General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stillwater, Minnesota
United States
Front Runner
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 44m 50s
Overall Rank = 88/170
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/31
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast, cup of coffee and off to the race. Missy was racing this morning as well so we left a little earlier... although the race site is only 10 minutes from our house.
Event warmup:

Transition was already packed and I forgot the pump, so I took both bikes over to the mechanic and helped myself to one of theirs. I saw an old friend of mine across from me and chatted with him. Then Steve in a Speedo came over to chat while I was getting my area tidied up. About 10 minutes before start time I walked down the stairs to the start area and got a short warm up swim in.
Swim
  • 38m 36s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure how accurate this time is. Other than getting caught inside the buoys and having to swim back on-course, I thought I had a great swim. I saw that the timing mat was at the top of the hill righto before T1. Maybe that could be part of it?
What would you do differently?:

Not sure.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Decent transition
Bike
  • 2h 59m 27s
  • 54 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I posted my actual time primarily because that's officially what I finished with. However, part of racing is being prepared for things like flat tires, which I experienced for the first time in a race or even on a training ride. I didn't have a tube or CO2 cartridge for the race, and I definitely thought there was a chance that my day was over at mile 7 of the 54 mile course. I waited about 10 minutes until a guy finally pulled over and gave me a tube and his CO2 kit. (Thank you Mr. 475! I didn't see your number in the results page, but I owe you one!) another 8 minutes later I am wiping my hands in the grass and jumping on the bike. I spent the next 45 minutes trying to catch the jerk who wouldn't stop because he was in my age group. I paid for that later, but I sincerely hope I caught him on the run somewhere.
I did manage to remember to stop my watch when I pulled over after the flat. My total bike time was 2:36:18... almost 21mph for the race.

I can't say that I would carry a tube on the bike for a race.
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

Had to go potty! Take about 75 seconds off of that time and I'm good!

Totally not peeing my pants on a HIM distance race. I was already out of a podium spot so might as well be comfy on the run.
Run
  • 120m 52s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I'd suffer out there on the run. My legs were "hot" from trying to make some time up on the bike. I just wanted to finish this race with a half-decent run. My one mistake was making the decision to walk the water station at mile 5. This made it easy to walk the next 8, and a little in between.

Push through the water stations and keep the pace I set for the first 5 miles. I was on track for a 7:48 and fell apart once I walked.
Post race
Warm down:

I waited for Missy at the finish line while slamming a couple bottles of water. It was a chilly day so I needed to stretch out as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training was not a huge focus this year with a new home, a baby, a new job and other distractions. Let's not forget a blown tire either.

Event comments:

It's a Randy race. Not bad, not great, but just Randy.

Last updated: 2013-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:36 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/31
Overall: 0/170
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Twice around a triangle course with the buoys on your right.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:59:27 | 54 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/31
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two rounds of a 27 mile course. Decent roads, but the weather played into the course. Strong wind with gusts pulled some time down. But... that wasn't the major issue I had that morning.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:120:52 | 13.2 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/31
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with good rollers from mile 1-3 and 10-13.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-23 4:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-09-24 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4862135

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course
That sucks that you flatted. That and crashing are always my worst fears on race day
2013-09-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: peteweb55403

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course
I'm trying to figure out why you said "I can't say that I would carry a tube on the bike for a race. " in how you'd do the bike differently.  You mean you WOULD carry a tube in the future, right?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course

Started by rdailey1
Views: 1092 Posts: 1

2013-03-30 8:54 AM rdailey1

Started by peteweb55403
Views: 1055 Posts: 2

2012-09-13 6:24 PM silentcs42

Started by silentcs42
Views: 1049 Posts: 2

2012-09-12 7:18 PM peteweb55403

Started by silentcs42
Views: 1189 Posts: 3

2011-09-13 8:32 PM shaunjamison

Started by shaunjamison
Views: 1678 Posts: 4

2011-09-15 2:00 PM shaunjamison
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.