General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missing a planned workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-26 6:49 AM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
Subject: Missing a planned workout
How much does it suck to miss a planned workout/training session.

IT SUCKS........

2013-09-26 7:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Subject: RE: Missing a planned workout
|------------------------------------------------this much------------------------------------------------|

Edited by deboerkj 2013-09-26 7:19 AM
2013-09-26 7:25 AM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Regular
I guess it all depends on what has come up that causes you to miss a workout.......
2013-09-26 9:27 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

I missed Tuesday ... it was only a 5k run but by the time I got home, I was tired and I made the mistake of laying on the couch ... I kept thinking about getting my butt in gear (even after 10pm) ... but it never happened and now I regret it because there was no real reason. I should have also cycled at least 1-2x this week to work (60k round trip). Totally been slacking in this area.

Now I have to make it up and this weekend I have a century ride + a sprint (or super sprint) tri + 5k run (which I can count towards the sprint tri) + 8km run. And the missed 5k run - which I plan to do on Friday.

I'm going to have to move the 8k run to Monday and miss a rest day ... and hopefully this teaches me to not miss any more days!
2013-09-26 12:27 PM
in reply to: jillebean

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Looking at your upcoming schedule, I would say that it is A-OK to miss a 5k run. Think of it as an extra day to recover, which may pay dividend in the end.
2013-09-26 2:28 PM
in reply to: deboerkj

Veteran
Tennessee
I don't fret over the missed workouts anymore like i use to. I look at it as extra recovery. Now if I miss several workouts in a row then I just get pissed.Cool

2013-09-26 2:41 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by iruptacopula

I don't fret over the missed workouts anymore like i use to. I look at it as extra recovery. Now if I miss several workouts in a row then I just get pissed.Cool
x2! It's about the big picture!
2013-09-26 2:41 PM
in reply to: husse23

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
too many people worry about missing a singe workout and don't look at the big picture. If it is a key workouts a few weeks out from a big race it might be a different story, but in general its not a huge deal.

When it is a huge deal is when people try to cram into into their schedule later in the week, thus compromising the rest of their workouts, recovery periods, etc.
2013-09-26 6:35 PM
in reply to: jillebean

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jillebean I missed Tuesday ... it was only a 5k run but by the time I got home, I was tired and I made the mistake of laying on the couch ... I kept thinking about getting my butt in gear (even after 10pm) ... but it never happened and now I regret it because there was no real reason. I should have also cycled at least 1-2x this week to work (60k round trip). Totally been slacking in this area. Now I have to make it up and this weekend I have a century ride + a sprint (or super sprint) tri + 5k run (which I can count towards the sprint tri) + 8km run. And the missed 5k run - which I plan to do on Friday. I'm going to have to move the 8k run to Monday and miss a rest day ... and hopefully this teaches me to not miss any more days!

As tough as it may seem, usually it's best to just let go of a missed workout, moving on ahead as planned. Training and fitness improvements don't quite work like school or things for work. You don't just get credit for doing the job. It's a development process. Have to balance the workload and recovery to reach up the highest. They work together to do this. If there is too much of one or the other things won't grow as well as they may not support each other as well. Could topple over or collapse even. It's great to want to get everything in, but do so as planned, or within some parameters allowed for the plan. Otherwise keep moving forward while trying to figure out how to get through a similar situation better in the future.

2013-09-26 6:37 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

The consistency of months of workouts is way more important than any one, two or three missed workouts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missing a planned workout Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Custom Workout Plan and multiple workouts per day

Started by coolshock1
Views: 1809 Posts: 8

2011-02-24 2:39 PM coolshock1

Missing workouts when sick?

Started by annabananamc
Views: 594 Posts: 5

2005-05-31 10:14 AM annabananamc

Sick and missing workouts

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 744 Posts: 6

2005-05-12 7:10 PM Tri-ing

Missed a workout...............

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 706 Posts: 9

2005-04-26 9:25 PM TH3_FRB

keep missing workouts, vicious cycle...

Started by 3aces
Views: 1270 Posts: 14

2005-04-16 10:18 AM 3aces
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : November 9, 2006
author : gsmacleod
Many times a missed workout leads to undue stress and frustration which can adversely affect athletic performance and day-to-day life. Here are some tips to deal with the inevitable missed workout.

date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.