World Triathlon Corporation
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 36m 30s
Overall Rank = 21/670
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/670
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 to get coffee and some breakfast- typical toast, peanut butter, honey and a banana.
Event warmup:

given the 30 degree temps- it was all about staying warm before donning the wet suit. No swim warm up for me! learned that if sand is cold- socks and grocery bags on feet is a good bet. hopefully this knowledge will never have to be put to use!
Swim
  • 1h 07m 26s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Cold air temps, cold water, 6000 ft elevation. Took it really easy on first lap. Was hoping that leg cramps wouldn't catch me, but they did with 500 yds to go. Had to hop onto one of the platforms to work out the horrific leg, foot, toe cramp. Probably lost 2 minutes there. Had to just tough out the last yards to get out of the swim and keep going.
What would you do differently?:

leg cramps plague me on swims- had 2 OWS earlier in the season of 2+ miles and didn't have them. Guessing the cold water was to blame.
Transition 1
  • 14m 30s
Comments:

Given the conditions, T1 went okay. Hands completely useless so thankfully the volunteer was amazing and helped put on the following: 2 sets of leg warmers, wool socks, 2 tri tops, 2 sets arm warmers, 1 wind jacket, long gloves, helmet and shoes. I was lucky that I got there early enough to have room and a dedicated volunteer to help with all of the garb.

Run from changing tent to bike was a long one- in bike shoes! Finally found bike, volunteer scraped off the ice on the saddle and off we go!
Bike
  • 7h 12m 30s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.54 mile/hr

learn to go faster downhill!
Transition 2
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

quick change to shed layers- switched to run shorts, 1 tri top, t set arm warmers
Run
  • 4h 56m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

The bike pretty much killed my legs so took awhile to find a rhythm that just didn't happen . Ran steady for first few miles, then moved to a walk / run pace. Focused on running 3x as much as the walking.

Temps got much cooler when the sun went down so grabbed a fleece and gloves from special needs.

Stayed on nutrition plan- 4 gus and some chicken broth to keep me going

Altitude likely had an effect but hard to tell after cold swim and hard bike what the issue was. My training for the run was great- hit all of my long training runs and felt like I could have gone 4:20 or so- so 30 minutes slower was disappointing

not sure
Post race
Warm down:

met family and walked around a bit. Shower, a quick bite and then down to cheer in and help friend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weather, altitude. relentless hills

Event comments:

IMLT is not for the faint of heart. I would have a hard time recommending to a first timer simply because the weather, altitude and bike course are so unique. If you have access to train at altitude and hills, you'll be okay. I train on hills, but don't have mountains to climb in TN!

The setting is awesome- it's by far the most beautiful course. Volunteers and local support are great- and bragging rights for this one are large. If you do sign up- be prepared for anything and bring all of your gear! I had to buy jacket on site and thankful that I did- wouldn't have made it in those conditions without it!

Last updated: 2013-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:26 | 4224 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/670
Overall: 265/670
Performance: Average
Suit: full wetsuite- TYR Hurricane 3
Course: beach start- 2 loops. Approx 150 yds to wade/run before water was deep enough to start swimming
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 14:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:12:30 | 112 miles | 15.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/670
Overall: 0/670
Wind: Little
Course: Tahoe is not an easy bike course! 2 Cat 5 climbs and 4 Cat 2 climbs= one long day in the saddle. The climbs were long and relentless. Followed by some scary descents. Goal was to stay steady on the climbs and not burn out too much. Had a 50-34 and 11-28 set up. This seemed to work well. I am a wimp on the descents and watched as all I passed going up flew past me going down Finally shed leg warmers and one set of arm warmers at mile 65. While hot going up climbs, those long descents were still chilly. Fueling on the bike was hard given the terrain. Can't eat going up- can't eat going down. My EFS flasks came in handy- would pack 1 more for next time. Left way too much nutrition on bike. Was slightly queasy on bike which made eating harder- could have been altitude or cold. Not sure
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:56:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 210/670
Overall: 0/670
Performance: Below average
Course: fairly flat 2 loop course- long first lap, short second lap. Dark once the sun went down
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-27 7:57 PM

Subject: Ironman Lake Tahoe

2013-09-27 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4865861

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe
Great rr - and nice job out there!  Good placing in the biggest AG!!
2013-09-28 1:36 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe
Wow you had a lot of double layers! But I bet you were nice and warm, smart move! I get cramps swimming too, mine started on the first lap. Training I rarely got them (although they have always been an issue for me & I have gotten on every IM but usually not until the end), so I think the cold water had something to do with it.Nice job, you were speedy!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Tahoe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by wannabefaster
Views: 2424 Posts: 11

2013-09-30 9:08 AM TrishM

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by Galas2
Views: 1695 Posts: 7

2013-09-27 7:48 PM velcromom

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1398 Posts: 2

2013-09-24 11:31 PM velcromom

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by tamoneya
Views: 1919 Posts: 6

2013-09-27 10:57 AM wannabefaster

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3437 Posts: 8

2013-09-30 6:29 AM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.