2013-09-26 11:38 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: CrossFit's Dirty Little Secret
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl
Originally posted by flip18436572

There is no CrossFit in our area, because I live in small town Iowa and we are lucky to have the YMCA that we have with a 4 lane pool.  But, I know of people that were into triathlons and went to crossfit to help them in overall performance and increase strength overall.  I would like to know more about it from people that are still doing tri's and doing crossfit and has it really helped them overall.  I don't care about my triathlon speed/times as I will never be on a podium, unless DFL is a new podium spot.

I have been out of all of it (serious workout) for too long and when I was feeling my best, I was tri training, but also doing 2 days a week of arm workouts and 1 day of legs. 

I like Kido, will probably never do a handstand pushup.  Though I know I did them 35+ years ago when I was in Junior High.  Them may have been 2.

Does crossfit also include a lot of stretching?

I don't have a LOT of experience yet, but I've started working with a trainer at my gym who is both USAT certified as well as a certified cross-fit coach and the workouts we've been doing have been very-much based on full-body/cross-fit moves.  And it has kicked my A$$. 

I haven't had very many sessions with him yet, but I can tell you that my legs, arms and abs are definitely stronger than they were a month ago.  My average cycling speed has improved, and I'm much better at riding hills.  I'm going to stop my sessions about 2 weeks out from B2B, and then start up again once the race is over.  For ME (notice that I'm ONLY referring to my own experience here, people) - it's been a great way to make sure that I'm still STRONG as well as using the other workouts to gain endurance. 

Cue the "but you would be faster if you just biked more" music  I wouldn't mind giving it a shot a couple days a week, not for any thought that it would improve my swim/bike/run performance but just so I can look a little more in shape than Tony.  It would be nice to have a shirtless poolside picture that could actually be posted.  Alas, my bum, dislocated shoulder will never be able to handle muscle ups, rope climbs and probably 50% of the other CF stuff.  

2013-09-26 3:30 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by thebigb
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl
Originally posted by flip18436572

There is no CrossFit in our area, because I live in small town Iowa and we are lucky to have the YMCA that we have with a 4 lane pool.  But, I know of people that were into triathlons and went to crossfit to help them in overall performance and increase strength overall.  I would like to know more about it from people that are still doing tri's and doing crossfit and has it really helped them overall.  I don't care about my triathlon speed/times as I will never be on a podium, unless DFL is a new podium spot.

I have been out of all of it (serious workout) for too long and when I was feeling my best, I was tri training, but also doing 2 days a week of arm workouts and 1 day of legs. 

I like Kido, will probably never do a handstand pushup.  Though I know I did them 35+ years ago when I was in Junior High.  Them may have been 2.

Does crossfit also include a lot of stretching?

I don't have a LOT of experience yet, but I've started working with a trainer at my gym who is both USAT certified as well as a certified cross-fit coach and the workouts we've been doing have been very-much based on full-body/cross-fit moves.  And it has kicked my A$$. 

I haven't had very many sessions with him yet, but I can tell you that my legs, arms and abs are definitely stronger than they were a month ago.  My average cycling speed has improved, and I'm much better at riding hills.  I'm going to stop my sessions about 2 weeks out from B2B, and then start up again once the race is over.  For ME (notice that I'm ONLY referring to my own experience here, people) - it's been a great way to make sure that I'm still STRONG as well as using the other workouts to gain endurance. 

Cue the "but you would be faster if you just biked more" music  I wouldn't mind giving it a shot a couple days a week, not for any thought that it would improve my swim/bike/run performance but just so I can look a little more in shape than Tony.  It would be nice to have a shirtless poolside picture that could actually be posted.  Alas, my bum, dislocated shoulder will never be able to handle muscle ups, rope climbs and probably 50% of the other CF stuff.  

Yeah, but if you're working with the right person, you should be able to discuss your limitations and work around the bum,dislocated shoulder. 

Josh The Trainer Dude (his official title, or JTTD) asks me at the beginning of every session how I'm feeling, what's going on with my back, knees, etc. and we adjust the exercises as needed.  I don't know if that's one of the perks of working one-on-one with someone vs. a group workout, but I'd like to think that no matter what environment you were in, changes could be made to that day's workout for you. 

2013-09-26 8:03 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
You aren't truly a barely understood fringe sport until there are a few of these out there.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgH_ZoMOht8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...
2013-09-26 8:11 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn You aren't truly a barely understood fringe sport until there are a few of these out there. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgH_ZoMOht8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3...

OK, that was a really, really good one though:

I love the tri ones too. 

We're all dorks. 

I made peace with my inner (outter?) dork a long time ago.

2013-09-26 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn You aren't truly a barely understood fringe sport until there are a few of these out there. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgH_ZoMOht8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3...

"Elite.  It smells.... elite."

2013-09-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by moondawg14

"Elite.  It smells.... elite."

"Whatever"

2013-09-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
I do everything at 72.8%. No worries about exploding muscle cells here.
2013-09-26 9:22 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Elite
Reno
Originally posted by pga_mikeI do everything at 72.8%. No worries about exploding muscle cells here.

