World Triathlon Corporation
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 47m 52s
Overall Rank = 1382/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 72/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:00am. Had oatmeal and a pop tart and some gatorade. Got dressed in lots and lots of layers as it was sub 30 degrees out!! I can't believe I was going to go swimming when it just snowed out.
Event warmup:

We got to T1 late and it was chaos. My T1 bag was frozen solid from the prior day rain and snow. I just had enough time to stuff dry cloths in the bag, pumb my tires up, put on my wetsuit, and run to the start. I guess that was good as I never got cold waiting.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 48s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was a self assigned wave process starting at 6:40am. I placed myself in the 1:10-1:20 wave. I walked into the water as its very shallow the first 200 yards and I wanted to adjust slowly. The air temp was sub freezing and the combo with altitude made me cautious. The fog was thick so visablity was really poor. In addtion buoys were on the left making sighting tough. I added a done of distance to my race due to poor navigation. I'm usually tight to the buoys but not this time. The lake was colder at shore than further out. It was actually really comfortable in the wetsuit... nicer than the air temp.
What would you do differently?:

sight more and actually do all the swim training. I was very undertrained for this race.
Transition 1
  • 18m 26s
Comments:

T1 was crazy! It was so cold my feet were frozen blocks by the time I got to the tent. There were tons of people. Between my slow swim and the slow T1 times of everyone it was a pile up in the tent.... bodies everywhere. I managed to claim a small spot and get dry and pack on gear. I helped several others zip there clothing up as their hands were frozen. I got my hand warmers going and headed out.

It was cold out and the time I took to warm up and help others was worth it. For this race I wouldn't have changed things
Bike
  • 7h 58m 41s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy crap there were some crazy climbs! My front shifter was frozen for the first 25 miles so I took Dollar hill in the big ring ... that was hard. My feet were frozen blocks but the rest of me was well insulated. The Martis climb was insane and by the time I hit Brockaway I was seriously wondering how I'd complete lap two. I didn't have a climbing cassette so I ran out of gears .... this totally shredded my legs. I had to did deep to make myself continue when I hit Squaw the first time. I'm usually a good climber and my bike has gotten pretty good but this course tamed me. That said it was beautiful out there!

I didn't train enough for this race and I knew that coming in. I moved and changed jobs this year and couldn't put the hours in that were needed. I own that and I'm just really happy that I didn't DNF. This course also requires a climbing cassette... it was just stupid of me to not make that change.
Transition 2
  • 12m 11s
Comments:

I was so burnt out by the end of the bike. I took 5 minutes to just chill out. I knew I had time to finish even if I walked so I gathered myself and refocused.
Run
  • 5h 53m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course is truely beautiful. I'm glad I got to see the whole thing in the daylight for my fiirst loop. I was able to run the first 2 miles and then started walking. I was more mentally drained at this point and I really just gave up. I was lucky enought to latch on to a fellow racer ( Jenifer) at about mile 11. She pulled me back to a jog and we kept eachother moving through mile 24. I owe her big time for keeping me under 16 hours! When it got dark it was very dark. We made it to special needs and my headlamp just in time. I was able to run the last 0.5mile but I was spent at the end.

I didn't train enough. Just so happy that I finished. While this wasn't a time PR I think this might have been a effort PR for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I was lucky enough to find a fellow racer to give me a ride down the hill to my condo. Walking the 2 miles in the dark with my bags would have sucked so Thank-you fellow racer. I'm sorry I didn't get your name!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I knew I was under trained and that this course would be a challenge. I know there will be many that think the course was too hard but I think they should keep it as is. There are plenty of flat fast options so having a good climbing/high altitude race is a great option. With the right training it would have been a different experience.... still tough but fun.

Event comments:

I think this is a great new venue. I know there were a lot of DNF's and the weather added challenge. That said could you imagine if this race were on Sat when it was pouring? Overall I think its an awesome course and a great IM option. There are plenty of flat options so this adds some variety. I say keep it as is and just tweak some minor areas.

Last updated: 2013-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:48 | 4224 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 63/
Overall: 1307/
Performance: Bad
Suit: full
Course: two loop counter clockwise. Second loop turn in water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 18:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:58:41 | 112 miles | 14.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 63/
Overall: 1364/
Wind: Little
Course: two loop hilly hilly hilly course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 12:11
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:53:46 | 26.2 miles | 13m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Course: Out and back twice. 2nd loop is shortened.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-24 5:37 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Lake Tahoe

2013-09-24 11:31 PM
in reply to: #4863039

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe
Great job, and great RR!  Probably saw you out there in the dark.....my finish time was very close to yours!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Tahoe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by tamoneya
Views: 1919 Posts: 6

2013-09-27 10:57 AM wannabefaster

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3437 Posts: 8

2013-09-30 6:29 AM KathyG

Lake Tahoe Triathlon

Started by Broompatrol
Views: 1395 Posts: 4

2006-09-20 9:09 AM TruckeeTriGuy

Lake Tahoe Triathlon

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1462 Posts: 3

2006-09-19 8:43 AM slow&steady

Lake Tahoe Triathlon

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1691 Posts: 6

2005-09-23 7:15 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.