General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-24 10:03 AM
in reply to: snm_tri

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever!
Originally posted by snm_tri

Hello Everyone,

I am Sarah M. I wanted to thank everyone with such nice comments, it means a lot to me to hear that. I understand that some are concerned with me being so young and racing long distance triathlons and I completely understand that. I understand the importance of proper training, nutrition and recovery as well. I am an exercise physiology major at WVU and I love doing long distance tri's. I am not looking to do anything more than enjoy the sport that is triathlon. I have been competing since I was 13 years old doing races of all distances including half ironmans. I plan on doing them for a very long time because of the sheer enjoyment I get from competing.

Thank you all!
Sarah

I think there should be some sort of age restriction on entry. But only becasue being overtaken by teenagers is the worst Especially ones who look like they are enjoying themselves.

2013-09-24 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Originally posted by snm_tri

Hello Everyone,

I am Sarah M. I wanted to thank everyone with such nice comments, it means a lot to me to hear that. I understand that some are concerned with me being so young and racing long distance triathlons and I completely understand that. I understand the importance of proper training, nutrition and recovery as well. I am an exercise physiology major at WVU and I love doing long distance tri's. I am not looking to do anything more than enjoy the sport that is triathlon. I have been competing since I was 13 years old doing races of all distances including half ironmans. I plan on doing them for a very long time because of the sheer enjoyment I get from competing.

Thank you all!
Sarah

Huge congrats, Sarah! Young or older, this takes huge dedication and huge effort. I applaud you!! Keep enjoying the journey
-Erica.
2013-09-24 10:48 AM

User image

Congratulations on a terrific achievement!

And for all you well meaning folks who want to tell this young lady what she and others should or shouldn't do ... it must be nice to know all the answers. I'm sorry but this really makes me annoyed. Food for thought - It wasn't all that long ago that smart, intelligent well meaning men thought that women weren't physically able run marathons. Huh, go figure turns out they were wrong. But you know they were probably the only people ever to be wrong about something in exercise science/physiology/nutrition I mean it's not like this stuff changes all the time or anything.

2013-09-24 11:19 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-24 11:31 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by miamiamyCongratulations on a terrific achievement! And for all you well meaning folks who want to tell this young lady what she and others should or shouldn't do ... it must be nice to know all the answers. I'm sorry but this really makes me annoyed. Food for thought - It wasn't all that long ago that smart, intelligent well meaning men thought that women weren't physically able run marathons. Huh, go figure turns out they were wrong. But you know they were probably the only people ever to be wrong about something in exercise science/physiology/nutrition I mean it's not like this stuff changes all the time or anything.
. Well, I wouldn't tell this person what to do.... And the vast majority on BT did NOT tell her what to do. if she was my daughter I would give guidance as any decent parent would, and it might be to not do IM at a young age, but I'm not sure as I'd evaluate the entire picture etc. I feel sort of bad for her as it's become fodder on a public forum and she didn't start the thread! Only thing I contest in your statement is that your analogy is not entirely apt. Adult women being held out of marathons was/ is straight out wrong. However, This person is not a legal adult yet and there are many activities that *we* as a society don't let her do like vote, drink alcohol etc. we can debate the reasonableness of those rules as well, but under the law 17yos don't get to do everything adults do....and I'm just not sure that equates to the same injustice as ADULT women not voting or running marathons in the past etc. either way, kudos to the girl on setting a goal and achieving it! Might or might not be what I would recommend for my daughters, but I'm quite sure that many 17yos are not as goal oriented and admirable as this girl is. Impressive!

This is one great post.  Thank you, Fred.

And congratulations to the young lady on an AWESOME (yet concerning) accomplishment!

