Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Things your SO throws out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-27 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: Things your SO throws out
my SO threw my gym bag. Not any old gym bag but the one I got for doing my double marathon. Lucky for me it was not down the garbage chute and she pulled it back out. Made me wonder what else have people had there SO throw out behind their backs that they did not want them too.

2013-09-27 9:49 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Things your SO throws out

Originally posted by chirunner134 my SO threw my gym bag. Not any old gym bag but the one I got for doing my double marathon. Lucky for me it was not down the garbage chute and she pulled it back out. Made me wonder what else have people had there SO throw out behind their backs that they did not want them too.

Peanut butter jar with a good tablespoon of peanut butter left clinging to the sides.

2013-09-27 10:40 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I guess I don't understand throwing out someone else's stuff? I mean, I get that your SO might not "like" something you wear or own, but that's just mean

A past boyfriend of mine owned this hideous orange jacket - I'm sure it was "cool" at one point but he admitted that he'd owned it since high school. I was mildly embarrassed whenever he wore it - he had many other, newer, and self-admittedly more stylish and functional jackets but insisted on wearing this one from time to time. I "suggested" many times that he throw it in the donation pile but he was stubborn about it. I finally decided there must be some sort of emotional attachment and let it go - I'd hate for someone else to determine the value of meaningful things on my behalf. Wonder if he still has it.

2013-09-27 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Every time we move, my husband just starts throwing stuff away without asking. As a result, we don't have a lot of extra crap, but it's irritating.

- He threw away a brand new pair of bike shoes that my SIL had given me for spinning, just because I hadn't used them yet (it was still summer!).

- Threw away my ski boots one time, because they were crappy, but I really didn't want to have to buy new ones, so I just didn't ski for a couple of years after that.

- He's thrown away all of our coolers (like, the big ones) multiple times, requiring me to go out and buy a new one the next time I needed one - not cheap!

- He threw away a whole set of Christmas dishes once (why can't they at least go to Goodwill? And YES, I only use them once a year, but still??). 

- He recently tried to throw away a bunch of my dress shoes/heels because I apparently don't wear them often enough. Found them in the donate pile and saved them.

That's just the tip of the iceberg - I don't even remember all the crap of mine that he's thrown out over the years. The worst part is that he's a pack rat and actually still has his high school gym shorts that are over 20 years old now.

2013-09-27 11:06 AM

User image

I won't touch something that's originally someone else's, to throw out.

I came home once to find "we" were having a garage sale.

In this sale was a set of tupperware green bowls and matching cups, 4 of each. WTF? Look, I don't ask for much room for stuff. My work bench and this one set of plastic stuff.

"But we have real dishes now, you don't need it"

Yeah, there are reasons I'm divorced.

2013-09-27 11:51 AM
in reply to: DanielG

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I don't touch my wife's personal items and she doesn't touch my stuff (but she does ask or hints at times) - it's for the best.

2013-09-27 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
She hinted maybe she should do the 24 hour and get a new bag. I am like we never go out to try to save money since my surgery. I am all for it but if I am going to spend $500 or more to travel and race I want to get something I always dreamed of doing down rather than doing something small and getting a bag.
2013-09-27 12:06 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I would NEVER throw anything of hers away before asking.  I did once and learned my lesson.  Yogurtland had some cartoon themed plastic spoons (hello kitty or something) and we had a couple dozen of them so TO ME, they were plastic spoons but she REALLY like them and was heart broken when she found out that they were gone (and you can't get them anymore).  If she is going to feel bad about some plastic spoons?  No way I'm touching anything else.  (they are currently loony tunes themed, and I'm NOT tossing them till I get permission.)

Now, I'll ASK and then toss - or try to talk her into throwing it away.  Also, if she has some leftovers in the fridge that are days old I'll toss them, but nothing more valuable than that.

2013-09-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
I threw out my SO.  
2013-09-27 12:36 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

My wife threw out some of my socks a few months ago. She didn't think I should be wearing socks with multiple huge holes in them. Admittedly they were pretty bad and I only kept them to make her mad.

One time she threw out my beard trimmer, that one made me mad. She had been bugging me to buy one that did a better job of collecting the hairs, I didn't want to spend the money on it so she got mad and put my trimmer in the trash. Then she forgot to retrieve it before the garbage man came. Kind of made me mad at the time but not too huge a deal. 

I am not into clutter and prefer the less is more approach when it comes to stuff and items in the house so I am usually all for throwing out or giving things away.

2013-09-27 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by Stacers

Every time we move, my husband just starts throwing stuff away without asking. As a result, we don't have a lot of extra crap, but it's irritating.

- He threw away a brand new pair of bike shoes that my SIL had given me for spinning, just because I hadn't used them yet (it was still summer!).

- Threw away my ski boots one time, because they were crappy, but I really didn't want to have to buy new ones, so I just didn't ski for a couple of years after that.

- He's thrown away all of our coolers (like, the big ones) multiple times, requiring me to go out and buy a new one the next time I needed one - not cheap!

- He threw away a whole set of Christmas dishes once (why can't they at least go to Goodwill? And YES, I only use them once a year, but still??). 

- He recently tried to throw away a bunch of my dress shoes/heels because I apparently don't wear them often enough. Found them in the donate pile and saved them.

That's just the tip of the iceberg - I don't even remember all the crap of mine that he's thrown out over the years. The worst part is that he's a pack rat and actually still has his high school gym shorts that are over 20 years old now.

Holy cow that is a ton of stuff! I'd be having a fit for sure!

