General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-07-23 9:55 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Canada : Official Thread

Originally posted by Chillin
Originally posted by mrtahitiI read last week that the water temp is mid-60's. Unfortunately, can't remember the source.
Maybe it was on the Ironman Canada Facebook page. They said: "Your official water temp is 19C/66F".

For anyone that doesn't follow Ironman Canada on Facebook they just posted an update:

"Your official water temp is 20C/68F"

Nice and warm.  

2014-07-30 2:33 PM
in reply to: #5026335

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Hope everyone is recovering at this point. Curious to get impressions of the course. I personally found this course far more difficult that the two I did previously (CdA and Zurich). I read up on it and looked at the course maps ahead of time but was frankly surprised by how difficult it was, particularly the climbs out of Permberton. Beautiful throughout but it really kicked my behind.
2014-07-30 2:45 PM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Patrick E

Hope everyone is recovering at this point. Curious to get impressions of the course. I personally found this course far more difficult that the two I did previously (CdA and Zurich). I read up on it and looked at the course maps ahead of time but was frankly surprised by how difficult it was, particularly the climbs out of Permberton. Beautiful throughout but it really kicked my behind.

congrats to you! sounds like a rough one.

yes looking fwd to reading any race reports from IMC.
2014-07-30 2:49 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
All I have to say is HOLY that was hard. I have done a ton of cycling and that was THE hardest ride ever. Unfortunately, my day ended early with a busted bike, although I did finish the course 8 minutes after the cutoff. It's hard to get much speed up with just two low gears going up those hills and then hope for any energy to be left to run 26.2.

Kudos to anyone that completed - that was a tough one!

2014-07-31 12:31 AM
in reply to: rnner66

User image

Sorry to hear about your bike issues.  That really sucks, but good for you for still finishing the bike, that must have been Very hard.

For myself I live in Vancouver so I have ridden sections of the Sea To Sky (the highway Vancouver to Whistler) many times so I'm very familiar with the terrain. But in addition to that I did ride the complete course once about 6 or 7 weeks ago so I knew Exactly what to expect.  That definitely helped A Lot.

It's kind of like what Marino said after the awards ceremony on Monday: How he has been riding the course for the last couple weeks so when whoever flew past him near the beginning of the ride he knew not to chase him.   I knew exactly how hard the climb out of Pemberton was so I was able to pace myself perfectly for it.

But ya it definitely is a Very tough course.  I can't say for sure but I remember reading something about how it is the hardest, or one of the hardest bike courses, at any Ironman.   That's why a lot more people sign up for IM Florida than IM Canada.  

Anyways it was my first IM and I loved it.  I had a great time and totally blew my target out of the water, so I'm super happy.    ...and today I could even walk without limping

2014-08-16 1:07 AM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yeah that course was brutal.

I had a tough swim as I really hadn't swam that much this year. Ended up at 1:16 (expected 1:08-1:12). I think the swim was a little long though as my GPS said 2.7 (as did a lot of my friends).

I knew the bike was going to be hard so I kept myself in check early on and was making really good progress until right after the turnaround out on the Pemberton Flats. Ended up getting a flat that cost me 7-8 minutes (and another 3 minutes later in the course due to my Speedbox popping open). As I hit the bottom of the climb out of Pemberton my power meter cut out (on my 510, my 910 on my wrist kept recording most of the time) so I was "blind" going up the climb. Ended up at 5:50 with all the issues I had so felt pretty good but a lot slower then the 5:30 I was hoping for.

Another issue that popped up for me from the bike didn't really impact me until mile 6 of the run. I have been dealing with Morton's Neuroma for a few years now and thought I had it sorted out. It turns out the placement of my cleats were also causing it to flair up a bunch. I hadn't had a ton of issues with it on my longest rides but the amount of climbing really impacted how my feet felt. At mile 6 or 7 of the run I knew it was going to be an issue and ended up walking on and off until mile 13. At mile 13 a buddy of mine passed me. I powered my way up to him and he offered some kind words. It turns out he was having some major GI issues as well. We ran together for a few minutes and I decided I could do anything for 13 miles no matter how bad it hurt. Turns out my first 13 split was 2:22 and my second was 2:01 for a run time of 4:23.

Tack in a longer T1 and T2 from some stupid mistakes and I ended at 11:40. I know I have at least 25-30 minutes faster in me, so even thought I swore I wouldn't do another IM, I will likely be back next year.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Canada : Official Thread

Started by 3sportthing
Views: 2077 Posts: 3

2013-03-12 6:08 PM 3sportthing

Ironman Canada : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by cbrave
Views: 26369 Posts: 142

2012-10-21 3:13 PM PeteDin206

Ironman Canada : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by NLG
Views: 26919 Posts: 149

2011-09-08 6:57 PM MacMadame

Ironman Canada : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by mauisurfchick
Views: 21427 Posts: 84

2010-11-20 6:01 AM KathyG

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40353 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : October 12, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
How to train for hills when you don't have any hills to train on

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.