2013-09-24 11:38 AM

Thank you Amy, I agree that the comments were probably written with good intentions and it's much appreciated. It is true that we do not know everything there is to know about fitness/nutrition/physiology because it is relatively new in comparison to other topics of research. We are making progress in research on these topics due to an increased emphasis on staying active and healthy. I look forward to eventually working with clients and being able to show them what can become of dedication and hard work no matter what obstacle may be facing them. I was not being pushed by anyone but myself and know my limits when it comes to putting physical stress to my body. I don't agree that every teenager should go out and do an ironman distance race, but I do not feel as if it is an issue if I choose to do so based on my knowledge of my mental and physical strengths and weaknesses. I do not plan on becoming a pro triathlete because my focus is mainly on school right now. If the opportunity to become a pro ever comes to me I would welcome it, but I would not be discouraged if it does not. Thanks again for the feedback!

Sarah

2013-09-24 12:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Congratulations!! That's a great accomplishment.

I'm glad you did it while you had the chance. I think many people look back on missed opportunities in life...you had one here and you took it. Great work.
2013-09-24 12:12 PM
in reply to: 0

South Texas
Sarah M. You're awesome!

Edited by jwrichey 2013-09-24 12:13 PM
2013-09-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Originally posted by GAUG3

Originally posted by Fred D

Note: I also rarely let any of my coached athletes sign-up for an IM race until after their 3rd full season of doing triathlons (regardless of age). it's not that they can't physically complete the distance, that not the problem. It's about maintaining a balanced life and not suffering through the course and then having a bad taste in your mouth about the sport.

How does that work?

ie; How do you 'NOT LET' someone sign up for an IM?

Do you fire them if they want to do it anyways?

Interesting....

Very...

It's actually fairly straightforward. When an athlete comes to me for coaching, we sit down and have a conversation about short and long term goals. We BOTH have to be on-board with that before coaching begins. Just like I won't coach someone who wants to do IM as a one and done thing and then get out of the sport. I, personally, want to make sure that people STAY off the couch and in the sport for many years.

I have, more than once, told an athlete that they just wasted their entry fee when signing up for an IM. I have also had an athlete switch to the HIM because their training was not where it should be. Could they have finished the IM? Yes, of course. But it would not have been a pleasant experience and when trained properly, IM should not be a painful experience. Hard yes...not painful.

Coaching is a 2 way street, not just the athlete telling the coach what they want. Just like it's not the coach dictating things. It's a conversation started in the beginning and continuing throughout the many years.

I've not hired athletes and I've had athletes not hire me. No harm, No foul.

Does that explain it?
2013-09-24 12:56 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Originally posted by miamiamy

Congratulations on a terrific achievement!

And for all you well meaning folks who want to tell this young lady what she and others should or shouldn't do ... it must be nice to know all the answers. I'm sorry but this really makes me annoyed. Food for thought - It wasn't all that long ago that smart, intelligent well meaning men thought that women weren't physically able run marathons. Huh, go figure turns out they were wrong. But you know they were probably the only people ever to be wrong about something in exercise science/physiology/nutrition I mean it's not like this stuff changes all the time or anything.

First things first: This has NOTHING to do with the fact that she is female. I'd say the exact same thing if it were a male. It's purely about age.

I compliment Sarah on her accomplishment. It's a huge achievement. Kudos. I was simply stating that if she wanted to appropriately progress to the elite level, which she does not by her own account, she has gone about it incorrectly.

I don't profess to know all of the answers, not even close. But I do know that there is a reason that every development progression for elite athletes and every governing body has age appropriate distances. It's because of how the body adapts to speed vs endurance. It's simple biology really. But then again I guess all those top level athletes and all those studies could be wrong. And yes, there are anomalies on occasion. But they are rare, hence the term anomaly

And to the poster who said someone told him he was too old to do Triathlons:

The only age that you're too old to do Tri's is when you're dead. Simple as that!
2013-09-24 1:22 PM
in reply to: fubar44

Congrats Sarah!

