General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PF (Plantar Fasciatis) experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-23 6:39 PM

User image

Subject: PF (Plantar Fasciatis) experience
Question:

On 2 of my long runs I've experienced pain that feels almost like a bruise on the very top of the arch (basically the side of my foot) on the left.

When I used the almighty google, I got lots of references to Plantar Fasciatis. However, everyone describes that pain as being in the heel.

The good news is that it goes away within 2 days and - ironically enough - only seems to happen in my super cushy, all-conquering Hokas.

So, if nothing else I'm probably going to have to retire my $160 cure for all running aches. They do a marvelous job of preventing DOMS in my legs but obviously an injury is way worse than some muscle soreness.

Has anyone experienced running pain in the arch of their foot? Is it PF? Did arch support maybe help it? Removing arch support? I was considering removing the insoles on the Hokas.

Understood that the wisdom of the forum is not a replacement for an actual MD. However, I've got plenty of shoes that don't cause this particular ache so I will probably choose to just run in those shoes if I can't figure it out, rather than spend time & money with a doctor just to try and salvage running time with one pair of shoes.

If someone's got experience with this it might streamline my trouble shooting.

2013-09-23 7:04 PM
in reply to: adelsud

User image

Subject: RE: PF (Plantar Fasciatis) experience
if its only your Hokas, I would say it likely isn't PF - I've been dealing with it for the last year and while it was exacerbated with runnign shoes that didn't fit properly, its more prevasive than that...but if the hokas aggrevate it, i wouldn't wear them
2013-09-23 7:26 PM

User image

Pro

Doesn't sound like PF.  PF is on the bottom of your foot, not the side.  

either where the fascia connects to the heel bone, or in the middle. 

good thing- as PF is insidious. 

2013-09-24 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Oddly enough, I had what sounds like similar pain when I ran in Hokas as well.  It was on the side of my foot, where the arch is the highest -- but it felt more like pain in/between the bones, than soft tissue.

I retired (read: returned) the Hokas and have been running in different shoes since then and the pain has disappeared.  I ran in the Hokas for three weeks and it hurt basically the whole time.  My thought was that the Hokas were wide enough that my foot slid around in them too much, resulting in the pain.  Not sure if it's the same case for you or not.

2013-09-24 1:48 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Berkley
I agree with other posters, if it is only when you wear the one pair of shoes then it probably isn't PF. I have switched my shoes to a minimalist style shoe and that has helped a lot. The cheapest method to help with that is to get a tennis ball, take off your shoes and roll your foot on the ball. This is the best feeling (a little pain, but in a good way) stretch/massage I have found for my feet. Definitely roll your foot on the arch over the ball.

Also, this is great to use for any knots in your back, just set it behind your back on a chair and move your back around
2013-09-24 3:45 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Oddly enough, I had what sounds like similar pain when I ran in Hokas as well.  It was on the side of my foot, where the arch is the highest -- but it felt more like pain in/between the bones, than soft tissue.

I retired (read: returned) the Hokas and have been running in different shoes since then and the pain has disappeared.  I ran in the Hokas for three weeks and it hurt basically the whole time.  My thought was that the Hokas were wide enough that my foot slid around in them too much, resulting in the pain.  Not sure if it's the same case for you or not.

Yep - side where arch is highest. I've run in Altra Torins and Newtons - the Newtons being notoriously hard on feet and felt no arch pain. It starts to dissipate within a few hours of taking the things off and is completely gone within 48 hours.

Sad. I really enjoyed the complete absence of jarring sensation. They weren't very fast, they were horribly ugly, but they were oh so soft.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PF (Plantar Fasciatis) experience Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need slipper type shoes for Plantar Fasciitis

Started by nancylee
Views: 1259 Posts: 6

2007-10-04 1:14 PM nancylee

Plantar Fasciitis Pages: 1 2

Started by johnvick
Views: 3991 Posts: 30

2007-11-12 8:02 PM SevenZulu

Plantar's wart? help

Started by schmize
Views: 984 Posts: 12

2006-07-21 1:16 AM gocorey

Plantar Fasciitis - Two pairs of socks?

Started by Reflection46n2
Views: 3100 Posts: 9

2006-02-02 9:32 AM klbarrus

arch pains/plantar fasciitis

Started by trilover
Views: 1036 Posts: 6

2004-06-18 9:58 AM jamma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : December 28, 2009
comments : 3
I have had Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for 5 years, orthotics have finally helped where I can run again. Are there recommendations beyond ice and stretching?
date : October 28, 2009
comments : 1
I think I have Plantar Faciitis? The bottom of my foot is sore in front of the heel in the mornings. It sort of gets better during the day, I can run without increasing in pain.

date : June 23, 2009
comments : 0
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?
date : June 4, 2008
The bottom of my feet, more specifically the arches, have been sore off an on for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried? Anything I should do to prevent this?

date : March 6, 2008
Often pain occurs with the first steps of the day or at the beginning of a run when that tight fascia gets stretched and microtears occur. But pain can also develop with prolonged standing and worsen.
date : September 3, 2006
Heel pain, especially in runners, is usually due to plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a band of connective tissue on the bottom of your foot that stretches from the heel to the ball of the foot

date : May 16, 2005
comments : 1
I have bone spurs in my left heel. It's painful first thing in the morning. Sometimes my heel will bother me running, or on the bike. I feel as if the heel is holding me back.