General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTers help me get motivated again Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-24 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: BTers help me get motivated again

I've here on BT since 2004, done tris in all distances including 4 IMs.

I had some medical issues starting in 2010 pushed on and finished IMs in both 2010 and 2011. Lost both my parents in 2012, and have been dealing with lingering health issue that has effected my joints, fatigue, and some brain issues. I was on IV abx for months.  I'm still not 100% and will not likely get back to my old self, but am able to swim and ride. I will not run again to avoid having knee replacements in my 50s. I had major surgery to realign my leg in 2011 to avoid knee replacement.  I have very little motivation to do anything but once I get out on my bike I enjoy myself I get tired easier and can't train like I used to. Triathlons was huge positive role in my life in both getting fit and mental health.  Losing it has been hard for me. I've gained weight and lost that special feeling tris gave me for self satisfaction, goal setting and accomplishments.

I'm highly competitive towards myself and hard on myself.  The new slower me will be hard for me to accept.

I signed up and completed a Oly Aquabike in August. I never looked up the results as I knew it would frustrate me.

Help me come up with a plan to enjoy the sport in the limited way I can.

What I have done:
New bike fit with custom shoes, new seatpost, new shorter 150 cranks so my hips allow me to ride,
Oly AB in August-didn't prepare as I could have, enjoyed the race vibe and participating
Going to IMFL to soak in the vibe, support friends, and hope to ignite some passion again
Signed up for the Atlantic City Challenge Ultra distance race as biker a master's relay
Took USAT coaching course in 2012 but haven't done testing-class was with a couple weeks of my Dad's death

What I like:
The discipline of training
Following a plan (I used a coach for 6 years)
Detail, technical aspects of sport

What I worry about:
Acceptance of my limitations
Accept being slower
Ability to improve health as much as I can
Not sure what is holding me back
I miss the excitement of doing something big and challenging....short races don't excite me as much
Finding joy with what is possible now

I want to find a way to enjoy this sport and asking for some input from BTers.

2013-09-24 4:01 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: BTers help me get motivated again

I think you should do something totally different.

Hear me out. You've done this for years. You know what you "should" be doing in terms of training, especially with accepting your 'slower' self. Maybe it's not meant to be right now. Maybe you should look to other things to ignite SOMETHING in you to just get more fit/healthy overall, and maybe that will translate to more motivation to be on the bike.

What about a personal trainer to hold you accountable 3x/wk, build muscle (that will help in the long run on the bike).

Why so much pressure? You're obviously disappointing yourself and making it harder to be happy. Life is too short to stress about this, to try to make yourself enjoy something you're not enjoying right now.

2013-09-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by Comet

Hear me out. You've done this for years. You know what you "should" be doing in terms of training, especially with accepting your 'slower' self. Maybe it's not meant to be right now. Maybe you should look to other things to ignite SOMETHING in you to just get more fit/healthy overall, and maybe that will translate to more motivation to be on the bike.

What about a personal trainer to hold you accountable 3x/wk, build muscle (that will help in the long run on the bike).

Why so much pressure? You're obviously disappointing yourself and making it harder to be happy. Life is too short to stress about this, to try to make yourself enjoy something you're not enjoying right now.

x2  I get that tri's have been part of your life for so long and it is hard to give up the sbr.  But try and find something different that will allow you to be active.  I think a Personal Trainer is a good idea, they can help work around any kind of limitations you might have

2013-09-24 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I think you should do something totally different. I'm okay with something different but not sure what. I have been quilting which is a connection with my Mom but doesn't help me with fitness. It does give me some satisifaction.

Not likely that 3x a week personal trainer in my budget.  My family does Crossfit and wants me to come do that with them. I have some major knee/joint issues so limits what I can do. I did suggest working on strength training with my health care provider. Issue now is I can not train like a normal person due to health issues....if I push to much I will dig hole that will take longer to recover from.

I have allowed myself  to do what I want for last 2 years which hasn't worked to well for me. I like having a goal, a plan and  executing all that is needed to reach that goal. I like feeling fit and healthy.  I am so far from where I was back in 2011 when I was IM fit.

Thanks for the ideas...I'm opening...just trying to figure out what new thing could be and how that could work for me.