Now I am off to find the thread regarding her getting an Mdot tattoo

2013-09-24 1:26 PM

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
What I am curious to know is from those of you that are worried/concerned of the age at which she competed, would you have the same argument if she competed in an official "IRONMAN" branded race the day she turned 18? Technically she would be of legal age to compete in an IRONMAN branded race according to their rule book but she would only be 40 days older than what she was when she competed in ChesapeakeMan. So is someone who just turned 18 too young to compete in IRONMAN races? Because if you say that 18 is fine to compete then why would it not be fine for someone who is 17 years 10 months and 20 days to compete. Trust me, biologically your body goes through no changes in the 40 days that it would take Sarah to be "legal" according to IRONMAN.

So is Sarah the youngest female to do an IM distance race? I have seen no evidence presented thus far that says that she is not. And to those that are saying that she was too young, what is 40 days really? Your arguments would be moot if she had waited 40 days to compete. I say let her have her time in the spot light and enjoy the ride instead of raining on her parade. Anyone wanting to try to accomplish a feat like this at her age has to be extremely focused and driven in order to balance everything life is throwing at you at that age. I know all of us have been there and know what is like so I applaud her despite what some of you are saying. Keep it up Sarah!!!

Edited by fubar44 2013-09-24 1:32 PM
2013-09-24 1:38 PM

NC
Originally posted by fubar44

What I am curious to know is from those of you that are worried/concerned of the age at which she competed, would you have the same argument if she competed in an official "IRONMAN" branded race the day she turned 18?

Yes.

2013-09-24 1:49 PM

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
So what should be the minimum age for someone to be able to compete in iron-distance races then? I personally think it varies on a case by case basis. I know by the age of 17/18 my body was perfectly capable of competing in such a distance. And too be honest I was in much better shape back then than I am now. If I was into triathlons at that age then yes I would have competed as soon as I was allowed. And to be even more honest I probably would have done better back then than I would if I went out right now and tried to do an IRONMAN

Edited by fubar44 2013-09-24 1:50 PM
2013-09-24 1:50 PM

NC

So what should be the minimum age for someone to be able to compete in iron-distance races then?

26yo.

2013-09-24 2:05 PM

Originally posted by snm_tri Thank you Amy, I agree that the comments were probably written with good intentions and it's much appreciated. It is true that we do not know everything there is to know about fitness/nutrition/physiology because it is relatively new in comparison to other topics of research. We are making progress in research on these topics due to an increased emphasis on staying active and healthy. I look forward to eventually working with clients and being able to show them what can become of dedication and hard work no matter what obstacle may be facing them. I was not being pushed by anyone but myself and know my limits when it comes to putting physical stress to my body. I don't agree that every teenager should go out and do an ironman distance race, but I do not feel as if it is an issue if I choose to do so based on my knowledge of my mental and physical strengths and weaknesses. I do not plan on becoming a pro triathlete because my focus is mainly on school right now. If the opportunity to become a pro ever comes to me I would welcome it, but I would not be discouraged if it does not. Thanks again for the feedback! Sarah

Thanks for sharing information about yourself and your journey.  Great to hear.  It sounds like this experience will be something that really helps your schoolwork.

As for the whole age thing...meh...whatever.  It's not something I would advise to younger people, but I don't think it's the worst thing in the world.  There are tons of 30-50 year old people doing IMs that are taking much more risk by attempting an IM given their health conditions.  If we're going to be critical about someone because of their age lets be critical of everyone regarding their weight, medical conditions, prior injuries, family and job commitments, etc. 

2013-09-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: Jason N

NC
Originally posted by Jason N

• .. lets be critical of everyone regarding their weight, medical conditions, prior injuries, family and job commitments, etc. 

• Do you want to start the thread?

2013-09-24 2:19 PM
    in reply to: Jason N

Congratulations. If people never pushed boundaries, listened to the naysayers and never took a risk, nothing would ever get done.

I'm as impressed with Sarah's post on here as I am the IM finish!

