General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for the move... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-23 9:56 AM

User image

Subject: Preparing for the move...
So we are starting to make travel plans for our first trip to the gulf coast to begin the moving process. I'm thinking perhaps as part of the trip I may sneak in a race (there is a HITS race in Naples at that time!)

If any of you can give me any running/triathlon clubs, swims, events, stores, etc. that I as a triathlete need to feel part of the new place, please chime in!

Patti (still in NJ)

2013-09-23 1:18 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Preparing for the move...

I'm north of Naples in Sarasota, but here's a list off the top of my head:

Clubs:

Manasota Track Club

Sarasota Storm Tri Club

Bike/Triathlon/Running Shops:

Tempo Cyclery

Village Bikes

Ryder Bikes

Real Bikes (Venice)

Fleet Feet

Fit2Run

New Balance

All of the above have web sites that you can Google. 

There's a Oly/Sprint on Longboat Key on 10/20 (I'm doing the sprint).

Rev3 races in Venice on 11/10.

Hope this helps.

Mark

2013-09-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Thank you! This helps a lot! I'm more concerned about missing my triathlon family here in NJ than I am my biological!
2013-09-24 7:53 AM

User image

Regular
I am in Ft. Myers a little north of Naples.

In Naples:
Naples Area Triathletes https://www.facebook.com/NaplesAreaTriathletes
Gulf Coast Runners http://gcrunner.org/
and Naples Velo has some biking events http://naplesvelo.ning.com/

in Ft. Myers:
Ft Myers Track Club http://www.ftmyerstrackclub.com/

There is also T2 Aquatics http://www.t2aquatics.com/Home.jsp?team=flt2 ( Although I prefer to OWS in our beautiful Gulf!)

If you are going to be in the area on December 9, I HIGHLY recommend http://www.everyonerides.org/ , Tom Danielson, Phil Gaimon and Greg Lemond have all announced they will be attending this year.
2013-09-24 8:57 AM
in reply to: isyphoto

User image

Thank you photo!!! I really appreciate all the links! We will be flying into Ft. Myers.

Patti
2013-09-24 8:59 AM

User image

BTW, what is swimming in the gulf like? Can you just jump in and go? I would love to just be able to have my fiancé follow along in the kayak and just swim!!!!

I'm really looking forward to getting down there and seeing it all. My fiancé has his heart so set on it but until I see and get a "feel" for it I just have a little niggling feeling of doubt. If I can feel like I can submerge myself in the swim/bike/run lifestyle I will be happy.

Thank you again!

Patti

2013-09-24 11:14 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida
SWF is quite calm in the morning. You can definitely just jump in and swim. You might even have some company. Dolphins like to follow small vessels and will speed by swimmers.
2013-09-24 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
Right now the gulf temp is around 84*-86*

I swim at Ft. Myers Beach. specifically from Bowditch Point to Ft. Myers Beach Pier. It is about a mile in distance. For the most part, unless there is a weird tide, the water is pretty clear and for the most part I am swimming in about waist to chest deep water. This keeps me out of range of an boats and my wife is able to walk along the beach as I swim and she is easily able to keep an eye on me. I hate swimming alone. I have no concerns about my ability, just following what I was taught as a little kid!

As far as Kayaking, there are some fantastic spots you can get to and a ridiculous number of options.

I am sure it has been said before, but all our hills are bridges and the wind is what you fight!

Coming from NJ, are you part of the Hertz Corporate move we keep hearing about?
2013-09-24 11:53 AM

User image

Oh wow, it really sounds marvelous and I'm sure I will love it! No, we are not part of the Hertz move, just two crazy people in their 40's who have had their fill of the NJ rat race and cold winters. I am a legal assistant but will be willing to do whatever kind of work I can find.

I hope to have more time for s/b/r!!!

Patti
2013-09-25 8:17 AM

User image

Regular
Well the bike and run portion are definitely year round. The swim, well in the winter the gulf does get a bit chilly and requires a wetsuit. Heated pools are commonplace, so it is just finding the right pool for those few months. Best of luck with the move.
2013-10-05 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Patti, if memory serves, you should be in the Punta Gorda area, no? Hit up the good folks at Foot Landing for Wednesday evening pub runs. They are members of the Zoomers running/triathlon club and put on a number of area races. As for swimming, there are a number of areas. Actually, one of the ladies at The Foot Landing is a tri coach, so a conversation with her may put your mind at ease. And the kayak support is always a good idea. 

What's taking you so long?!?!?!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for the move... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Moving to Miami, Kendall

Started by globalchaos
Views: 1456 Posts: 18

2009-08-14 10:34 AM AngeloS

It's semi-official...I'm moving to FL.

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1887 Posts: 18

2009-01-02 4:29 PM Mimir98

Moving to Fort Lauderdale area

Started by gator416
Views: 1445 Posts: 25

2008-03-14 10:56 AM GatorGirl22

Just moved to Tampa Bay

Started by shaunhancock
Views: 924 Posts: 8

2008-01-22 10:25 AM Blue Moc

Moving to Tallahassee...

Started by davealt
Views: 706 Posts: 1

2006-07-18 12:16 AM davealt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 0
I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.