2013-09-24 4:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by KathyG

I think you should do something totally different. I'm okay with something different but not sure what. I have been quilting which is a connection with my Mom but doesn't help me with fitness. It does give me some satisifaction.

Not likely that 3x a week personal trainer in my budget.  My family does Crossfit and wants me to come do that with them. I have some major knee/joint issues so limits what I can do. I did suggest working on strength training with my health care provider. Issue now is I can not train like a normal person due to health issues....if I push to much I will dig hole that will take longer to recover from.

I have allowed myself  to do what I want for last 2 years which hasn't worked to well for me. I like having a goal, a plan and  executing all that is needed to reach that goal. I like feeling fit and healthy.  I am so far from where I was back in 2011 when I was IM fit.

Thanks for the ideas...I'm opening...just trying to figure out what new thing could be and how that could work for me.

Yes, so find a NEW goal. Tri's and "IM fit" is not the end-all-be-all of being fit and healthy.

Has been 'doing what I want' for the last 2 years been actively pursuing other goals and activities? I'd say 'no' since you didn't list them. It seems the past 2 years were spent having surgery, recovering, then getting a disease, recovering from that illness, then dealing with other personal issues.

Sticking with my idea of a personal trainer. Then see where that takes you.

Edited by Comet 2013-09-24 4:23 PM
2013-09-24 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Has been 'doing what I want' for the last 2 years been actively pursuing other goals and activities? I'd say 'no' since you didn't list them. It seems the past 2 years were spent having surgery, recovering, then getting a disease, recovering from that illness, then dealing with other personal issues.

Good point....we did buy kayaks....it's true I haven't been able to do much due to health issues until last couple of months. Not easy to work out when you have a picc line.

2013-09-24 4:30 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kathy, I don't really know you but have read a bunch of your post and know you have been at this for some time. Is it possible that you are having problems in seeing yourself for what you are now? What I mean by that is maybe the problem is that you almost solely saw yourself as an Ironman, not a person doing an Ironman race, ie. pro football player not knowing what to do with himself after retiring - forced or by choice. It may be that you just need to be active now and live a healthy lifestyle because you just might not be able, as you said, be fully satisfied with something smaller or shorter. You have a ton of knowledge and experience, maybe becoming a coach / trainer and helping others to accomplish a handful of what you accomplished will bring a fire and enjoyment back to you. You may find after some time, that being present and participating is acceptable and will make you happy. Best of Luck.
2013-09-24 4:36 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Kathy, I don't really know you but have read a bunch of your post and know you have been at this for some time. Is it possible that you are having problems in seeing yourself for what you are now? What I mean by that is maybe the problem is that you almost solely saw yourself as an Ironman, not a person doing an Ironman race, ie. pro football player not knowing what to do with himself after retiring - forced or by choice. It may be that you just need to be active now and live a healthy lifestyle because you just might not be able, as you said, be fully satisfied with something smaller or shorter. You have a ton of knowledge and experience, maybe becoming a coach / trainer and helping others to accomplish a handful of what you accomplished will bring a fire and enjoyment back to you. You may find after some time, that being present and participating is acceptable and will make you happy. Best of Luck.

You are probably pretty close on your assessment and it has been a struggle for me..I"m not my time, I'm not my last achievement, I'm me but hard for me to see myself that way. Thank you for your input and ideas!

2013-09-24 4:38 PM

User image

Master
PNW

This.

I had to do the same thing after an injury that took me out for all of 2012. I decided in early 2013 that I was going to skip tri for the year and focus on other stuff until I was stronger all around. What that meant for the first half of the year was procrastination. I hardly did anything and I made up lots of excuses. I was miserable.

Then I signed up for a program with other goals. Now I'm weight lifting with the goal of getting stronger and it's great fun! I am also running again because I have a half marathon that I was signed up for by default (by not running it in 2012, I got auto transferred to 2013). I don't have any time goals since I'm starting from scratch but that run training combined with a bunch of nutrition goals and my weight training goals has really given me something to strive for again. I feel like my old self again after only 2 months! I've still got a long way to go but I'm seeing real progress in enough areas that I'm motivated to keep going.

