General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long term effects of running with hip osteoarthritis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-23 11:28 AM

User image

Subject: Long term effects of running with hip osteoarthritis
Hi all,

I am 33yo and have hip osteoarthritis. I started running 2 months ago, and globally, the weight loss lessened my pain.

Sometimes though, it can hurt like a b**** and running over it just makes it worse. Last week, my hip was just begging me to stop after 300ft, but I pushed 5 miles on it. I was in pain for the next two days, but am now back to normal and running.

I don't mind that "occasional" pain and can deal with it, but am scared of any long term effects of running on it.

Any knowledgeable people willing to share their opinions?

Thanks,

Simo

PS: I also started swimming and biking but this is not relevant to the thread. :-)

2013-09-24 6:20 AM
in reply to: simobk

User image

Subject: RE: Long term effects of running with hip osteoarthritis
what does your doctor say? i would be engaging with him/her on a regular basis following the diagnosis, as you get stuff figured out - feedback to them (and others - physical therapy etc) - will only improve the advice/recommendations that they are able to give you

but simple rule - if you are in so much pain it hurts to run, then don't run...if you have to take two days off from running because you "pushed through the pain" - then you could be/likely are doing serious damange to your body and you may hurt yourself to a point where you can no longer run...
2013-09-26 1:24 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Hey austhokie,

First of all, thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, where I live, it takes months to get an appointment. Knowing my plans to run an IronMan in 18 months, I know I will get a lot of injuries, so I asked for an appointment a while ago. I will be seeing the doctor next month. Hopefully, I will be able to get faster appointments after this first one.

As for the "pushing through the pain", it happened just that one time. I am in a little bit of pain almost every morning, but it disappears after a little moving and stretching. Usually, 2 hours after leaving bed, there's not much left. The pain I had last time used to happen maybe 2-3 times a month, but it was the first time it happened since I started running.

I really want to do this IronMan in 18 months, it's the thing that got me moving, it's the goal I fixed. I don't want to abandon this goal, it would hurt a lot mentally.

If I will end up destroying my future health, I will of course stop running, but I just want to be sure that there is no other option.

Thanks again for your answer!

Simo
2013-09-26 2:18 PM
in reply to: simobk

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by simobk Hey austhokie, First of all, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, where I live, it takes months to get an appointment. Knowing my plans to run an IronMan in 18 months, I know I will get a lot of injuries, so I asked for an appointment a while ago. I will be seeing the doctor next month. Hopefully, I will be able to get faster appointments after this first one. As for the "pushing through the pain", it happened just that one time. I am in a little bit of pain almost every morning, but it disappears after a little moving and stretching. Usually, 2 hours after leaving bed, there's not much left. The pain I had last time used to happen maybe 2-3 times a month, but it was the first time it happened since I started running. I really want to do this IronMan in 18 months, it's the thing that got me moving, it's the goal I fixed. I don't want to abandon this goal, it would hurt a lot mentally. If I will end up destroying my future health, I will of course stop running, but I just want to be sure that there is no other option. Thanks again for your answer! Simo

It kind of depends on how bad it is and how you want to use your hip miles.  If it is already arthritic at 33 you are going to use up your hip miles quicker than some one with onset at an older age.  I would commit to a run walk program and talk with your doc about it all.  Also if you are a candidate for a hip arthroscopy to lessen any impingement you may have (You may not but its something to ask) and symptoms.  Ia lsowould rather see someone be more active and have some discomfort than sit on the couch.  Keep your weight down in a normal for yourheight range, keep your core strong too.  Its a degenerative problem so the dye is cast.  You will probably hear "don't run" just to warn you

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long term effects of running with hip osteoarthritis Rss Feed