General Discussion Race Reports! » Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Short Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Salamanca, New York
United States
Score This
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 14s
Overall Rank = 9/20
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

My alarm went off at 5:20 AM. I ate some breakfast; corn bagel with Teddy Peanut Butter and orange juice. I brought my coffee for the ride over to Allegany State Park. The car was all packed the night before so my husband just had to put the bikes on the rack and we were ready to go.

Once at the race site we picked up our packets and race swag. I got some nice compression sleeves instead of the t-shirt. We headed back to the car to get our stuff and set up in transition. I managed to get an outside rack and set up the bike. I had brought my calf sleeves, a long sleeved winter running shirt, and a running vest this year. Last year I was so cold!

I doubled checked that my bike was in the right gear and that everything was ready to go.

I headed back to the car with my bag as it was a clutter-free transition zone. I ate a banana and about 30 energy bits.
Event warmup:

I didn't really do any warm-up, unless you consider walking all over the race site warming up.
Swim
  • 26m 52s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

This year all the sprint racers started together, meaning that both men and women started at the same time. On my way towards the first buoy it was very crowded. There were men and women swimming on both sides, in front and behind me. I decided to swim breaststroke until I had more space.

Once I felt less crowded I did freestyle for a while but the water was very choppy and I swallowed a big gulp of water. I coughed and sputtered for a few minutes but managed to keep going forward.

I felt slow and cold during this swim. I got to the first buoy and remembered that from buoy 1 to 2 last year was shallow and full of seaweed. While it wasn't shallow this year, the seaweed was still there! I felt like I was swimming with a cargo net around my legs, arms, and neck.

At this point I was close to the end of the pack of swimmers, my arms were cold and all I could think was, "Just keep swimming!" I could hear swimmers behind me breathing hard and could see swimmers ahead of me doing the back stroke.

I finally came to the 2nd buoy and made the turn towards the shore. A guy swam by me on my right but I was able to catch up and pass him. Once I could reach the bottom I half swam/half ran towards shore. The crowd was cheering the swimmers on and shouting words of encouragement.

From the beach to transition you run on the sidewalk and it was freezing! I pulled off my cap and goggles and unzipped my wet suit. I had it halfway off by the time I entered transition.
What would you do differently?:

I'd like to be able to swim freestyle for the entire swim portion of a triathlon. I know that I can swim 1000 yards of freestyle in the pool without any difficulty. Once in the cold lake though, it's like I panic and resort to breaststroke. This is definitely an area that I want to work on for next year.
Transition 1
  • 05m 15s
Comments:

It was cold and I was wet! I had a hard time putting on my long sleeved shirt, I think due to the fact that it is fuzzy on the inside and I was dripping with water. I had a much better time with my socks and shoes for this transition that ones earlier this year. I had also gotten speed laces for my bike shoes which helped my time. I chose not to put on my calf sleeves in order to save time.

Not sure, this transition was okay. I would probably have been faster if I had chosen to wear a t-shirt, but I get cold so easily that wasn't really an option for me.
Bike
  • 52m 1s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 14.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. I rode the first 4 miles with my husband and then went ahead. There was a woman doing the duathlon who I played leap frog with for the duration of the bike course. On the way back down the hill my husband passed me on the bike course, but I entered transition just a couple minutes behind him.

Looking back on my efforts, I probably could have gone faster, but at the time, I felt pretty good.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

My feet and calves cramped up as I was changing from bike shoes to run shoes. This likely added 30 seconds to my transition time.

Not have cramps?!?!
Run
  • 28m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good on the run portion this year. I had no issues with transition from bike to run. I kept a good pace and was able to relax and enjoy the run. I actually finished the run feeling like I could keep going. This was encouraging since I plan on moving up to the Olympic distance in 2014.

Not much, this run felt good.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a water at the finish line and walked around while I waited for my husband to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The coldness, my lack of confidence in the water.

Event comments:

Once again, this event ran smoothly and there were lots of volunteers.

Last updated: 2013-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:52 | 1056 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/20
Performance: Below average
Suit: Synergy Sleeveless
Course: The course goes clockwise around 3 buoys in a triangular formation around Red House Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:01 | 12.4 miles | 14.30 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The first half of the bike course is rolling hills and steady uphill for 6.2 miles, then you turn around and go back to transition.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:44 | 03.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The run course follows the paved path along Red House lake. It is an out and back course with a few hills.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-25 4:12 PM

User image

Subject: Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by feelingroovy
Views: 832 Posts: 1

2012-10-13 2:36 PM feelingroovy

Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by swede1978
Views: 1421 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 7:32 AM swede1978

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Short Course

Started by UTTriman
Views: 2039 Posts: 15

2006-07-27 1:58 PM huskyboy

Timberman Triathlon - Short Course

Started by mneyedoc
Views: 1043 Posts: 1

2006-07-09 8:16 AM mneyedoc

Square Lake Triathlon - short course

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1149 Posts: 2

2005-09-15 8:36 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle