General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain after ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-23 7:19 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Knee Pain after ride
Morning BT's and happy Monday!

I have a few questions for you, Last Friday I went riding with a friend, for the first time I can say I rode with a purpose, we did, 27.56 miles, with 3 short print intervals, etc etc. Now 3 days later I have some pain on my right knee. light limp could this be bad form, bad fit? He did point out a few things like I was not doing the full rotation (the push pull) but not really sure If I need to be re-fitted, or just need more saddle time .

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions to a newbie

2013-09-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: torombolo

User image

Subject: RE: Knee Pain after ride
I don't know what kind of fitting you paid for but you need to get an update.

If you've never been fitted before, it's time to drop $200-300 and get one.

Knee pain will never get better until you figure out what is causing it and change it.

2013-09-23 8:28 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by DanielG I don't know what kind of fitting you paid for but you need to get an update. If you've never been fitted before, it's time to drop $200-300 and get one. Knee pain will never get better until you figure out what is causing it and change it.

Before looking at something major like a re-fit, I would suggest looking at something minor like your cleat position.  Tiny changes in the placement of your cleats will have a profound impact on the position of something like your knee while pedaling.  Make some minor adjustments (it doesn't take much) and your knee will track differently during the pedal stroke and can potentially fix the issue.  Carry a tool to make the changes during your next ride if need be, or mess with it on the trainer.

2013-09-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

New user
Thanks for the replys, I will have to look into a fit, and or fiddle with the set up first.
2013-09-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by DanielG I don't know what kind of fitting you paid for but you need to get an update. If you've never been fitted before, it's time to drop $200-300 and get one. Knee pain will never get better until you figure out what is causing it and change it.

Before looking at something major like a re-fit, I would suggest looking at something minor like your cleat position. 

For ME, that means a fitter.

I know if I take it to my guy and say exactly what's going on, he'll probably have an idea about how to correct, alter, fix, tell me how to work around, it.

It's not all that difficult to get yourself into worse hurtin' so I'll still recommend a fitting before self-eval for people just starting out.

2013-09-23 9:19 AM

New user
Originally posted by torombolo

Morning BT's and happy Monday!

I have a few questions for you, Last Friday I went riding with a friend, for the first time I can say I rode with a purpose, we did, 27.56 miles, with 3 short print intervals, etc etc. Now 3 days later I have some pain on my right knee. light limp could this be bad form, bad fit? He did point out a few things like I was not doing the full rotation (the push pull) but not really sure If I need to be re-fitted, or just need more saddle time .

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions to a newbie

Might not be form or fit. Did you stretch after your ride?

Also, don't pull up on the pedals on the upswing. All you need to do is un-weight the pedal on the upswing.

2013-09-23 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by torombolo Morning BT's and happy Monday! I have a few questions for you, Last Friday I went riding with a friend, for the first time I can say I rode with a purpose, we did, 27.56 miles, with 3 short print intervals, etc etc. Now 3 days later I have some pain on my right knee. light limp could this be bad form, bad fit? He did point out a few things like I was not doing the full rotation (the push pull) but not really sure If I need to be re-fitted, or just need more saddle time . Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions to a newbie

This makes me suspicious that your problem might be a combination of both fit and fitness.  It's not uncommon to have form break down when you try to go too hard.  When you went hard did you go from spinning to mashing?  That would certainly put some different loads on your knees.

Mark

2013-09-23 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Originally posted by DanielG

It's not all that difficult to get yourself into worse hurtin' so I'll still recommend a fitting before self-eval for people just starting out.

I agree 100% as a newb I know I can worsen anything by lack of knowledge.

On the stretchingquestion, the reallity was NO, I did not strech before o after
Mark, what do you mean spinning to mashing. I did notice since we were riding low speed high cadence a few times cought my self bouncing up and down on the saddle. (is that it?)

Edited by torombolo 2013-09-23 9:52 AM
2013-09-23 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by torombolo
Originally posted by DanielG It's not all that difficult to get yourself into worse hurtin' so I'll still recommend a fitting before self-eval for people just starting out.
I agree 100% as a newb I know I can worsen anything by lack of knowledge. On the stretchingquestion, the reallity was NO, I did not strech before o after Mark, what do you mean spinning to mashing. I did notice since we were riding low speed high cadence a few times cought my self bouncing up and down on the saddle. (is that it?)

Spinning is pedaling at a relatively high cadence; you're pedaling faster, but with less force/revolution.  Mashing is pedaling at a lower cadence, but having to push with more force/revolution.  Mashing is generally harder on the knees.  My suspicion about your knee pain was that when you started to ride harder, your cadence dropped and the load on your knees increased.  

If you were bouncing out of the saddle while pedaling at a high cadence, then I'd guess you were in too low of a gear.

Everyone is a little different and it takes both time and trial & error to find your "sweet spot".  For me, that's riding at a sustained cadence of 80-85 rpm.  I actually try to focus more on cadence as opposed to speed during my training rides.

All that being said, your bike fit can always be fine-tuned.  You might try some small changes to see if they make any difference.  Wouldn't recommend any major changes without seeing a fitter.  Some LBS's are willing to take a look at your fit and make some suggestions without going through a major re-fit, particularly if you're a regular customer.  Ask around.

Mark

2013-09-23 3:02 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New user
That sounds like a plan!

Thank you
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain after ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Butt pain coincide with knee pain?

Started by smiletodayok
Views: 1545 Posts: 6

2012-12-18 1:58 AM smiletodayok

Medial Knee pain when riding outside

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 859 Posts: 4

2011-06-19 2:39 PM pschriver

Pain in ligament on back of knee while riding

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 691 Posts: 5

2009-03-03 6:05 PM Jeepguy2358

knee pain - left knee, right side

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 3333 Posts: 3

2008-01-20 12:14 AM badnews

knee pain

Started by funkeegato
Views: 954 Posts: 3

2003-08-04 6:42 PM Bubba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : May 21, 2010
comments : 2
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : August 12, 2008
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.