Sometimes it's better to find new things to strive for when you know that you can't compete against your old self at the things you are used to doing. There should be plenty of options out there from weight training to cyclocross to rock climbing to karate. What sounds like fun to you?
2013-09-24 4:42 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Good point....we did buy kayaks....it's true I haven't been able to do much due to health issues until last couple of months. Not easy to work out when you have a picc line.

Ok, exactly. No, it hasn't been easy to do much due to your illness, therefore you haven't really been. And just buying kayaks isn't going to find you motivation either. Just like spending that money on your bike and shoes hasn't magically found you the motivation. You like the tri lifestyle. Just going out and doing 'activities' like kayaking probably isn't going to do it for you, unless you change your mindset. Make it a point to find new parks. New water. Anything.

Or again, hire a trainer that holds you accountable while you start to get healthy.

Again, nothing is going to change until you change your mentality. Either understand that the "IM life" isn't for you at this point, or change it to appreciate that you can do other things, you just need to figure out what that is.

2013-09-24 4:45 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Kathy,

It has been an extremely rough road for you over the past few years.  I like Comet's suggestion.  Try something new.  I remember a time when in the off season you hit Zumba and CrossFit pretty well and seemed to enjoy them.  They may help you get fit enough to feel more confident to go back out on the bike a little more.  With that fitness may come the "old" Kathy competitiveness to want to train harder--yes, you are a few years older and having gone through a couple surgeries a little more hesitant to push the limitations.....The "old" Kathy may never be able to be back fully.....but the new & improved Kathy can still enjoy fitness and be competitive in a new way.

Find other avenues to challenge your mind and energy.  Your quilting takes a lot of mental energy--but not as much physical since it is primarily seated work.  You have the dogs that you are breeding....would you want to train them more?  

Review the material from the course you took and work on that Coaching certification.  You would be an excellent coach with your passion for the sport, attention to detail and the fact that you used a coach for your training you have an idea of what works and doesn't for a coach/ mentor relationship to progress.

Enjoy social rides with a group.  Go back to your local bike shop and see if there is a newbie group riding--you aren't a newbie in bike handling so you could help the newbies learn that while you work at a pace where you won't be dropped by the speedster guys that always want to hammer.  Just a thought.  Social while using your skills and interests....but branching out a little to get out of the S/B/R as the end all and be all of life.

2013-09-24 5:21 PM

User image

If biking is not miserable for you, maybe consider a multi-day charity ride. It gives you something to train for that is "outside of yourself". I do one early each year and it is a great motivator for me. Even when I don't want to train, or I am not feeling very happy with my progress, or the weather's awful, I remind myself that I am doing it for "the sick kids (insert your favorite cause)". When you finish the ride you are not thinking about times, results, or podiums. You feel great about finishing but more importantly you know that your effort is helping others.

2013-09-24 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

If I stopped training for tris due to some problem competing in one of the events (i.e., running), I'd probably do more of mountain biking, kayaking (you mentioned that I think), hiking, and maybe endurance swim events.  I would also try to find something active that my wife would be interested in doing along with me.  It looks like you have done a relay, and that is certainly an option --  find some other people who want to do a tri relay and be the swim or bike person.

Lots of activities involve some technical challenge, which you enjoy.  Scuba diving is a good one.  Spelunking.  The list is endless, really.  Go take a couple hours to walk through a big sporting goods store like a Bass Prop Shop with an open mind, and see what things catch your eye.

2013-09-24 6:17 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
What about finishing your coaching cert? You would be a wonderful coach, perhaps specializing in masters women? You inspire so many.

And the multi day charity rides can be a really fun thing too. I had a great time doing some charity rides in the 90's. The training was fun and social.

Distance swimming is also becoming more popular. Train for an Alcatraz swim do a destination trip San Francisco.
2013-09-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

My suggestion is pretty close to Haley's.

Since my knees went kaput I have pretty much been on a loose schedule of lifting, seeing a personal trainer 2x a week (Ronsky) and riding my bike whenever and where ever possible.

