bike to the line. I didn't want to have wet feet during the bike, but my shoes were soaked anyway even with a bag over them, so I should have saved the time and just kept the shoes on the bike.

Not much I could do. Never practiced it this way before.
Bike
  • 42m 49s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 20.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very cautious on the bike because it was so wet out from the pouring rain before that I didn't want to slide or crash. Of course one of the guys was talking about how brutal the bike would be, etc, etc because of the rain. I didn't think it was slippery at all so I'm kind of upset at myself for not pushing more on the bike. I had a lot left. I don't think anyone from my div passed me and I ended up passing lots of the women AGers from the previous 2 waves and some of the males from 3 waves ahead. I was back and forth with one guy who just had a very uneven stroke on the bike, so after a few exchanges of place I thought I could just drop him with a good 20 second haul. I passed him at a flat and figured that was that, but he came huffing and puffing up behind me telling me it was his goal to keep up with me. He was in tough shape and asked why I wasn't breathing hard so I just said something like I'm saving it for the run.

I'd like to say I should have gone faster and pushed more, but my first ride in rain on roads I'm not 100% familiar with, I'll take how I did it. I was over 20 mph and felt like I kept a good pace with others around me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Decided to take my feet out and put them on top of my shoes into T2. Hell, my feet were soaked, it didn't matter, my only option was if I wanted to change socks or not. I went against changing socks once i saw what looked like 2 or 3 other big guys (possibly clydes, clydes aren't labeled) a few seconds behind me.

Not a lot. Felt quick, the Yankz help a ton with the shoes. Love them.
Run
  • 23m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Heading into the run I didn't know if any clydes were ahead of me. I passed 2 right away at what I thought was just a smooth pace. I ended up behind 2 other guys who seemed to be moving well so I just stuck with them. I messed up my watch so I didn't have a good idea of pace, so I just based it on effort which I felt was a little low on the way out but I was still doing all the passing and not getting passed. At the turn the guys slowed to a walk to grab water but I just grabbed two cups real quick, splashed one and drank one and took the turn. I found another guy who had a much faster pace and stuck with him for a lot of the way back in. If I had to guess I was more 8:30-45 on the way out and 7:30-ish on the way back in. It felt good though.

I probably could have kicked it up if I saw any other clydes near me, but it turns out one finished only one minute ahead of me and the other was actually 7 minutes ahead
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza, water, gatorade, I felt good so not too much. I went and checked the results and saw that I was 3rd and was kind of surprised, I figured there were a bunch of guys in front of me I didn't know about. I went to the awards table and they said no, then I went back later and confirmed I was 3rd. My first podium, so that was cool. I'll probably always be a clyde, so I might as well do it for most races. I would have placed 11th if I raced my AG (30-34). All in all I took over 10 minutes off my time from last year, and that was with no swim and a slippery bike. I had fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

After looking at results I was kicking myself for not going harder on the first run. They were both 11:XX on the first run but I slacked off at 13, that would have put me in second and probably on the leaders heels at the start of the bike. Our 5k runs were all within 30 seconds. I also really wish they had the swim. I'm not a strong runner in an overall way, but for a clyde I think I do ok now that I've put in so much time, so I think I would have been in a better position out of the water than I was off the run.

Event comments:

Even with the rain cancelling the swim it was still a good race. This was my first repeat race and I see no reason to ever stop doing it. Great venue, great directors, just really like the race.

Last updated: 2013-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:14 | 586 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 170/287
Performance:
Not a swim, but a 1.5 mile run.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:49 | 14.5 miles | 20.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 94/287
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:32 | 03.11 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 103/287
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-22 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: Wallis Sands Triathlon

2013-09-22 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4861215

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Wallis Sands Triathlon
Way to show up and stick with the race! When I arrived at 7 AM I saw a bunch of cars but only a few bikes in transition. I thought they cancelled the whole thing! Like you, I was thrown by the run-bike-run and had no idea how to pace the first run. I was also super cautious on the bike and could have given 'er a bit more. I also missed the swim. After last year's brutal waves, I was looking forward to a re-match!

So - was that you that called out "labbit" to me on the run?
2013-09-23 7:31 AM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I know, I was there around 7, it was just disgusting out. I've never done a modified version like that. I figured I wasn't going to set any PRs on the bike, especially with the run before, so I might as well just go at a comfortable pace. I swam there last week and it felt great, so I wish I had a rematch with the water. Now I have to wait until next year.

Yes, that was me yelling at you. I recognized the jersey and the name and put it all together. I was buzzing around after with a few family members, I think I saw you when I was getting in my car, I should have popped out and said hi.
2013-09-23 8:48 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Definitely in need of a re-match next year, we'll both kill it! And yes, please do say hi! It took a second for me to realize why someone I didn't know would say "labbit" then I knew it had to be you. It totally gave me a boost on the run!
2013-09-23 9:17 AM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Sounds like a friendy rivalry brewing!  Laughing

Ditto on the great job at sticking with it and racing.  Hey, a race is a race! 

I bet it's hard to figure pacing, though, when you're expecting a different event, so I wouldn't be too concerned about not going harder in the first run.  Great race, regardless!

Congrats

Matt

2013-09-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4861215

User image

Veteran
Maine
Nice job on your first podium.(with a hangover no less!)

It was a fun day out there despite the rain.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wallis Sands Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by GreenMtnLabbit
Views: 1283 Posts: 4

2012-10-04 7:47 AM cdkayak

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by cdkayak
Views: 1157 Posts: 4

2012-09-25 1:01 PM cdkayak

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by fmulcahy
Views: 840 Posts: 2

2012-09-24 7:25 PM GreenMtnLabbit

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by jonD81
Views: 1201 Posts: 6

2012-09-24 7:10 PM GreenMtnLabbit

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by mpento17
Views: 973 Posts: 2

2012-09-24 7:28 PM GreenMtnLabbit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 0
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : December 27, 2004
author : dwilliams
comments : 0
What? This isn't a duathlon?