United States
5150 Triathlon Series
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 33s
Overall Rank = 82/605
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/68
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the hotel. Checked the email to see if there was any word about if the swim was going to happen, but the RD had been HORRIBLE about communication all weekend so no news was par for the course. Anyway jumped in the shower to wake up. Downed my applesauce, banana, but forgot the protein shake. Later when I was starving pre-race I figured out the satiety issues the protein shake fixes are real. Go figure. Anyway filled up the bottles full of Skratch, packed up my clothes that were scattered around the hotel room and headed for Moody Gardens.

When I got there I noticed I had opened my rear brake caliper too wide when I put the disc on. So I got body marked, dropped my bag at my rack and headed for the Bike Barn tent. It was there I heard the swim was cancelled long before any announcement was made. Pfft. Anyway it was announced we'd have no swim and the race would start TT style on the bike. While the swim is my weakest event I really needed the OWS practice and to be honest the chop wasn't that bad, but given the recent swim safety initiatives I wasn't too shocked. So the start went like this: Everyone stood by their bikes and every 5 seconds a race official released you to go. It was supposed to simulate you coming to T1 from the swim and leaving for the mount/dismount line. Not a huge fan, but it is what it is.
Event warmup:

Jogged the perimeter of transition a few times.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was cancelled.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

N/A
Bike
  • 1h 07m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I like this route. At the half distance it takes a little bit of discipline to not overcook the bike with the winds. At this distance you can kind of throw caution to the wind. The wind was bad with 20+ mph sustained winds and gusts over 30 and all I brought with me for wheels was the disc. I had never played in these conditions with the disc before. Not that bad really, a couple white knuckle moments, but overall an easy ride.
What would you do differently?:

Push a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Kinda stumbled around putting my shoes on. Not too happy.

Sit down and do everything quickly.
Run
  • 47m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. I haven't had any speed in my legs since IMTX. I think I just felt too comfortable at IM pace and mentally refused to push. I went into this race knowing pain would be the order of the day. Could I have gone faster? Yes. Am I happy with a 7:44 pace? Also a yes. Really felt good to run semi fast again.

Push my cadence.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. Hit the course to see if I couldn't find people I knew. When I struck out I hit the food tent and then went and cleaned up my transition area prior to awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Not a fan of the race management here. Maybe I'm just spoiled because all the RDs I've dealt with in the past, both local and national, have been very responsive. This RD sucked. The communication about the swim status was horrible. From what I understand from a few friends looking to volunteer they received nothing back on their inquiries. Nothing started on time. They had considered cancelling the swim for 24 hours at least prior to the race. To not have a contingency plan to get things started on time and not seem like they were flying by the seat of their pants is crazy. Just disappointed that they didn't seem to have their stuff together.

Last updated: 2013-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/68
Overall: 0/605
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:19 | 24.85 miles | 22.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/68
Overall: 64/605
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course is pretty much the same as the HIM in the same location with a little detour down a road parallel to the Seawall. I had thought maybe it would be a little sheltered from the wind but it wasn't.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:47:56 | 06.2 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/68
Overall: 138/605
Performance: Good
Course: Winding route around Moody Gardens
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2013-09-23 9:34 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: 5150 Galveston

2013-09-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4861705

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: 5150 Galveston
Congrats on qualifying for the Hy-Vee championship!

I agree communication stunk. I was also annoyed that they took 24 hours to put the race results up. There were no computers - all they had were some printouts they occasionally put on and wwhich everyone crowded around, so it was impossible really see.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5150 Galveston Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5150 Galveston

Started by Fmode11
Views: 842 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 7:02 AM Fmode11

5150 Galveston

Started by irontri4life
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2011-11-15 11:53 AM irontri4life