WORD

2013-09-27 9:14 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

So I posted the article on my FB page and got a pretty lively response from a doctor:

"Medically- this article is garbage. I deal with clinically relevant rhabdo (in the hospital )every day, and it's a serious medical condition. And a few days a week, I run myself into clinically non-relevant rhabdo. The writer is borderline ridiculous when he bashes a OBGYN (obviously being humorous) about peeing. This is a sorry example of biased dramatic over hype of a nonissue. Rhabdomyolysis is a rate-limited function of the kidneys ability to excrete muscle breakdown. It is proportional to time - not effort. That's why military guys get it on long slow walks, and marathon runners can have issues at hour 3-5 or longer. Body builders will jack up their muscle breakdown 1000x what a runner experiences, but they don't deal with rhabdo because they are short burst, non endurance- much like crossfit. I'm sure there are rare exceptions, but you don't change your life for the .001% chance. 
Also, the above picture of the non-repairing arm almost exclusively (and almost only) happens in the setting if anabolic steroid use. Throw this article in the same pile of trash, along with the "marathons will kill you" pile."

2013-09-27 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Laughing!! 

Why are those stupid little computer generated movies so funny??

2013-09-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by msteiner

So I posted the article on my FB page and got a pretty lively response from a doctor:

"Medically- this article is garbage. I deal with clinically relevant rhabdo (in the hospital )every day, and it's a serious medical condition. And a few days a week, I run myself into clinically non-relevant rhabdo. The writer is borderline ridiculous when he bashes a OBGYN (obviously being humorous) about peeing. This is a sorry example of biased dramatic over hype of a nonissue. Rhabdomyolysis is a rate-limited function of the kidneys ability to excrete muscle breakdown. It is proportional to time - not effort. That's why military guys get it on long slow walks, and marathon runners can have issues at hour 3-5 or longer. Body builders will jack up their muscle breakdown 1000x what a runner experiences, but they don't deal with rhabdo because they are short burst, non endurance- much like crossfit. I'm sure there are rare exceptions, but you don't change your life for the .001% chance. 
Also, the above picture of the non-repairing arm almost exclusively (and almost only) happens in the setting if anabolic steroid use. Throw this article in the same pile of trash, along with the "marathons will kill you" pile."

Yet my friend's wife is home recovery from rhabdo that was brought on specifically from a crossfit competition.  Yes, she was in the hospital for multiple days.  *shrug*  Does your doctor friend do CF?  

2013-09-27 1:39 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
I've come way closer to death Tri training than I have crossfitting. We get in bike wrecks...get hit by cars running...we're always drowning/having heart issues on the swim. Crossfit will kill you? Please.

No one at my gym has come down with Rhabo...but any idiot can do any activity too intensely. Heck, some kid in japan killed himself playing video games too long... I'm sure he was a real BA at it, though.
2013-09-27 2:10 PM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by Zero2Athlete I've come way closer to death Tri training than I have crossfitting. We get in bike wrecks...get hit by cars running...we're always drowning/having heart issues on the swim. Crossfit will kill you? Please. No one at my gym has come down with Rhabo...but any idiot can do any activity too intensely. Heck, some kid in japan killed himself playing video games too long... I'm sure he was a real BA at it, though.

Lloyd!!  I thought you'd like to jump into this thread.  I tend agree with your thoughts.  Whether you're into CF or think it's a waste of time, to say it's inherently more dangerous than other popular forms of working out (like triathlon) because of something like Rhabo is just silly.

2013-09-28 7:00 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by Zero2Athlete I've come way closer to death Tri training than I have crossfitting. We get in bike wrecks...get hit by cars running...we're always drowning/having heart issues on the swim. Crossfit will kill you? Please. No one at my gym has come down with Rhabo...but any idiot can do any activity too intensely. Heck, some kid in japan killed himself playing video games too long... I'm sure he was a real BA at it, though.

Lloyd!!  I thought you'd like to jump into this thread.  I tend agree with your thoughts.  Whether you're into CF or think it's a waste of time, to say it's inherently more dangerous than other popular forms of working out (like triathlon) because of something like Rhabo is just silly.

Hey A! Yep, Wish I had seen it sooner, but I've been busier in my CF Gym (I also think calling it a "Box" is stupid) than doing any SBR...

Before anyone thinks I'm some Crossfit zealot disciple, I'm not. I see a few shortcomings and have a few minor problems with doctrine. That said, I haven't found a program that encompasses everything I'd like it to without spending a ridiculous amount of time in the gym... CF comes the closest, though. (And I'm not just saying that because I scored a smokin' hot girlfriend in one of the coaches).

It is definitely effective, probably more dangerous than zumba, but not more dangerous than triathlon. Could I be more of a super-athlete on my own? Probably. Have I been able to approach these results on my own in one hour per day? No way.
2013-10-01 12:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
I thought that the clown's name was "Pukey"

???

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=23011

That is so much cuter than a life threatening condition!

The only places linked to Rhabdo the Clown are anti-X-fit sites.

Edited by pga_mike 2013-10-01 12:48 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » CrossFit's Dirty Little Secret Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

A little sadness...a little happiness...

Started by lkct01234
Views: 734 Posts: 5

2011-10-25 9:44 AM lkct01234

Secret (or not-so-secret) Gross (not-so-gross) Habits You May or May Not Have Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TriAya
Views: 7069 Posts: 60

2014-04-22 7:37 PM braciole

Going a little less "Postal" Pages: 1 2

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 2105 Posts: 42

2009-06-20 4:49 AM SteveyD

Let's get a little less serious....

Started by hangloose
Views: 1253 Posts: 21

2007-04-17 1:13 PM chirunner134

The Mac's dirty secret.....GULP!

Started by The Mac
Views: 1159 Posts: 23

2006-08-02 12:25 PM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : November 4, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you a mindless eater? Do you eat too much at meals? Or do you graze throughout the day? Start getting rid of those bad habits today.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.