General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning revisited Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-23 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Spinning revisited
Getting ready for a sprint next weekend so I had a 30 mile bike ride planned for yesterday. Except the weather did not cooperate and I did not want to ride that far in the rain (been there, done that). My daughter was going to the gym so I tagged along and did a spin class. My gym has recently redone the spin studio, got new bikes, and this was a new instructor for me. This class was great and I remembered how much I like spinning. I have been very devoted to my trainer when unable to ride on the road and will continue to focus the majority of my bike time there, but methinks I will add in some more spinning to spice things up. It is clearly not a substitute for bike time, but a darn good workout (if you have a good instructor).

2013-09-23 10:28 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: Spinning revisited
I know a lot of folks look down on spinning as a form of triathlon training, but I have to say it helped me immensely over the winter. I struggled with motivation on the trainer, so ended up hitting the spin classes for the majority of my indoor cycling. Just being in a room full of others seems to push you to work a lot harder. I made a point to take the classes taught by road cyclists (which focused a lot more on interval training) and grabbed a thick towel so that I could position it as aero pads and get in a somewhat aero position. I had a solid base when I started up my winter tri series in January, and I really owe it to spinning.
2013-09-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: erinrockrun

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I've used spinning for training as well.  I don't think it replaces a solid bike work out but you can get a good ride on it none the less.  The gym that I go to uses Les Mills RPM.  I modify my workout a bit when in the class, I often up the resistance as opposed to going to a super high cadence, it worked for me over the last winter.  I plan on using trainer road more this winter) but will still do my Wednesday spin classes.

2013-09-23 12:12 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I think spinning class is a good way to mix it up.  Our tri club organizes a spin class before spin class a few times during the winter months.  Basically we show up an hour before spin class, sign up for the real spin class, and then do a double dose of spin.  Even better is that we compete against each other during spin class.  Crank it up and race it out.  No reductions on pressure mid set and we work the cadence up.

I don't there is anything wrong with a spinning class.  Especially if you are looking for a high intesity quick bike workout over the noon hour.

2013-09-23 12:16 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Spinning is like 90% dependent on the teacher for me.

I trained almost solely for my HIM last weekend in spin classes with a handful of outdoor long rides sprinkled here and there and I finished ahead of my projected time (I think I biked in like 3:34?).

Texas summer can be brutal for outdoor exercise and it is hard to fit in a bike after sunrise/before work, so I was usually faced with the choice of a 100 degree bikes in my city's busy roads or spin class.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning revisited Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Whats your "spin" on spin classes

Started by elena verdegaal
Views: 1766 Posts: 21

2012-02-20 6:36 PM jobaxas

Spinning (revisited)..and a shout out to my wife....

Started by Rad-Onc PA
Views: 2545 Posts: 5

2008-06-02 6:00 PM runspingirl

Tri Nightmares Revisited

Started by irondog
Views: 599 Posts: 2

2006-04-24 11:11 AM DerekL

Spin, Spin, Spin.

Started by Freenthec
Views: 1230 Posts: 9

2005-03-09 8:12 PM qtownmom

The original argument revisited: Pages: 1 2

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 1926 Posts: 38

2004-08-30 2:04 PM skeedawg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.

date : February 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Many athletes face the challenge of putting in quality bike time during the winter. Spin classes are a popular way to meet this challenge. Spin classes can easily be worked into your own schedule.
date : October 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on blister treatment, off season training, use of trainers instead of the road, pros and cons to spin classes, stair running, race recovery importance and real IM nutrition strategies.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 4
How important is it to train on the actual road vs. treadmill and on a real bike vs. spinning classes?
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I don’t currently have a bike, or the funds to acquire one. I have recently gotten into spinning. Is this a good way to train for the biking portion until I can get a real bike?
date : December 27, 2004
author : Don Magie
Introduction to our new cycling writer, Don Magie.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Don Magie
Known for its brutal cadences, nasty sprints and 12-minute hills, the spin class seems to be the perfect substitute for a raunchy ride outside. But is it?