General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there such thing as running TOO slow? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-29 6:18 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Subject: RE: Is there such thing as running TOO slow?
There is no such thing as too slow as long as your running form is not altered by the slower pace. I run my easy runs at your pace all the time and sometimes even slower and typically run between 80-100 mpw. I started slowing down my easy days this year and have pr'd at every distance I have raced this year. It really makes a difference if you are running high weekly miles to make those easy days easy so you can hit your speed work days with a venegance. My marathon pr this year is a 3:24 on a hot day in June and a hilly course at the Ann Arbor marathon. I am sure I will get a sub 3:20 in some cooler weather this fall and I attribute it to slowing down on the easy days while running higher milage. My endurance has greatly improved and not to mention with the higher mileage come a higher risk of injury if you push too hard all the time.

2013-09-29 6:41 AM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You could always do what I do--just run for time (and not track distance) on your easy runs, so you don't have to worry about it. There's no law that says just because you can get data that you have to. Actually I do this for most of my runs and always have. I do check periodically with the HRM (and sometimes the Garmin for speedwork) to make sure I'm in the ballpark.
2013-09-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by AsalzwedWith that being said, do you feel it is better to run a little less mileage at the prescribed pace or is it more beneficial to keep the mileage a little higher and let the rest of the paces fall where they will, so long as I'm executing my key workouts?* I should note that although I don't consider my long run a "quality" workout, I run it at a much more acceptable "easy" pace.
As long as you are able to hit your key runs at an appropriate level and have the time, I would normally go with higher volume at a slightly lower pace. In the words of a wise man, "more is more - until it's too much." The trick is finding out what level of more is right for you - good luck!Shane
Perfect. Thanks and thanks to everyone else for your responses!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there such thing as running TOO slow? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why am I running slower?

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1293 Posts: 16

2009-09-25 6:43 AM Scout7

Am I running too slow?

Started by thndrcloud
Views: 577 Posts: 2

2009-07-23 10:31 PM gcirongirl

"Ran" my 1st 5K today, glad I finished HORRIFIED I am so slow Pages: 1 2

Started by maxmansmom
Views: 3308 Posts: 37

2008-11-28 9:02 PM Cardholic

long slow runs - how much slower?

Started by couch potato no more
Views: 1805 Posts: 11

2008-04-27 6:11 PM Jazon71

Am I to Slow to participate?

Started by Tamzo
Views: 1254 Posts: 4

2003-08-15 6:25 AM Tamzo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : January 10, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.