Once I started seeing gains in my lifting, and being able to do things with Ronsky that I know I wasn't able to do before... I started to get more enthusiastic and excited about it all. And I finally saw definition and results. I also felt stronger on the bike, and stronger in general. Feeling strong and being strong is hugely empowering. More empowering, I'd say, than suffering through a long run or slogging out 4500M in the pool. Who cares if you can swim if you need help unloading your trunk!? You know?

I don't rule out another Ironman for myself... but I'm DEFINITELY going to train for it MY way, which will include little or no running, lots of lifting (strength), swimming, riding,and corework. I'm never going to run an IM marathon anyway. Why waste my time? Who am I trying to fool with a 3 hour long run?

Maybe try going to Crossfit class (is that what they're called/) and see what the coach has to say. I always explain my limitations up front. For God's sake, my knees don't bend enough to allow me to do a decent looking squat. But I do what I can. And I still saw results.

Maybe you have to do tiny little 6 inch box jumps (I did!) Maybe you squat (halfway) press the bar. Maybe you feel dorky, but you will be doing something totally different and you will not be able to judge your new self against your old self, like you probably do on the bike or while you're swimming.

When was the last time you did something for the FIRST TIME? I say give it a whirl.

But I also think accountability is key. If you have a Crossfit class waiting for you... and wondering why you're not showing up... it's hard to blow that off. Same with a personal trainer... that you're paying for, and who's waiting for you.

2013-09-24 7:15 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

You are one of my best friends and I hate to see you struggle with this. You might need to take a little of this as tough love but you more than anyone else on BT knows what I have been thru the last few years and I WISH someone had told me things sometimes...like dump your partner he is a a$$hole but no one had the guts to do it so here we go.  I know how much you enjoy the fitness, enjoy the challenge enjoy the goal.  You have been thru a tremendous amount the last two years emotionally and physically and you are not only mourning the death of your parents but also the loss of your fitness and lifestyle.  You probably feel like your body betrayed you after fighting so hard to get it fit and healthy.  You felt like crap physically and emotionally for a long time.  You are an emotional eater too which has not helped I know.  No one can decide how you move forward from this point but you and you need to decide if you want to continue to pursue triathlon or something else.

Regarding triathlon these are the things I know about you that I think will hold you back
1-The numbers. You LOVE numbers.  You need to let it go and not get so hung up about that
2-You are very much an athlete who needs validation that you are doing something "right"  I hit this power or that HR or that mileage so I did it "right" and therefore I should get the result I want.  Here is the thing.  There is no right.  Its possible to do everything "right" and still not get the result you want. 
3-Your days of getting faster than your previous best day are probably over.  Hell mine are probably over too.  You need to let that go.
4-You need to find goals that are not time, speed or wattage related

I think you have come a long way as an athlete over the years finding the joy in racing and you need more of that.  Think about why you want to continue that aren't about a PB.  I just read an article in runners world about a guy who had just gone thru some personal upheaval in his life and decided to attain a personal running goal but along the way he discovered it was not about running it was about life and living life to the fullest and translated that into his life outside running and became a happier person because of that.

We have talked a lot about other activities to try.  I know crossfit is not your thing.  I think a personal trainer is a good idea. Ultimately being stronger will help you if you choose to SBR.   I think riding your bike it a good idea.  I know you are unhappy with your body right now but that is OK.  You need to decide you want to do something about it and weather that is thru cycling triathlon crossfit or underwater basket weaving it doesn't matter.  What matters is taking the first step.  Maybe it won't work out but don't be afraid to try and don't be afraid of failing.  You can't change the past all you can do is move forward.  Remember your family and friends and I all love you and support you and will continue to love you no matter what you look like or what your athletic acheivements may be.  We love YOU because you are you not because you are an ironman or because you SBR.  Do what makes you happy my friend

Edited by Socks 2013-09-24 7:17 PM

2013-09-24 7:27 PM
in reply to: Whizzzzz

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by Whizzzzz

My suggestion is pretty close to Haley's.

Since my knees went kaput I have pretty much been on a loose schedule of lifting, seeing a personal trainer 2x a week (Ronsky) and riding my bike whenever and where ever possible.