One time when my kids were really small (infant and a 2yr old) my husband threw out some sticky tack. I needed that sticky tack for something in particular that I was making like a potty chart for my son or something. It was all finished, we were ready to start but I can't find the blasted sticky tac.  I was P.O.'d. To me at the time it was a reminder or sign of how little he understood about running around with 2 small children. Now I had to make an extra trip to the store which required packing up these two kids, a diaper bag, driving 20 miles, fussing with the kids in the store all for some freaking sticky tack that was RIGHT HERE ON THE COUNTER the day before. I may have had a bit of stay at home Mommy I'm here by myself and you don't care attitude at the time......

Memories, my how things change in a hurry. Now my kids are both in school all day. I can go to the store by myself every day if I need to and I have 2 full packs of sticky tack in the closet .

Needless to say, he doesn't throw things away anymore!

I also reuse or recycle a lot of odd things so he's learned not to throw away much. Egg cartons, yogurt containers, peanut butter jars.

Edited by trigal38 2013-09-27 12:48 PM

2013-09-27 12:55 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by thebigb I threw out my SO.  

*slow clap*

well played.

2013-09-27 1:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-27 1:44 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Extreme Veteran
When my wife and I moved from our first house she was storing some items in plastic tubs in the basement, long story short she ran out of tubs and put ALL her summer clothes in black trash bags and put them in the basement. On moving day I carried them all up and put them on the curb. We moved in March and did not realize till about a month later when she was looking through the tubs for her summer clothes. Needless to say she was not happy nor does she store anything in trash bags anymore.
2013-09-27 1:47 PM
in reply to: trigal38

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Originally posted by trigal38

After reading this thread I will admit that I'm feeling a bit like a pushover for not being more worked up about this

Honestly, it's irritating, but he just doesn't like clutter and it IS only stuff. I usually just laugh and give him crap when it happens, and remind him that now I have to go spend $$ to buy new whatever, so his whole plan backfired. No point getting all worked up about it, otherwise I guess I probably wouldn't still be married to him. Luckily, he's a pretty good guy otherwise!

2013-09-27 2:14 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by chirunner134 my SO threw my gym bag. Not any old gym bag but the one I got for doing my double marathon. Lucky for me it was not down the garbage chute and she pulled it back out. Made me wonder what else have people had there SO throw out behind their backs that they did not want them too.

Peanut butter jar with a good tablespoon of peanut butter left clinging to the sides.

Now THAT is a travesty.  I hate wasting food....especially nut butter, though we use almond.  That sh*t is not only delish, it's expensive man!

2013-09-27 2:16 PM
in reply to: Stacers

Master
Livonia, MI

After reading this thread I will admit that I'm feeling a bit like a pushover for not being more worked up about this

Honestly, it's irritating, but he just doesn't like clutter and it IS only stuff. I usually just laugh and give him crap when it happens, and remind him that now I have to go spend $$ to buy new whatever, so his whole plan backfired. No point getting all worked up about it, otherwise I guess I probably wouldn't still be married to him. Luckily, he's a pretty good guy otherwise!

Now, if you can turn his bad behavior into justification to shop, I might say it's worth the hassle Smile

2013-09-27 2:33 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

Pro
My wife was born and raised in Berkely, Ca....and is the most liberal person I have ever met.  She throws out a lot of bullchit....does that count?  Laughing
2013-09-27 2:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Seattle

We don't throw each other's stuff out.

My friend, however, just made her boyfriend throw out all of his zip-off-at-the-knee hiking pants.

2013-09-27 2:45 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Pro
Originally posted by Asalzwed

My friend, however, just made her boyfriend throw out all of his zip-off-at-the-knee hiking pants.

What? I LOVE those. Though, they really only get worn hiking... 

2013-09-27 2:56 PM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My wife has a habit of putting my stuff in our annual neighborhood yard sale without asking me.  Tried to sell my 1972 Schwinn Continental one year.  Fortunately (for her) it didn't sell, but I wasn't a happy camper when I found out.

She did throw out some pictures of one of my old girlfriends, but I let her get away with that...

Mark

2013-09-27 3:01 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Seattle
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming
Originally posted by Asalzwed

What? I LOVE those. Though, they really only get worn hiking... 

I think that wasn't the case for him and may have precisely been the issue. Smile

2013-09-27 3:02 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I admit it. I throw out, actually recycle little random bits of paper with stuff written on them that are left all over the house.
2013-09-27 4:19 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

Bronze member
Originally posted by noelle1230

Now, if you can turn his bad behavior into justification to shop, I might say it's worth the hassle Smile

Yeah and she has a really good attitude about it!

2013-09-27 4:42 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Portland, Oregon

Originally posted by noelle1230

Yeah and she has a really good attitude about it!

Must be some seriously mind-blowingly awesome PIZZA to put up with that!!

Edited by ell-in-or 2013-09-27 4:45 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Things your SO throws out Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about Earn outs BT

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 893 Posts: 3

2011-02-25 3:27 PM Marvarnett

Chrysler Sr. Debtor hold-outs cave

Started by Force
Views: 2105 Posts: 22

2009-05-09 11:16 AM crusevegas

right thing/wrong thing?? Pages: 1 2

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 1123 Posts: 28

2007-06-30 8:43 PM sf_biggestloser

ROLLER GIRL TRY OUTS!!!

Started by autumn
Views: 1031 Posts: 18

2007-06-26 5:03 PM autumn

The things people throw away Pages: 1 2

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 1765 Posts: 35

2006-03-30 1:11 AM tyrant
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout