General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Lake Tahoe recap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-24 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: Ironman Lake Tahoe recap
I get to wear one of the DFL capes. Last girl in AG 40-44 to bring it home at 16:56:33. My day got quickly more brutal when I kicked an underwater rock a couple minutes into the start and broke 2 toes. With the water so cold and my feet numb from the beach I just thought that I would have a couple more black toe nails. I also had unfinished business after DNF'ing in the swim at St. George last year so I wore my IMSG swim cap under my Tahoe one.

My swim, after the breaking of my toes, went fine. It was pretty amazing rolling for a breath and seeing snow capped mountains! Getting out was brutal and cold. I skipped the strippers and went straight to the tent and holy mother of god it was insane. It was a standard IM size womens change tent which is fine if the weather is nice, but not for everyone doing a full change. Naked, cold shivering women covering every inch, bike cloths everywhere. But got it done in about 20 mins.

The bike, oh the bike was cold. I had full winter gear on but was still cold, warmed on the climbs only to lose it on the decents. I'm a strong climber so passed alot of folks. Second lap when the wind picked up my asthma decided it wasnt going to behave. Slowed back and just held on for the ride. Got in at 5:05pm. The latest I've ever come in on an IM by 2 hours!!

The run was mostly a speed walk. Stopped to see a medic at mile 3 because I had yet to even look at my toes. On the bike as long as I didnt wiggle them I was fine. The run was eye opening! Medic took one look and said 'these 2 are broken, no question.' He put bandaids on the one that also had the nail mostly torn off so it would stay. My legs felt decent but knowing that while my toes were broken, they were clean, straight breaks and I didnt want to make it worse so I trotted a little, power walked alot. I'm also an ultra runner so I can walk fast. I had an elic meltdown at mile 13. I was freezing, it was pitch black, was exhausted and my toes hurt so bad. I sat down and just cried. I wanted to go home and be warm. Somehow I got up and kept going. When I came to the Squaw turn around I knew I could finish, I could not afford to stop for any reason

My finish, I came around the bend, heard Mike Riley say my name but the crowd drowned him out screaming 'you are an Ironman!' I got past the cameras, my catcher wrapped a mylar blanket around me, I walked over to the barrier, sat down and just cried. I was in so much pain and really mentay overwhelmed.

It wasnt the race or finish I envisioned but I wouldnt change a thing.
-----
Suzanne

2013-09-24 12:56 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe recap
Congrats, very impressive for pushing through
2013-09-24 7:00 PM
in reply to: BMiller71

User image

Regular
Akron
awesome job on a very very tough day and course! Know 2 people that attempted. One finished and one did not! Congrats!
2013-09-24 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Congratulations! Great job on the finish!
2013-09-24 8:27 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Very incredible report. Awesomeness.
2013-09-24 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Great report, thanks for sharing... That really sucks about your toes - I would never have even thought about that.... Glad to hear you were able to finish..

2013-09-25 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Congrats! Way to hang in there - inspiring story.

I signed up for Tahoe 2014 not knowing about the cold - do you know if that's the way it is there every September?
2013-09-25 7:15 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Originally posted by FranzZemen

Congrats! Way to hang in there - inspiring story.

I signed up for Tahoe 2014 not knowing about the cold - do you know if that's the way it is there every September?

The Sierras in September are extremely moody, hot one day, snow the next. The best advice I can give you is to expect adversity and try to train in as much varied weather as possible. Bring all manner of tri/bike/run cloths. Flexibility and changing clothing plans on the fly are key. Have proper clothing for the job and make adjustments as needed. Have a plan but also having the ability to veer from it is crucial.

Basically thats a long spew on if you deal well with adversity regarding this race, you'll do just fine!
2013-09-26 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Awesome. Way to finish.
2013-09-26 10:41 PM
in reply to: swiss tri

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Suzanne, what an accomplishment.  This years IMLT sounds like it was one of the tri challenges that will be remembered for a long, long time.  You showed great heart and perseverance in the face of repeated challenges and stayed tough the whole way through.  Great job!
2013-10-09 11:29 AM

User image

I had my foot caught in a bear trap the same day my dog died, and didn't "tear up" as much as I did reading your story. That is the Ironman effort,will, sacrifice,attitude and triumph all in one day. CONGRATS!!! and thanks for sharing your story.

2013-10-09 11:40 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by LittleCat
Originally posted by FranzZemen Congrats! Way to hang in there - inspiring story. I signed up for Tahoe 2014 not knowing about the cold - do you know if that's the way it is there every September?
The Sierras in September are extremely moody, hot one day, snow the next. The best advice I can give you is to expect adversity and try to train in as much varied weather as possible. Bring all manner of tri/bike/run cloths. Flexibility and changing clothing plans on the fly are key. Have proper clothing for the job and make adjustments as needed. Have a plan but also having the ability to veer from it is crucial. Basically thats a long spew on if you deal well with adversity regarding this race, you'll do just fine!

I'll add to that: Unzip your jacket on the bike ride if the sun gets you hot, but don't ditch it.  It gets COLD in the shade.  And if you're not going sub-12 you'll probably be running in the dark, which is cold once again.

Congrats on the finish - it was a tough day.  I can't imagine doing it with an injury.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Lake Tahoe recap Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM Lake Tahoe

Started by cjkelly0729
Views: 933 Posts: 3

2013-07-18 9:51 AM Stillmanji

ironman Tahoe

Started by Buffmagnum
Views: 2691 Posts: 23

2012-06-22 4:22 AM brown_dog_us

Ironman Lake Placid Race Report

Started by mikericci
Views: 1692 Posts: 19

2005-08-05 12:55 PM mikericci

Square Lake 1/2 Ironman, Stillwater MN

Started by derekh25
Views: 1240 Posts: 1

2005-04-16 9:46 AM derekh25

Tupper Lake 1/2 Ironman 2005 NY ?

Started by daveskar
Views: 1551 Posts: 14

2005-01-21 2:19 PM dontracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.