Once I started seeing gains in my lifting, and being able to do things with Ronsky that I know I wasn't able to do before... I started to get more enthusiastic and excited about it all. And I finally saw definition and results. I also felt stronger on the bike, and stronger in general. Feeling strong and being strong is hugely empowering. More empowering, I'd say, than suffering through a long run or slogging out 4500M in the pool. Who cares if you can swim if you need help unloading your trunk!? You know?

I don't rule out another Ironman for myself... but I'm DEFINITELY going to train for it MY way, which will include little or no running, lots of lifting (strength), swimming, riding,and corework. I'm never going to run an IM marathon anyway. Why waste my time? Who am I trying to fool with a 3 hour long run?

Maybe try going to Crossfit class (is that what they're called/) and see what the coach has to say. I always explain my limitations up front. For God's sake, my knees don't bend enough to allow me to do a decent looking squat. But I do what I can. And I still saw results.

Maybe you have to do tiny little 6 inch box jumps (I did!) Maybe you squat (halfway) press the bar. Maybe you feel dorky, but you will be doing something totally different and you will not be able to judge your new self against your old self, like you probably do on the bike or while you're swimming.

When was the last time you did something for the FIRST TIME? I say give it a whirl.

But I also think accountability is key. If you have a Crossfit class waiting for you... and wondering why you're not showing up... it's hard to blow that off. Same with a personal trainer... that you're paying for, and who's waiting for you.

So much great advice in here already. Maybe it comes down to seeing yourself in a new way?

I feel kind of sappy writing this out but you have helped so many on here so here goes,

Sometimes I think of things like I am writing a book, especially in times of struggle. I kind of step outside myself so I'm not dealing with the emotion of it all - like I am someone reading about my life. I will think about where I started, where I am and where I want to go. So this is part of your story. You've already written the awesome accomplishments of your IM experiences, nobody can take that away. And you have survived an exhausting emotional and physical crisis that is now in the books. What is the next chapter going to bring?

Only you can decide but we're all here for you just like you have helped so many on this board. 

2013-09-24 7:39 PM

User image

Master

Kathy,

You've gotten a lot of really good ideas. What is it that really excites you? Is there something that you've always wanted to do or try?

I think you should look into trying something new and with a new group of people Something that you can learn about, be a newbie and meet an entirely new group of friends. Stay involved with triathlons but as a secondary interest for a while. You need to find a new interest that has a specific skills set and requires cool technical gear. Something that is individual yet also group oriented.

It doesn't have to be totally removed from S/B/R. Just something new and exciting.  Instead of swimming how about scuba diving? Take a class and get certified. Then go off on some cool exotic diving vacation in the dead middle of winter in MI.

There are so many wonderful opportunities available with the bike that don't require extensive "training" or preparation for. Cross state bike tours are a lot of fun. Multi day tours to the wine country or a food cycling tour. Get in a with a group of people that use the bike as a vehicle to enjoy life instead of a race to the finish line.  When I rode cross state tours the only thing that anyone cared about was getting a shower and how much food we could consume on a daily basis.

You aren't old enough for this but it is something that you might want to consider.

http://www.roadscholar.org/programs/search_res.asp?cm_sp=Plug-_-Boomer-_-SearchBox&ProgDesc=Bicycling

One of my serious roadie friends has been on several bike to barge trips in Europe . He said it was the best time that he's ever had on a bike. The barge takes you from place to place each day. If you want to get off and ride great. If not you can stay on the boat or tour the city.

This website is also a great resource for different hobbies and interests.

You need a goal- a big goal or trip that is exciting and something to look forward to.  You've had a really rough couple of years. It's time for you to reinvent yourself into a new person. I think most of us are drawn to triathlons and the IM distance because of the journey. It really isn't about the race as far as I'm concerned. It is what you learn about yourself and the process along the way. The last few years you've been taking care of yourself and everyone else physically and emotionally. It is time for you to start living again.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-09-24 7:40 PM
2013-09-24 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Lots of good advice here - I agree with everyone who said to try something completely different for a while.