Given what you've achieved so far athletically and how mature you come across on here I think you're going to be one to watch. Enjoy the journey!
    2013-09-24 2:33 PM

Originally posted by Goosedog
    Originally posted by Jason N ... lets be critical of everyone regarding their weight, medical conditions, prior injuries, family and job commitments, etc. 
    Do you want to start the thread?

Nah...it probably has too much potential.  Besides, my horse is on vacation.

Edited by Jason N 2013-09-24 2:34 PM
    2013-09-24 2:45 PM

Elite
    Spokane, WA

Originally posted by Dan-L Congratulations. If people never pushed boundaries, listened to the naysayers and never took a risk, nothing would ever get done. I'm as impressed with Sarah's post on here as I am the IM finish! Given what you've achieved so far athletically and how mature you come across on here I think you're going to be one to watch. Enjoy the journey!

x2. Thanks for taking the time to post here, Sarah. Congratulations and welcome to BT!

Edited by zed707 2013-09-24 2:45 PM
    2013-09-24 2:52 PM
    in reply to: Goosedog

Regular
    Evansville, Indiana

So what should be the minimum age for someone to be able to compete in iron-distance races then?

26yo.

Wow I still wouldn't be able to do one for a little over a year if that was the rule

2013-09-24 3:14 PM

Expert
    Fernandina Beach, FL

Because if you say that 18 is fine to compete then why would it not be fine for someone who is 17 years 10 months and 20 days to compete.

I tried that argument with an officer when I was in school at the age of 20. Didn't work then
    2013-09-24 3:38 PM
    in reply to: Goosedog

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

Originally posted by fubar44 So what should be the minimum age for someone to be able to compete in iron-distance races then?
    26yo.

why this arbitrary age? at 23 I felt like my body handled it just fine.

2013-09-24 3:54 PM
    in reply to: dmiller5

Champion
    Austin, Texas
    Congratulations on your accomplishment Sarah! 
    2013-09-24 4:41 PM

When I heard of this news I was stoked (140.6 miles in my book is 140.6 miles, whether it has a brand on it or not)! I have witnessed Ms. Sarah compete in several races due to the fact that I live in the same area. Let me just say that she is incredibly inspiring. Her smile is super contagious and is one of the few people who have motivated me to accomplish my goals and perhaps go to the gym a little more As a nurse it has sadly become a constant to see a child or young adult who is sedentary, overweight, and unhealthy. So yes I do believe that it is perfectly acceptable for a 17 year old to compete in this race, in fact its a breath of fresh air. Who cares if she gets burnt out, it's her life to do as she pleases and whatever makes her happy. Sarah do not feel defeated by what others think because there are going to be discouraging people in all aspects of life and it's what you make of it that determines greatness. I pity the ones who find time out of their day to log on to this thread and feel the need to say anything but words of praise to a 17 yr old girl, to that I say don't quit your day job!

Ps: I will be the first in line to get this girls autograph
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever! Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Berlin Marathon: new world record

Started by BigDH
    Views: 2000 Posts: 24

2011-09-27 7:50 PM gerald12

Ironman Austria - New World Record!

Started by dbrawders
    Views: 3566 Posts: 22

2011-07-03 7:55 PM southwestmba

World record holder to skip Olympic marathon

Started by the bear
    Views: 1644 Posts: 22

2008-03-12 7:56 AM Nelg

Blind Triathlete Aaron Scheidies Breaks World Record

Started by CitySky
    Views: 956 Posts: 10

2007-10-23 7:13 AM run4yrlif

World Record Attempt -24 hour Treadmill

Started by michlmead
    Views: 865 Posts: 3

2007-03-04 11:03 AM Rich01
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 31, 2011
    author : Mandoline
    comments : 6
    The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : May 20, 2008
    author : mikericci
    comments : 0
    I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : Team BT
    comments : 1
    Tim DeBoom is a 2 time World Ironman Champion. In the following interview he answers several of our members questions.

date : December 13, 2004
    author : trilover
    comments : 1
    TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.
    date : September 4, 2004
    author : Daniel Clout
    Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
    There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : malvey
    Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.