I had a rough time a few years ago - my sister died and I got pretty depressed, and I hurt my knee at the same time which kept me from running/hiking/skiing. You've been through a hell of a lot more than that, but my point is that I was in a pretty dark place and I know your frustration with not being where you once were. I spent a year being totally inactive and sad, gained a bunch of weight, and felt totally horrible about myself. Basically, I spent that entire year being all "woe-is-me" that I couldn't run, which meant I couldn't do trail running or triathlons, and I felt like there was NOTHING I could do outside of that which I had known. 

I didn't crawl out of that hole until I decided that I had to make peace with the fact that I might NEVER, EVER run again. Making peace with that involved finding something completely different, as many here have alluded to. 

I thought about what I liked about triathlons - I like being outdoors, I like feeling accomplished, I like feeling strong. I took those positives and found some other activities that had the same aspects. I took up mountain biking because I missed the trails and it didn't hurt my knee, and I started to hit the gym because I knew that if I felt stronger I would feel better about myself. And trying those two completely different activities literally changed my life. 

I got stronger. I got outside. I learned something new which helped my confidence. And I slowly started to have goals again (lifting more weight, doing a mountain bike race, whatever). And lo and behold, I'm strong enough now that I can run again, so I've come full circle.

I guess my point is that you need to make peace with the fact that you might never be in the same ironman shape you were. BUT you can still be totally awesome. You just have to find your new version of awesome. 

Aim for a bike tour, or an active trip that you have to be fit for. Sign up with a trainer who will make you STRONG so that all of the above will become easier. I couldn't believe how hard S/B/R were after taking a year off - lifting heavy things in the gym made this easier than all the biking and running in the world would have because it built my atrophied muscles back up.

It might take some trial and error. I tried Crossfit, it wasn't for me. I tried just road biking, I didn't care for it on it's own. I had to try a few things, and you might too, but that's okay. Just DOING something helps, because it's a step in the right direction.

You can do this, and you'll be stronger. You just need to let go for a little while and find another goal.

2013-09-24 8:42 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

This is a quotation from a cancer patient my wife is taking care of:
I wake up every morning and I think, "I'm alive and I'm walking. Everything else is a bonus."

Somehow, this motivates me and keeps my focus off of my aging body and on to the joy of doing what I'm able.
2013-09-24 8:45 PM

User image

Elite

I've here on BT since 2004, done tris in all distances including 4 IMs.

I had some medical issues starting in 2010 pushed on and finished IMs in both 2010 and 2011. Lost both my parents in 2012, and have been dealing with lingering health issue that has effected my joints, fatigue, and some brain issues. I was on IV abx for months.  I'm still not 100% and will not likely get back to my old self, but am able to swim and ride. I will not run again to avoid having knee replacements in my 50s. I had major surgery to realign my leg in 2011 to avoid knee replacement.  I have very little motivation to do anything but once I get out on my bike I enjoy myself I get tired easier and can't train like I used to. Triathlons was huge positive role in my life in both getting fit and mental health.  Losing it has been hard for me. I've gained weight and lost that special feeling tris gave me for self satisfaction, goal setting and accomplishments.

I'm highly competitive towards myself and hard on myself.  The new slower me will be hard for me to accept.

I signed up and completed a Oly Aquabike in August. I never looked up the results as I knew it would frustrate me.

Help me come up with a plan to enjoy the sport in the limited way I can.

What I have done:
New bike fit with custom shoes, new seatpost, new shorter 150 cranks so my hips allow me to ride,
Oly AB in August-didn't prepare as I could have, enjoyed the race vibe and participating
Going to IMFL to soak in the vibe, support friends, and hope to ignite some passion again
Signed up for the Atlantic City Challenge Ultra distance race as biker a master's relay
Took USAT coaching course in 2012 but haven't done testing-class was with a couple weeks of my Dad's death

What I like:
The discipline of training
Following a plan (I used a coach for 6 years)
Detail, technical aspects of sport

What I worry about:
Acceptance of my limitations
Accept being slower
Ability to improve health as much as I can
Not sure what is holding me back
I miss the excitement of doing something big and challenging....short races don't excite me as much
Finding joy with what is possible now

I want to find a way to enjoy this sport and asking for some input from BTers.

Kathy you are a huge inspiration to me.  That picture of you finishing IMFL---you are truly an ironman to the core! 

Your post speaks to me, as I fear I may be in the same boat some day soon (running is not kind to me).  Could you try orienteering?  Adventure racing?  Mountain bike?  I'm trying to think of something low impact but that could also provide adventure.

2013-09-24 10:41 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Champion
MA

Thanks BT! I'll respond more to specific posts tomorrow when I have more time.

I appreciate the thought, encouragement and ideas many of you have shared with me.

2013-09-24 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Well, I am going to go at this a bit differently than everybody else, it appears...

first of all - you said you are going to go to IMFL and hang out, see if the fire gets re-ignited. Good... go! I have no doubt that you WILL feel it burning again inside you. BUT - before you get in line to register Sunday morning :-) think about this - is it the IM experience you are missing, or is it the fitness issue that is really bothering you? Take the time to process it all. If it is just the being at IM, you can always volunteer, or coach. If you still want to race, are you comfortable with committing to a full year of training right off the bat again, or do you think maybe some shorter distance races closer to home would make more sense to do, to see if this is REALLY what you want to do? Would you be happy just doing events with Kevin?

You know my medical history, and you know my responsibility is to wipe off the podium so nobody slips, cuz that is as close as I will ever get to the podium. You know my perspective - I don't compete (except, as you, with myself), I participate. For me, and a LOT of folks like me, finishing still vertical is the sole objective...I don't even care if it is DFL...I got close enough to that at IMAZ last year.

And you know I am not a runner. My IM plan is to finish the swim and bike soon enough that I can walk the whole damn 26.2 if need be; if the knees won't let you run, consider this. You are capable of being a strong swimmer and cyclist again, IF that is your choice. Sue made a lot of good albeit very pointed comments. Bluntness is a requisite in this discussion. Would you be happy just finishing? Heck, we are ALL going to be where we are not "competitive" at some point (honestly, I never was) and like it or not, we have to accept our limitations. BUT we also can enjoy the journey-- you have to learn to NOT beat yourself up because you got tired earlier in the training session than you expected. You have to learn to NOT compare your numbers to somebody else... if you cannot enjoy the training, you are not going to enjoy the race.

A couple people did make a very valid point too -- if there is any way you can get into the position of passing your knowledge on to others, DO IT! I don't mean quitting the activity and solely focusing on coaching, necessarily. But you have a wealth of experience to share. Don't throw that away.

LOTS of us can hold you accountable to a training plan, but only you can decide what it is you want to train FOR.

A number of people try here to convince you to look elsewhere for something to satisfy your drive... I am not sure you really want to get out of triathlon, AND there is nothing wrong with that! Realistic goals, realistic training, measurable steps... hell, come walk the 26.2 with me at IMAZ 2014!! We can pick up the cones together!

There is only ONE number you should really keep in front of you -- how many people support you, whatever you decide --- 100%
Love you, lady.
2013-09-25 6:01 AM
in reply to: triplebypat

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-25 7:55 AM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Kathy,

What about planning a big cycling trip each year? I know a guy who used to race but rarely races anymore (knee issues) but still rides a lot and swims fairly often.  He uses his two week cycling vacations as motivation to keep his bike fitness up and since the trips usually involve at least a couple of big days of climbing, also to keep weight down.  He's done a couple of trips where they have done some of the key TdF, Giro or Vuelta stages (or parts of stages) over the trip and while there isn't a competition aspect, he finds these great motivators for staying fit.

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTers help me get motivated again Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Having a hard time getting motivated, again

Started by brreems
Views: 2352 Posts: 24

2012-07-06 2:11 PM Meulen

Tips for motivating my daughter again?

Started by windandsurf
Views: 1519 Posts: 14

2011-04-26 1:13 PM KathyG

Trouble getting motivated.

Started by DS.qcct
Views: 1518 Posts: 10

2010-05-06 2:43 PM itsallrelative_Maine

Help Motivate Me Please

Started by Malgal
Views: 1683 Posts: 19

2009-08-04 8:02 AM Havin'Fun

BTer in the news again

Started by Comet
Views: 1059 Posts: 12

2006-06-28 2:53 PM parrj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 19, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : October 10, 2004
author : adrianogier
Your programme was a great help in getting my training organised and balanced. Your web site has been a great help.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.